Some hints as to XTC mode

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

GonZoft

Post by GonZoft »

The following hints are primarly to XTC mode under Cubase SX, but should also apply to other hosts.

1. This is the very first unavoidable step towards a working XTC mode:
Edit your XTCProject.pro (with the SFP project editor) so that it fits your needs and use always the same sort of ASIO In and ASIO Out drivers therein. The following is VERY important:

Connect one ASIO Source with the merge module, the input of the Merge module with it's own output, and this output again with an ASIO Dest. Use this connection when mixing down to a stereo track in real time. You have to mix realtime, cause the export audio function does not work for XTC devices (produces loads of noise).

Connect one ASIO Source with the inputs of the DirectPlayMixerContainer module, and the outputs of this module with the Dest module of your CW card that you use for monitoring (e.g. Analogue Dest). Use this connection for monitoring audio AND the CW synths in XTC mode.

2. This is the second unavoidable step towards a working XTC mode: XTC is NOT available when SFP is running. So, do NOT launch SFP if you want XTC mode. When you start Cubase in XTC mode, ignore any messages that this or other SFP device is not available in XTC mode. CW is only trying to annoy you with these obvious messages.

3. If you are using Cubase SX, refresh your plugin info display in (XTC mode!) after the first install of SFP and SX. For some reason, SX displays (and calculates) the delay of XTC effects and instruments wrong if you don't do this. If you are not sure if the delays are correct, just refresh, it won't hurt.

4. If the CW cursors annoy you, delete or simply rename the folder /SFP/App/Application/Cursor (save it first, if you are going to delete the original one). This will give you your usual cursors back.

5. Always use the MultiFX modules when inserting more than one effect into channels in Cubase SX. Save the preset of the MultiFX, else Cubase won't remember the settings of the effects inserted into it the next time you open the program (SX). It seems that every host remembers only the settings of one instance below and effects inserted into the MultiFX are two instances below SX.

6. Do not use MasterVerb as insert, it does not work properly. It looks good when you first do it, but closing Cubase and reopening will crash MasterVerb and all settings will be lost.

7. XTC mode does not remember your ULLI settings unless you do the following:

Add the following entry into your /SFP/App/Bin/Cset.ini under item
[XTC-config]:

intBlkSize=x

whereby x is a values out of 64, 128, 256, 512 or 1024 and translates as follows to the card's latency:

64: latency = 3 ms
128: latency = 4 ms
256: latency = 7 ms
512: latency = 13 ms
1024: latency = 25 ms

A wrong latency will still be displayed in the ULLI Settings of the ASIO Control Panel, but you can ignore this.

It is a good idea to refresh the plugin info display after changing ULLI settings.

8. Believe it or not, but Cubase SX DOES compensate the latency of XTC instruments. If you are experiencing delays when playing XTC instruments, check item 3. above.

9. If the Volkszampler gives you a "nil reference on left side of..." message at any stage, reinstall the Volkszampler.dll (by hand, copy/paste it from the respective installation folder of the SFP software to the VstpluginsXTC folder)

to be continued...

The GonZoft studios.

Visit us at http://GonZoft.tripod.com/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GonZoft on 2002-11-19 07:30 ]</font>
Nizor

Post by Nizor »

i'd like to know one thing, as you seem to be technically good with xtc mode.

In cubase SX, i play in XTC mode a couple of instruments from pulsar (eds8i and inferno synth).
I also send midi notes to my Korg Triton to play a bassline.
The problem is that i get latency. the beat played by the edsi8 is not synced with the triton. i'd say that i get about 80ms delay. that's a pity for beats because i get a double bassdrum and that kills all my mix.

Any idea ??
at0m

Post by at0m »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: at0mic on 2003-02-22 02:28 ]</font>
GonZoft

Post by GonZoft »

@ Nizor:

check item 8. of my first posting in this topic.

The GonZoft studios.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GonZoft on 2002-11-19 07:28 ]</font>
GonZoft

Post by GonZoft »

updated.
Thanks for listening.

The GonZoft studios.

six_wax

Post by six_wax »

This was very helpful to me. Thanks!

BTW-- All XTC users should go respond to the poll here: http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... &forum=5&4

Please speak up!
mano

Post by mano »

Great post!

By the way, for some reason Masterverb works great here in XTC mode.. The settings are loaded correctly and it doesn't crash.
sym90

Post by sym90 »

Seconded! Great Post!

regards
sYm
thorkell

Post by thorkell »

Just have to thank you for this great post!
MiXiT-G

Post by MiXiT-G »

Thanks Gonzoft for the tips.

Just a couple questions what do you mean by merge module? do you mean midi merger?

Just an idea but could you take a screenshot of your XTC routing config?

Thanks
Pip

Post by Pip »

I'm complete pulsar virgin - can you please show me the routing - by capturing the page.
Pip
at0m

Post by at0m »

Pip

Post by Pip »

Thanks - I now understand my problem, I'm not (nor will be) using my pulsar card as my asio driver in cubase - so no XTC mode - BOOOOOOOH!
Kenf

Post by Kenf »

Hi
XTC mode is driving me mental! I am using SX2, Pulsar2 and a Luna in SFP mode everything is just dandy. I recently started using SFPs compressors (instead of my mixers)still in SFP mode. I noticed here, that a few have said that XTC mode works well with SX2, delay compensation.... So I gave XTC made a try and it worked... great. I noticed that none of the synths would work, so I went through and implemented Gonzofts recommendations. Hoping this was the source of the missing synths. I couldn't find the Merge Module nor the DirectPlayContainer so I modified the original XTCProject.pro file deleting and adding I/O to suit my system.
Now XTC mode does not see my I/O just the default I/O in the original XTCProject. Has any one any ideas why XTC is picking up the original XTCProject? I have deleted off my system completely and when I open the XTCProject it's my I/O.
Help
Regards
Kenf
Kenf

Post by Kenf »

Hi
It's me again... Solved the I/O thing. In SX VST connections pressed 'reset' and the correct I/O appeared in SX. It was there all along but not showing.
Still can't get synths to work (except Zorb and Poison) they appear in VST Instruments but when I load one, a box appears called say 'bluesynth' but no synth interface appears when I press edit and it does not appear in the midi dropdown... but Zorb and Poison do.
Thanks
Kenf

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kenf on 2003-12-09 15:41 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

Hi,

My devices (and presets etc) are in a custom folder on another drive. I used to have problems with devices showing up in XTC list in Cubase, they would not load properly. I just updated the paths to the devices in the setup file c:sfpappbinscopevst.cfg and added some paths to 3rd party synths. Now all devices show and load properly in Cubase :smile:

at0mic.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
deR

Post by deR »

@KENF

Hi. I have had the same problem (see PRBOBLEMSOLVING discussion.
I copied all the files and folders from C:SFPDEVICES to C:SFPDEVICESXTC where those plug-ins that did not load in Cubase should be. They were not being copied to this location by SFP installation software for some reason(?). After doing that it should work.

Have a nice day. deR

** I have just realized that your posting is from way back in time :smile: and you probably got the problem solved anyway now. However someone might have the same problem and find help here. **

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: deR on 2004-06-22 02:19 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: deR on 2004-06-22 02:20 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: deR on 2004-06-22 13:37 ]</font>
R0zzer

Post by R0zzer »

Here's a tip on how to get Wave Source working in XTC mode. I saw a few posts around asking if it could be done, but I never found an answer, so here it is:

The tiny Mix2 device can be found here (thanks to AndreD :smile:, and thanks to at0m|c for pointing me towards it :smile:):

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 5&forum=16

Oddly enough, I tried using micromixer instead of the Mix2 device and it didn't work, even though others have reported it does.

There you have it. Unfortunately, an asio host must be running for the wave drivers to work, but at least you can use Winamp/Media Player etc whilst your host is running.

R :smile: zzer

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: R0zzer on 2004-08-06 14:52 ]</font>
Faxi Nadu

Post by Faxi Nadu »

hey
could someone explain why the merge and direct mix devices are used?
thanks
symbiote

Post by symbiote »

Hmm I had posted a tip, but nevermind, forgot I had left SFP open :S

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: symbiote on 2005-01-31 20:10 ]</font>