VST Host Devices

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

LHong

Post by LHong »

VST(i) Host Devices would be nice!
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

VST's are built intrinsecally to work on cpu, so a communication through a driver like ASIO or Multimedia etc. is indispensable. They can't be calculated on sharcs, so what you ask for can only be accomplished by a vst host (daw or vst virtual racks) and communicate through fast ASIO, wich thing exists....
JLS

Post by JLS »

But Sfp engine + grafic engine calculated normal CPU !!!

Where is problem ?

Idea is not calculate sharc

Only sharc to cpu wraper and cpu to sharc wraper ( latency setting like Asio engine )

All other process calculated normal CPU

Not possibility ?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: megerov on 2005-08-15 00:32 ]</font>
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

On 2005-08-15 00:31, megerov wrote:
But Sfp engine + grafic engine calculated normal CPU !!!

Where is problem ?

Idea is not calculate sharc

Only sharc to cpu wraper and cpu to sharc wraper ( latency setting like Asio engine )

All other process calculated normal CPU

Not possibility ?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: megerov on 2005-08-15 00:32 ]</font>
You said "like ASIO"....no, it has to be ASIO, that's exactly the fast driver needed by a VST host, so that thing would not be different from any existing VST host. If the only goal is to have a small program looking like a device opened in scope, it needs some coding outside of scope, it's something too complicated and practically not so useful. And as it should use ASIO, it would monopolize those drivers, so you couldn't open another ASIO app for recording.
If someone has the urge to use VSTi's, the easiest, straightest, more flexible, efficient, experimented, optimized and unlimiting way is to set as many ASIO I/O's you need, open a VST app and load them there.

And you can also record Audio and MIDI tracks if you want.

There is no advantage, but the opposite in what you ask.

My 0,02 €

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: alfonso on 2005-08-15 01:09 ]</font>
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

double...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: alfonso on 2005-08-15 01:09 ]</font>
astroman

Post by astroman »

I have EnergyXT for the purpose of VSTi integration, though that's mostly to demo (and be disappointed by...) native stuff. :wink:

Was 30 bucks if memory serves, and there are probably even free wrappers, so imho it's not worth to put any effort in this.

Since XT is completely modular there's almost no load on the host CPU (at least not that I noticed) and it starts in just a couple of seconds - very convenient.
to be fair: it's also a complete sequencer and a nice midi tool and some more :smile:

cheers, tom
at0m

Post by at0m »

Anyone using other VST/ASIO sequencers can insert a VST by routing it through the sequencer. Then one can alias the ASIO io in SFP with an External Effect that you can insert in mixers or racks.

Maybe CW can come up with some more direct VST hosting, but that would require some rework and new SFP modules I guess...
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
LHong

Post by LHong »

An ASIO Clone driver! May be?
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Interesting.
Would be nice to have those plugs available closely to DSP.
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

I don't really mind using the External Effect module in Scope; it's easy. The thing I don't like is the way Sonar works: you can't label ASIO drivers the way you want to (so you don't know what's going to what), and soloing a track turns off the input monitoring track. I wish there were a way I could make an input monitoring track immune to solo. There might have been such a feature implemented in the latest version of Sonar 4, but I don't know because I only have Sonar 3. :sad:

Shayne
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com
at0m

Post by at0m »

re:no solo defeat on sonar's mixer

No 'Solo Defeat' on SX's channels either. Indispensable for the (2) ramp tracks I usually have in the project, controlling all sorts of stuff in patches. So I solo tracks downstream, or MIDI, wherever it suits best for that situation. Not perfect, but it comes close :smile:
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
dawman

Post by dawman »

I would love a VSTi Host Module. For the simple reason of having a MIDI sequencer. I've heard VSTi instruments, they are obviously marketed for people born after the analog days, i.e. 1990. Right now I run GS3 through Scope, and have the ability to use VST FX, don't like those much either. However
a multi threaded VSTi Mod. that could have the CPU affinity settings like Andre has used, but designed to be used with future Intel Yonah CPU, and have an adapter from PCI to PCI-e, and with GSIF2 drivers, and run super low power wattage,.... sorry, I tend to get carried away.