Tutorial: How to use a VST effect as a Pulsar Big Mixer Aux

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Go <a href="http://www.musicalica.de/musicalica/tut ... index.html" target="_blank">here</a> for a version of this tutorial with pictures.

For this tutorial, a reverb was used, because the latency of the asio-drivers (~20ms) is less important with such an effect. If you don't have a reverb-plugin, try the freeverb2 I found on cubase.net. It's a good-quality-plugin - and it's free!

1. First of all the two asio-modules get 2 more channels each (here: 18 and 4 channels). Then the last two channels of ASIO source are connected to A1L and A1R of the BigMixer. AUX 1+2 are connected to 2L and 2R of the ASIO Dest module.

2. Now we turn on the AUX-send 1+2 and the AUX-Return 1...

3. ...and adjust the level of AUX-Send of the used channels. AUX Send 1 is left and AUX Send 2 is right.

4. The Pulsar-related settings are complete! Now the cubase-settings: first we activate BUS 9 (the BUS connected to the AUX-Return 1 = A1L+A1R). It's in "Audio / Master".

5. Select and turn on the freeverb ("Audio / effects") and route the output to BUS 9 - that one we just activated.

6. Activate the monitoring ("Audio / System").

7. Activate the second input ("Audio / inputs").

8. At the end we have to do some settings on an unused stereo-channel in the cubase mixer (add another one in "Audio / System" if none is left):

Turn on AUX-Send 1 and set it "pre"
Select IN 2L and IN 2R as input for this stereo-channel (press CTRL while clicking to select the input)
Simply click on the input-selector (IN 2L and IN 2R) to turn on monitoring
Press the "Mute"-Button to avoid getting the original signal twice.
Well done! Now you can use the freeverb2 as an AUX-effect in your BigMixer (e.g. for your STS-4000, synthies, analog source, ...). But always remember the latency (~20ms). But you can subtract it from the predelay-time in the reverb! And with Pulsar V2.0 you are able to reduce the latency using ULLI (13ms @ 44.1khz with Pulsar I). With Pulsar II Hardware the latency is less than 5 ms. I found out, that cubase doesn't save the monitoring in the channel-settings. So click on the input-selector of the channel each time you load your project to reactivate it!

Thanks to <a href="mailto:robert@musicalica.de">Robert Brückmann</a>.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Cooper on 2001-03-30 08:28 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Cooper on 2001-09-28 09:04 ]</font>
oneartist

Post by oneartist »

Robert & John,
Your tutorial is about the most helpful presentation I've ever seen on a bb. I have Logic with ASIO and I'm going to try and make it work.
Thanks,
Chuck
Artist of Watercolor, Music and Life - gifts from God
Mo

Post by Mo »

<font face="times new roman" size="3">is there a similar way to do this in logic audio?
what do i have to set/activate that i can route an aux signal through a verb within logic´s audio configuration window?

<b><i>thanks</i></b></font>