Room Acoustics compensater

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

bcslaam

Room Acoustics compensater

Post by bcslaam »

Check out the new IK Multimedia ARC.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/Main.html?arc/index.php

I wish we had the equivalent in scope.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

I was thinking of something like this, it might be a bit more "manual" though because of atom limitations.

Keep in mind that it will not be as helpful as treating your room.

if you correct a room mode with an equalizer it is not really helping the problem much. the resonant (time based) smear is still there, but now it is quieter, and the output of that frequency from you monitors direct path to your ears is also now reduced or boosted.

lets say you put the microphone where your head usually is. and you find a big dip at 250hz, so you boost 250hz. then you find out somewhere your producer/musician/buddy is sitting sounds even more crap than before. thats because your head was in a place where the standing waves cancel out, and your producer is in a place where the standing wave is reinforcing itself.

and you can drive yourself crazy because if you move the microphone 1 foot then the peaks and valleys can move around a lot because of the standing waves. sometimes up to 15db at a given frequency.

so you might smooth the room out a bit but you might ruin the direct sound from your speakers.

it would be especially true for small studio and nearfield monitors.

anyways if SC decides i am worthy to have a SDK key ill look into it :D
garyb

Post by garyb »

bullsh*t!!

this is for lazy people with too much money and not enough knowledge or motivation to make the room sound better. this is the ultimate expression of polishing a turd. yes, it may become shiny, but it's still a turd.

the only way such a device/program would actually work is if the room is already close to good.

spend the money on proper bass traps and diffusion!
Last edited by garyb on Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
studioblabla

Post by studioblabla »

And what about those http://www.jblpro.com/lsr/lsr4328P.html?
they get good reviews...

Bart
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Hmmm.. dunno about you but i always think the best speakers are ones that are flat and stay flat - lordy only knows what artifacts to your sound an adjusting speaker would add.
bcslaam

Post by bcslaam »

Yeah I know your right Neutron and others. And indeed I have spent money on bass traps. I need to look into it further however.

Placement of panels etc would be the key because there is something I just cant change and thats the shape of my room. It definitely wouldn't leave it on all the time. I would just use it as another comparison at mixdown. And use the graphics (to compliment my ears) to help with the placement of panels etc.

Anyway Neutron you should have an SDK. I always liked your devices.

Thanks
Ben
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

I think the best thing as well as bass traps is to put some absorbers on the wall and ceiling where you can get the first reflection from the speaker at your listening position.
astroman

Post by astroman »

yeah, great advertizer's language on the IK page
• Sonically 'treat' your room so you can finally trust the sound of your studio
indeed, a very good advice - and it's just the print style suggesting that this is a program feature, after all it remains... an advice :P
wrote:...It then combines this information to provide an accurate representation of the room’s acoustical problems. The equalization solution then corrects for both time and frequency response problems more effectively and efficiently than any other room correction EQ on the market...
it does not say that it will correct the problem - it just treats them more 'effectively and efficiently' than the competition ;)

cheers, Tom
wolf

Post by wolf »

SpEQtrum owners can do this already in a manual way as it can show input and output spectrum at the same time.
Basically you just need a sweep or pink noise and a spectrum/fft analyzer.
However before actually adjusting a EQ it's indeed always better to find the place where the frequency issue or echo is coming from (as already mentioned above).