Scope Newcomers

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Eanna

Scope Newcomers

Post by Eanna »

Some important links for any other newcomers:

Scope Forums (you're here!):
http://forums.planetz.com/

Xite user forms:
http://www.xited.org/

ScopeRise, the Scope Magazine site, a superb resource of distilled planetz posts and interviews, managed by Planetz member Dante:
http://www.hitfoundry.com/
Don't miss the "ScopeRise Archives" link at the bottom of the front page! It's not a very obvious link...

Free Scope Devices (we could do with more device ratings):
http://www.psy-works.net/

Thread started by Planetz member ehasting that led to his creation of the psy-works site, with comprehensive posts from Planetz member Mr. Arkadin listing the known free devices and effects available at that time:
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30623

Again, Mr. Arkadin's dilligence collected together some Patch Collections for Scope Devices, here:
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28825

There are other commercial Scope Device sites not under the sonic-core.net umbrella, including wolf-audio.com, celmo.com, spacef-devices.com, deviceplug-ins.com, track0.com. Probably missing a few others, apologies...

And for Modular......
Great site from Planetz member Roy Thinnes, covering Modular modules in detail, offering lots of useful Modules and many hundreds of Modular patches, describing the many free modules contributed by the community, and including a few quality Devices:
http://www.cwmodular.org/

The extensive pack of Modular devices BC Modular from Planetz member Sharc (v0.97b at the time of writing):
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31927
http://www.bcmodular.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63

Long-running Scope Modular site, covering diverse topics on Modular and hosting many Modular Patches:
http://www.modularsynth.co.uk/index.shtml

If you are a fan of all things Modular, you really ought to find the cash to pick up Modular IV from sonic-core.net, and Flexor 3 from adern.com.

And to top off the experience, the wonderful and inexpensive Expert Sleepers Silent Way VST Plugin suite can be used to send sample-accurate CV as Audio Signals to Scope Modular over ASIO.
This removes the requirement to control Modular with 7-bit Midi CC, altho Sharc's BCModular offers 14-bit CC Control.

To whet your appetite:
http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/silentway.html
And it's use with Scope:
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29863
http://www.terrabola.org/AudioTest/EGte ... tHome.html

Enjoy!
Last edited by Eanna on Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
netguyjoel

Re: Scope Newcomers

Post by netguyjoel »

If anyone has trouble logging in or registering for XITEd.org, feel free to PM me & let me know...
Thanx guys!
Joel
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

netguyjoel wrote:If anyone has trouble logging in or registering for XITEd.org, feel free to PM me & let me know...
Thanx guys!
Hi Joel !

I was unable to log in yesterday, but now it worked and there´s now my 1st post at XITED.
Yesterday, the site didn´t launch at all and it ended w/ timeout error for several times.

All good now

:)

Bud
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Re-up...

I notice some sites are offline at the mo. Spacef's, De-vice Plugins, maybe others?
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Eanna wrote:Re-up...

I notice some sites are offline at the mo. Spacef's, De-vice Plugins, maybe others?

Device plug-ins website has been down a couple days now and it looks like they may be gone forever. I hope that's not true. Sur Audio Labs is no longer listed on Sonic Core's website either thus it looks like their gone. I have'nt checked on Space-f but would be more surprised if he left since he has a XITE-1 and is more envolved in the SCOPE community than most other developers. It's sad to see developers leave and i wish they would at least wait till after SCOPE 6 release to see if they will have better success. It is what it is tho, and i'm sure new developers will come, especially since we got a few new ones over relatively recent years i.e. G.O.S.T, DNA, and Sur Audio Labs.

Of course it will take more time to fully confirm some developers have left but ATM it does'nt look good.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

COS and VOID makers Sur Audio Lab indeed appear to be absent from the S|C site...
v2 of those synths only came out last year...
I understand that the manufacturers may decide not to support the products on the Scope platform any more, but I don't understand why they wouldn't give the devices over for sale and support to S|C, even let them take some smaller percentage...?
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Eanna wrote: but I don't understand why they wouldn't give the devices over for sale and support to S|C, even let them take some smaller percentage...?
I prefer it was done like you described and i suspect that has been the case with several devices (like transient-designer before Brainworx took over SPL). However some developers may wanna take their algorithms to another platform's company or just start working for another company who has a contract not allowing them to sell elswhere, thus your desire may not work in some cases. I felt it was more than a coincidence that Brainworx discontinued their SCOPE plugins around the same time they released UAD versions. I don't have proof it was more than coincidental but 'mama did'nt raise no fool' either. With Brainworx i feel it was either contract or big-headedness/feeling like they're bigtime on Major Platforms now and not needing and not caring for SCOPE anymore, either way stinks.

EDITED
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Good points Sounddesigner.
I think you may be right about Brainworx. They got the experience and developed the algorithms on Scope, and brought the know-how with them to make the big cash on UAD...

Apparently, FXpansion (of BFD/Guru/Geist/SynthSquad fame) cut their teeth on Scope atoms too, way back when...

What puzzles me tho is that there are instances of Brainworx devices, and COS and VOID, and others, out there in the wild in Scope installations... So it must be that official support and maintenance releases for these devices from the developers dries up with they leave the platform? There doesn't appear to be a well-defined 'end of life' process?

Oftentimes, you'll see some VST developers release their plugins for free after they cease support too. E.g. Tone2 released Firebird for free last month. Other VST dev's have donated their VSTs to the community when they leave the platform / cease programming audio software outright.

Lets hope we get some of these devs back with Scope6. COS and VOID always tempted me, I was sorry I missed their initial release when they were at a good price. Did they work well (optimised) on Xite I wonder? I'm a PCI-card kinda-guy...
dante

Post by dante »

Eanna wrote:I think you may be right about Brainworx. They got the experience and developed the algorithms on Scope...
Not entirely. DAS ported BXDigital and were smart enough to implement using only Scope atoms & not give away DAS proprietary algorithms so the only IP that BX took with them was their own high level design (like a hardware manufacturer knows the electronics of thier gear) and would have relied on UAD2 DSP coders to implement their 21369 version.

End result of that departure ... Scope remained the only platform that has the sound of those DAS filters :)
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Eanna wrote: COS and VOID always tempted me, I was sorry I missed their initial release when they were at a good price. Did they work well (optimised) on Xite I wonder? I'm a PCI-card kinda-guy...

Void tempted me as well but not enough to grab my wallet unfortunately. I think when it comes to synthesizers there is a high-standard on SCOPE and you have to be a extraordinary developer releasing spectacular instruments that really stand-out in order to survive on SCOPE. Think about it, the included stock plugins are filled with lots of lovely synths (minimax, profit 5, vectron, b2003 organ, Poison, Modular 3 and whatever else some may love) and as for add-ons SonicCore the parent company has several lovely gems i.e. Proddesee, Protone, Modular 4 and Six-String. Then there's the top 3rd party companies offering spectacular instruments like Adern with Flexor and Xor, and John Bowen with his huge arsenal. I like Celmo's Blu-wave also. On such a small platform how does anyone else fit in when you look at the huge number of spectacular synths i mentioned already? It's hard for me to pull out my wallet to buy another SCOPE synth cause i have so many already. Unless some new and improved/next-generation synth algorithms come to SCOPE it'll be hard to get people to spend since we have a 'embarassment of riches' already.

Maybe i should've requested the demo for Void and gave it a more fair chance and maybe supported, but it's hard to do when one has so much already. This platform has a high-standard that new commers have to meet. The high standard has its good and bad side, but i'm glad it's there and hope it gets higher and extend to all plugin categories. I have a feeling that even if the customer base grows larger it will still be tuff for a company to compete with those extraordinary developers i mentioned, one has to have a synth that REALLY stands out to do so. I'm mainly waiting for next-generation algorithms wich i believe Sonic Core will need ultimately to survive, the gap has to be further widened between SCOPE and Native or many won't see the point of buying expensive dsp's even tho it's worth it imo. Plus Native is slowly improving so SCOPE has to. DNA has begun the next-generation of effects but we still need more. Mod 4 sounds like a improvement in some ways over previouse versions but bigger and clearer is needed.

EDITED
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

dante wrote:
Eanna wrote:I think you may be right about Brainworx. They got the experience and developed the algorithms on Scope...
Not entirely. DAS ported BXDigital and were smart enough to implement using only Scope atoms & not give away DAS proprietary algorithms so the only IP that BX took with them was their own high level design (like a hardware manufacturer knows the electronics of thier gear) and would have relied on UAD2 DSP coders to implement their 21369 version.

End result of that departure ... Scope remained the only platform that has the sound of those DAS filters :)

But i think that was version 2 of bx_digital that DAS ported. There was a Version 1 that Brainworx did of bx_digital and bx_control long before they went Native. These were their first creations and releases ever. I don't know if they were made from stock or custom Atoms tho.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

FYI, spacef-devices.com will be back online before long...
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Eanna wrote:FYI, spacef-devices.com will be back online before long...
I am glad to hear that!
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
spacef

Post by spacef »

Hi all,
The spacef-devices website is down, and I've noticed that a few days ago only. The hoster did not warn me.
I have to reupload everything, and it can take a bit of time, and I am fed up of that (hackers, what a loss of time) but I will do it because it is important for all.
Thanks for your patience and sorry for the possible "emotional shock".
Mehdi

ps thanks Eanna for posting here and for the heads-up...
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

Hang in there Mehdi,
We value and appreciate your work :wink:
regards
maus
dawman

Post by dawman »

Mehdi 2Zani............Man Or Myth.
Mehdi also is a smokin' ball handler FYI.
The around the world videos are my sons favs.
I like his Scope videos better as I lost my ball
control a while back....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... SpFhU#t=19
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Mehdi you dark horse! ;-)