Keep your machine clean!

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

tlaskows

Keep your machine clean!

Post by tlaskows »

I'm on Win 7 x64 and had a lot of junk installed. You name it, I probably had it. Just from the top of my head, things like: WebSphere Server, iis, MySQL Server, 3 different Visual Studio versions, bunch of versions of .NET frameworks. I got rid of everything and now I can run PCI ULLI at the lowest setting without a glitch. I even played an H.265 video at the same time and browsed the Internet and no dropouts!

The best would be to disconnect completely (like Gary always says), but I need a connection on that computer. Oh, I also shut off updates and disabled automatic reboot.

This may seem pretty obvious to most, but I just thought I would share my experience :o

-Tom
wouterz

Re: Keep your machine clean!

Post by wouterz »

I use two dual boot systems, one is running without problems for 10 years now. On both systems I have a Windows install for music production (no Internet connection, firewalls, virusscanners or updates) and one for everything else (with all the security stuff). I use Macrium Reflect to make disk images for backup purposes (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx). This setup works very well for me.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

wouterz, I wondering which method are you using for the dual boot procedure?
Any hints about?

I just planned to reinstall everything on my travel Laptop and this dual OS solution sounds good to me...

Thanks in advance :)
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

you need the .net framework for a lot of devices if you dont have them then certain things wont work

also the visual c++ stuff you also need as if you dont have them then certain bcmodular modules wont work and if you have them installed they will give an error at start up

some of roy thines modules use the latest visual c++ stuff for the .dll files
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

erminardi wrote:wouterz, I wondering which method are you using for the dual boot procedure?
Any hints about?

I just planned to reinstall everything on my travel Laptop and this dual OS solution sounds good to me...

Thanks in advance :)
If I'm not mistaken you can use the original bootable Windows (non OEM) install CD. Start your PC from the CD and in the installer select another empty partition to install the second Windows on. Then after the installation a bootmenu is automatically created.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Correct. I've done this on most machines since Windows XP. I just did it on my current machine, to have x64 and an x86 variants. (I'm only using the x86 for modular and sample compatibility for now).
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Cool, thanks :)
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Having had dual boot for years now, I must stress that two different OS works best. Whether it's W7 and W10, or W7 x64 and W7 x86. This way the OSs stay independent and don't file share when updating, scanning, backing up etc.
R