Workflow Tips

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

Workflow Tips

Post by yayajohn »

Thought maybe we could share some tips to improve the workflow in Scope.

Here's mine.

Mouse Tips: I have been using a trackball for many years and really love them.

This is the one I use: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/w ... kball-m570

Program the back/fwd buttons on the trackball and set them to the left and right arrow keys on the keyboard. This is useful for advancing/decreasing switches on devices. I have found the mouse pointer to be cumbersome for this and am very pleased how this works.
(these buttons also work on advancing thru waveforms, program banks and other pull down lists.)
Note: you must click on each control to make it active first then use the buttons as described.....yeah no duh

Program the wheel button to the "delete" key on the keyboard. This is useful for deleting routing cables and saves you from having to reach down to the keyboard.
ShogunSpy

Re: Workflow Tips

Post by ShogunSpy »

thanks great tips. Will buy one
Marco

Post by Marco »

I also have this trackball, same model, it has most advantage if you need more space on your table, you dont need to shift, move a mouse around the table. Thats the biggest advantage. Its same comfort like working with a mouse. When I play lifemusic, I have the trackball with, because on my Keyboard is no big surface to move a mouse
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Marco

Post by Marco »

Workflow tip #2

Buy and use a 4k TV 50" or bigger, super comfortable working with highes Resolution 3849x2160 pix on a big scope scrren. Hisense 880 is very cheap TV. I will buy very soon.... :D
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
SilverScoper

Post by SilverScoper »

Sounds cool. Can you post a pic of your workstation would like to see that in action !
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

You would need a video card to support that kind of resolution on a single display.

3849*2160=8313840 pixels
Whereas 1080*1920 = 2073600 pixels
I.e. four-times more pixels in the larger screen.
But me, I would rather have multiple monitors that I can hit the Maximise button on each window/screen.

Me, I run two monitors, and I would need to find space to put a third. Since Ableton 9.1 now supports dual monitors, I would like to have two with Ableton / Ableton + plugins, and one with Scope.
Turns out my current video card (Nvidia Quadro FX 580) has three outs, but only supports two simultaneous outs... There are a few video cards however now that do support three simultaneous outs, and they don't cost the earth...
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

anabella wrote:Workflow tip #2

Buy and use a 4k TV 50" or bigger, super comfortable working with highes Resolution 3849x2160 pix on a big scope scrren. Hisense 880 is very cheap TV. I will buy very soon.... :D

Great topic Anabella. I have been thinking of upgrading to a 27" screen. Then I would have a 27" for the Xite and a 24" for the PCI side.
A 50" would be awesome indeed and I've often wondered if that would work well.
Eanna, good point about the video card resolution. Hadn't thought about having 3 monitors either. I'm going to have to research that a little more before I buy.

Thanks for the input.

Dan
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

JoPo

Post by JoPo »

One of my workflow tip (on Cubase 5.2) :

I use Cubase midi device manager to solo or mute STM channels when I edit some midi track. You can build you own little midi device (inside Cubase) to control what ever you want in Scope via midi. Like this, I don't have to go back in Scope for listening only the midi track I'm working on (if this midi track audio is automated by another Cubase midi track like for instance its STM level fader, if you solo the midi piano roll editor, Cubase sends a 0 value midi controler on the muted Scope midi automation track, thus you don't hear it anymore !) , I can also, thanks to STM mute group, listen to only some channels, solo several channels etc...
Sometimes, I like to listen only to the drums, the bass and the midi track I'm editing.

It seems to be nothing like this but it allows a good workflow and being concentrated on a particular midi track and remove or put back other channels to check quickly the result. Try Cubase midi devices ! It's worth it !

Ecco.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

yayajohn wrote:Anyone try anything like this?

http://www.keyboard-and-mouse-sharing.com/demo.htm
Well i just tried this and liked it so much I ended up buying it. 49.95USD If you've only got one monitor on each computer it's free. For me, I've got 2 monitors on my Xite/DAW computer and 1 monitor for my Scope PCI computer so unfortunately you will need to buy the Pro version if you have more than 2 monitors. Hopefully this is going to work out as a great workflow tool for me with two systems running together but separate. You can even keep a separate mouse on each computer and whichever one you are using is the active. Pretty neat stuff if you ask me.
Hmm a thought just occurred to me that i didn't even bother to search for a similar product, oh well too late now :)

Cheers
Dan
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Been using this for awhile without issues:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=35460
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Wow, what a clever idea!
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

doh!
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

I thought about a 4k monitor, but I think everything would be just way too small to see well. I have 2 1080p monitors and I only seem to ever need 1. I have a GTX 770 and I don't even play games anymore. Scope is a lot more fun :D

-Tom