Aliasing and testing plugins

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Music Manic

Aliasing and testing plugins

Post by Music Manic »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic4bVbXfdW4&sns=em

This video touches on how plugins perform and how far you can push your system. Aliasing/distortion occurs in scope even when amplitude levels shows they aren't being clipped. Even levels in Daw channels introduce distortion.
Psyq adds harmonics even when nothing is dialled but funnily they disappear when the stereo pot is tuned.

A really good way to see if your signal path is "clean" from distortion.

Please post your tests on scope plugins or your DAW please.

Correct link updated.
Bud Weiser

Re: Aliasing and testing plugins

Post by Bud Weiser »

Music Manic wrote: Please post your tests on scope plugins or your DAW please.
Thx for pointing me on a Melda Productions advertisement video.

Well, that´s why most buyed this digital gear,- to perform tests.

I´m doing the opposite,- when it sounds right to my ears I take it as it is and go over to the next creative task.

Digital technology isn´t perfect and HAS disadvantages.
Analog technology has disadvantages too, but different ones.
Best is a combination of analog and digital and using both for what it does best, then be prepared the result will also not be perfect.

When digital technologie´s disadvantages and artefacts become unacceptable (for you), grab the money and build yourself a hi-end analog studio, then deal w/ the disadvantages left over there too.

It´ so easy and just only a matter of budget !

In the end, today you´ll come up w/ the perfect mp3 and millons of people will buy, re-financiating your investment.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Haha.

Sometimes my ear tells me something's wrong, but now I know how to check
exactly.

Do you think I will win a Grammy for making the first non distorted track?
garyb

Post by garyb »

no.

actually distortion is part of what makes music nice to listen to. it depends on what form the distortion takes. aliasing is generally bad, but not always.

it's funny, but i know a guy here who has worked on some of the biggest productions ever, guys like Michael Jackson. he has his own studio locally and works independently on his own projects these days. just using the crappy stock plugins in Cubase SX2, he does mixes that sound better than some done with millions of dollars of the best gear. it helps that he knows what he is doing and why. naturally, he could get much better results with better gear, but it's not the gear alone that makes his mixes sound good.

there's an old saying that says something like "a bad workman blames his tools". i think it's important to use the best possible stuff one can afford, because the gear can make it harder or easier to do something that sounds good. still, the skill of the engineer is very important, as the hard and software itself doesn't do the recording or the mixing, and even more important, the music must already be special for the finished product to be special.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Yes Gary!
It's nice to know what you're doing and things have come a long way in the digital world. I remember the days
when it first started and it sounded like crap. These DAWs are great now
hubird

Post by hubird »

Music Manic wrote:Do you think I will win a Grammy for making the first non distorted track?
like without a guitar with distortion fx? :wink:
garyb wrote:no.

actually distortion is part of what makes music nice to listen to.
Love Vinco as end station in the mastering chain, but subtle. :)