Avoid Xite Scope crash

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Avoid Xite Scope crash

Post by JoPo »

After many Xite use years, I discovered something that might interest other users. (I don't think this tip is valid for PCI card system : I still have pci cards and I never had the kind of issue I'm describing)

Sometimes, when loading, closing or saving a project, Scope crashes. And Sometimes, after the crash, if I move the mouse over the Scope system tray icon, the computer crashes too with BSOD. I would be very surprised if no Xite user else experiment this issue since I had it with several pc config. I noticed since long time that if this damn Scope icon would not be there, it would maybe avoid certain of those crash issues.

Accidentally, I discovered that by ending the explorer.exe task for some reasons (when Scope is already running), then running it on again, that the Scope system tray icon doesn't show up again. And none of Scope crash issue I mentionned before seem to happen again !

So... First, a question :
I don't find how to avoid the Scope system tray icon to show up : I checked the cset.ini and even the appearance.ini and no luck. Is there a possibility to not have the Scope icon in the system tray ? (without killing explorer.exe task)
I don't think it's possible... But tell me if 'm wrong !

Then, an advice (if you experiment the same issues as me) :
Kill the explorer.exe task once Scope is running, then run it again in the windows task manager : file-->new task-->type 'explorer'-->enter (I'm on W7). So far, I didn't have any of mentioned Scope crash again !

Cheers ! ;)
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
dawman

Re: Avoid Xite Scope crash

Post by dawman »

I’ve never seen this.
I save to file first, then go to settings > projects, save as default and start up, then x on the live bar to save as new/start up after every use.
Almost 9 years now and I never see a crash of any kind.
Which is why I cannot even think of using another Audio/MIDI Interface.

Sounds like there might be a folder stashed inside another folder.
garyb

Post by garyb »

if you have the icon.ico in Scope\app\Scope App, you can remove it.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

--> Dawman --> You're a lucky guy !

--> Gary --> It removes only the icon, not the system tray feature.
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's probably the icon that is the troublemaker.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Don't have any difference with or without the icon, unlike with or without Scope system tray !
garyb

Post by garyb »

maybe the update will fix your issue.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I remember some threads where other people told me they have same issues. And a s I said, I had them with at least 3 configs. I'm impatient to download the update !
garyb

Post by garyb »

i haven't seen these issues, but that doesn't necessarily invalidate them.

don't be impatient. just download it.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

!! I didn't see there was any !! Thanks !
garyb

Post by garyb »

v7 .0.1706, i believe...
guppy

Post by guppy »

Same here, since my old scope cards, and with xite1 too.
I never found the solution, but after 10 or 12 hours, loading a big module can freeze scope, and it's still there on scope 7 and lead to a blue screen.
I live with it since years, and i've changed 4 or 5 times my configuration and motherboard since my first scope computer.
I'd be happy if we can find a solution, i've tried everything on my part. Nobody knows how to end it.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Sadly, I'm not as optimistic as at the beginning with my system tray tip.... :D
guppy

Post by guppy »

If you let your computer on with the blank freezed scope window, it will release scope after some hours... :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

especially is "reset board if idle" is checked in the settings page of the device manager entry for the Scope hardware...

since v7, XITEs have the option to disable this Windows function...
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

oh man. Good catch, thanks
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

guppy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:22 pm If you let your computer on with the blank freezed scope window, it will release scope after some hours... :)
:o Damn ! I don't understand anything of what you mean ! :-? The blank freezed scope window ? What ? Where ? When ? How ? I never had any blank freezed scope window ! It's very harrowing and scary that sometimes, I'm like someone who comes from another planet and being incapable to have an idea of what is said ! I understand each word, though, but with all them together, I don't get anything ! Help !

:lol:

For the "reset board if idle" tip, I hope it will help ! Thanks for the info, Gary !
So far, I didn't have any issue with the small Scope 7 update. But I don't think drivers have been updated : they are the same files as in previous version.
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, they have not been updated. other than the known wave driver issue, you weren't describing a driver problem, however.
guppy

Post by guppy »

JoPo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:04 am :o Damn ! I don't understand anything of what you mean ! :-? The blank freezed scope window ? What ? Where ? When ? How ? I never had any blank freezed scope window !
la fenetre scope blanche et figée si tu préferes, mais si je laisse tourner 4 ou 5h (j'ai toujours le son pendant ce temps malgré tout), ca défige...va comprendre...

I could make it happen just now (scope is launched since hours, ready for freezing on load) , but after freeze comes bsod, so i'll do it later :)
it was on scope 4, 4.5,5, and 7, with cards and xite1, no matter optimizations and other voodoo tricks, with different hardwares. So i know that if i want to launch big modules after hours of work, better to relaunch scope and daw. Annoying, but not as much as working without scope.
As scope comes back after hours if i let it sleep on freeze, maybe it's on the memory side...i'll never know
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Amazing ! I never had that ! How is it possible it happend for you with different pc AND PCI's & Xite !? As technician on huge industrial automatic machines, when there is an issue like that, I must try to find what is common between all of that stuff that has the same issue.
Was your SC/Creamware hardware connected to the same 'anything' from the beginning ? Something you always kept ? Hardware of software. It would be the guilty !

Je n'ai jamais eu de fenêtre blanche, moi ! C'est gueudin ! Il faut que tu trouves ce qui est toujours resté commun à toutes tes configs comme du matos (2° carte son, midi ou ch'ai pas quoi), même un device que tu utilises tout le temps dans Scope ou un logiciel qui tourne en permanence sur tes configs. C'est obligatoirement ça le coupable. Si il y a plusieurs trucs communs, il faut que tu les enlèves/remettes un par un jusqu'à ce que tu n'aies plus de blème et tu tiendras le vrai coupable. Ouiiii, je sais, c'est facile à dire et tu as certainement déjà essayé. Mais franchement, c'est la 1° fois que j'entends parler de ça, es-tu le seul à qui ça arrive ? Si oui, c'est forcément un truc chez toi spécifiquement, 'suffit de le trouver ! Il n'y a aucune raison que tu sois le seul à avoir ce problème. Je ne veux pas te paraitre prétentieux mais si ça n'arrive que chez toi, il y a forcément moyen d'y remédier.

Did you check what your computer is mainly doing at the same time as the white frozen Scope window ? In the task manager --> ressource monitor. It could be accupated to some other heavy task...
I don't believe it's a memory issue if you had it with different pc configs. Except if you always kept the same memory in all yours configs ! :roll: