Velocity controller

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

Neil B

Velocity controller

Post by Neil B »

I have a very poor master keyboard really - Roland PC180A.
Although it is velocity sensitive, it hasn't really got any feel to it.
If I want max velocity I have to almost hit the keys louder than the sound it produces - not very good for fast playing.

In the past I had a Yamaha SY77 and there was a slider on that that set constant velocity values. This was ideal.

I need something similar now so that I can test the subtle nuances of my GPO strings, or finding the sweet spot on the scope synths, controlling a 303 or a Trilogy bass etc.

I've searched the forums and can't find anything.

So, is there a device out there that I can put on the input side (pre-Cubase) to take the incoming note-on messages and vary the velocities to suit. One simple slider that I could control from my Kenton Kontrol Freak would be ideal.
Everything else can simply pass through unchanged.

Is it something that can be done easily in Modular?

Any help appreciated
borg

Post by borg »

there is a device that iirc djmicron made about a year ago.

it's called 'velocity fixer'. it, well, fixes the velocity to a desired value. can't remember whether it's midi controlable...

here it is:
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... city+fixer
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

You can already do what you want in Cubase by using the midi track velocity attenuator in the 'Track Parameters' section. If you wanted to you could even get a little liveliness by using the random velocity value option below the standard velo attenuator. To do that you just set the min & max values to say 100 & 127 then your midi notes will randomly jump between those values & all the ones in between.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yep.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Hi Shroomz
Yes I appreciate about being able to do it in Cubase, but that's a bit restrictive.

Imagine I have a Scope project on the go, no Cubase. In this case I want to be able to vary the velocity of the scope synth whilst playing a few notes and using my freak slider to modify the velocity - think of it as auditioning.

Within Cubase, be they scope or VSTi synths, I want to be able to do the same thing pre-recording. So instead of mousing the fixed velocity up & down, I want to be able to use a slider again. I know that I can do this without recording a part.
In one respect I could record a part with 128 notes in and then ramp the velocities up to test a patch or synth. Again though this isn't very conducive to messing about and playing about with a slider (think about an acid 303 patch that you want to scream a bit more)

My pc is 90degrees to my keyboard & controller so it would be better to control the velocity from the midi in side of Scope, pre-anything really

Thanks anyway

And of course I'm only on 32/5.1 so I don't know if there is a better feature in more recent versions
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Thanks - have checked it out but will reply in the devices forum