Random Clicks Pops or Crackles While Idle

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ronnie

Random Clicks Pops or Crackles While Idle

Post by ronnie »

Just a quick tip from experience. If you ever notice a random click, pop or crackle from your speakers even though you are not running your DAW or playing audio it could be static electricity. You might notice it more when you move around, especially your feet. Of course your studio sound system has to be on! I have found that sometimes this can be caused by loose screws holding equipment in the rack. Since I discovered this by accident when jiggling a unit to add one of those screw in rack hook things to hold headphones, I make it a point to tighten the screws on everything every month or two and make sure there's a nylon or teflon washer between the screw and the unit. It works. I don't know why. While the noises don't print, they are a real pain in the arse. I heard that hearing this is a good thing because it shows a good ground on the offending equipment's circuitry so I guess it makes sense that the chassis needs to be tight in the rack rails.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
tlaskows

Re: Random Clicks Pops or Crackles While Idle

Post by tlaskows »

I had crackling when recording (on a different sound card a long time ago) when I was running a software RAID array.

I've had crackling noise with Scope when my ADAT cables come loose from the A16 Ultra...

-Tom