Stupid Mixer Tricks: Automating SFP Mixers from SX

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

pseudojazzer

Post by pseudojazzer »

i tried this out, as it seemed like a useful thing, but have since had to revert back to my previous way of doing thing, because i find that when i have scope and cubase running in this configuation , that all the scope faders move to a default of either 99 or 101, and all the pans change to -1 left, evne though in cubase the volumes are 0 and panned central - its a small glitch, but annoying. Has anyone else had this? (in SX3 BTW)
Cheers
hubird

Post by hubird »

check the content of the automation track at the very beginning of the automation part (Controll-G on pc I guess).
Also, if you use two monitors, try to swap the mixer to the other monitor and check again it's behaviour...I have the same behaviour with Waves plugs, changing monitor works here... :eek:
my 0.02...
pseudojazzer

Post by pseudojazzer »

Thanks for the reply Hubird, unfortunaltly i've only got the one monitor, and the automation seems to be set as default (i.e - central/zero values) i thought it might be some small error when the generic remote "translates" the values - maybe "0" is rounded to either 99 or 101 in scope, because i know that the values are only from 0 to 127? I dunno! thats the only thing i can think of.
Me$$iah

Post by Me$$iah »

ok
this sounds awesome..tho I dont understand a word of the explination..Train the sfp to respond to CCs ..What...

Can this please be explained again, for someone real stupid..ME....

I'd love to be able to do this but I've now idea how..

Id also download the premade one ... cept I dont use, nor have the 24mixer

I wanna do this to control a 1632 mixer. Any help would be really appriciated...
And if anyone wants to knock up a ready to go remote file ...well .that would be too much..anyone fancy it??

cheers
Messiah

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Me$$iah on 2005-10-19 03:33 ]</font>
ChristianB

Post by ChristianB »

I tried the generic remote trick with the 1648s SFP mixer AND the faders and the surround pan 'x' are responding fine BUT the surround PAN 'y' is inverted : if pan is front position in Cubase sx2 then the pan position is back in SFP and vice versa !!!
Anybody as a trick to solve that ???

CB)-
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

i do not understand at all the way this helps.
can i use for example 48 asios?
is it possible to controll scopes mixer and this to be send to nuendo? instead of controlling nuendo and send to scope?
also, i think that when both mixers are working the result of pot movement will be doubled??? is that correct or nuendo is going to be bypassed?
isn't there some kind of prob whith so much midi info sended?
virtualstudio

Post by virtualstudio »

Can this please be explained again, for someone real stupid..ME....
I'm with you ! please can some one explain it in very simple words with maybe some screenshot's
I don't see how I can record and edit a automation-track
when I add the 01v I can connect it to a midi channel. but when I try that with the generic remote I can't attach it to a channel???
(@At0m, do you know some dutch links where I can learn more about midi in dutch)

thanks
Me$$iah

Post by Me$$iah »

right.

I got it.
What I do to automate the desk is
First make sure the desk is MIDI'd to the seq out

1 open a MIDI channel in cubase
2 turn it and the desk to the same channel ( i use 16)
3 right clik on the bit of the desk I want to automate. Then in the box that open up put the mouse over the icon that looks like a triangle (controller ranger) Clik it
4 select on of the empty numbers...these are the CCs (continuous controllers)
5 in the MIDI track on cubase open up the automation section under the track, usually it opens up the volume first.
6 clik in the box where it says volume, and box appears clik the ..'more' choice, then another box with a folder option -All CCs. Clik that
7 Select the same number as you did for the bit of the desk that required automating

And that works for me.

Cheers
Me$$iah
virtualstudio

Post by virtualstudio »

what is desk???
I want to automate my stm mixers

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: virtualstudio on 2006-03-02 15:18 ]</font>
hubird

Post by hubird »

a mixer is also called 'desk'.
The STM mixer is a... virtual desk, in a virtual studio :smile: :grin:
virtualstudio

Post by virtualstudio »

On 2006-03-02 07:59, Me$$iah wrote:

6 clik in the box where it says volume, and box appears clik the ..'more' choice, then another box with a folder option -All CCs. Clik that
7 Select the same number as you did for the bit of the desk that required automating

And that works for me.

Cheers
Me$$iah
thanks so far
at point 6 I'm lost...When I click on "more", I get a box Add Parameter. but there is no option to click all CC's ??
(@Hubird, oooh tafel :grin: dom he)
ChristianB

Post by ChristianB »

On 2006-01-28 11:21, ChristianB wrote:
I tried the generic remote trick with the 1648s SFP mixer AND the faders and the surround pan 'x' are responding fine BUT the surround PAN 'y' is inverted : if pan is front position in Cubase sx2 then the pan position is back in SFP and vice versa !!!
Anybody as a trick to solve that ???

CB)-
Nobody as this problem ???
Cb)-
rodos1979

Post by rodos1979 »

It's been a while that I have not been using the preset that I had posted (as I mix in Cubase). But if I remember right, I had made it so that you can move the faders in Cubase, and the STM faders move correspondingly. However, the audio that leaves from Cubase and goes to Scope, is pre-fader, so that the position of the faders in SX do not affect the sound, but they are just a visual aid. I did it like that, so that one can mix visually in Cubase, while in reality the sound gets mixed in STM. The reason for that was that I find the Scope Environment TOO slow visually.

I hope that clears things up. :smile:

P.S. I hope you make sense, because I didnt phraze it very well...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rodos1979 on 2006-03-06 14:27 ]</font>
Chisel

Post by Chisel »

Wow, I wish Ableton Live had this feature. I'd love to control the faders in Live and have it automatically move the faders in the STM!
voidar

Post by voidar »

I remember using a Fruity Loops XY-controller plug-in for that in Live some time ago.

The XY just controlling the pan/vol on a Scope mixer.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Just searched for this post after a need for it and can't wait to try it.

Would be nice to automate SFP mixer by Cubase controlling it.

Thanks