Multi Synth Side Chain

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Multi Synth Side Chain

Post by dawman »

I have been trying several different devices, but so far this works best for me.

It requires Solaris ( 1 ) being inserted to the PEQ4 ( 2 ) SideChain Inputs ( after frequency adjustments ). Solaris must also be branched into it's own Mixer ins Post Solaris module.

Then the 2nd synth, in my case an SE-1X. inserted into the Vinco Compressor.

I have Solaris set up so that I can have Filter/Volume and seperate sounds from 2 other Oscillators attached to the Modulation Wheel of Solaris. But some sounds are delicate and need to stand out, w/o fear of the FAT BASTARD SE-1X burying everything.

By using the Freq's on the PEQ4 I can maintain the Solaris sound, and all of it's delicate details, and when I release the pressed keys and the sound dies off and the ultra sweet thick low end of the SE-1X creeps in from the release on the Vinco.

I can only say that this is a serious benefit for live work. Can't believe I have had this stuff for so long and keep finding newer, better methods of performing.
the19thbear

Re: Multi Synth Side Chain

Post by the19thbear »

Great idea! Not only for scope, but in a general mix situation! :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Oddly enough though I have tried MCCY, DAS AI and a few other Comps with SCh capabilities and none compare to the precision of the Vinco SX.

I mean I can hold a chord on Solaris, Mod Wheel on full is a 4 Oscillator mix of SawString sounds where 2 Oscillators are an Octave higher. Then when I bring back the Mod Wheel to Zero position it only plays the 2 lower octaves.
But while I decrease the Mod Wheel slowly and have Attack on the Vinco SX at Zero, I can hear the SE-1Xs volume and presence increase as the higher octave strings decrease.

That is incredibly precise and is so close to what I'd expect in hardware, I must say I am impressed.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I've fed an arpeggiated synth into the side chain of a compressor in order to gate another track (into a percussive/rhythmic one).

But this is a creamy smooth technique which allows fades between my dry bass and a really distorted sound, all lush with reverb. Assigning an expression pedal to the threshold does fabulous things. Thanks Jimmy, awesome trick!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Found an even better EQ for the Multi Synth SideChain thing-a-ma-jig. I can use an expression pedal on the Output that uses the dual curves, but can decrease/increase gain into the SideChain of the Vinco SX. It works wonderfully, and in realtime.
I mean I can move my ModWheel from max 4 x Osc, 2 Ocatve String, down to Zero which is then 2 x Osc, 1 Octave String and the slightest movement has immediate results.
It's fascinating when you have something that hardware cannot do, which then means we have negated the need for the hardware Compressor I have from Studio Electronics.
The hardware when driven has a better quality sound, and does respond like Vinco SX, but I can definately live w/o it, as the difference is only noticable by me. Not the drunken tourists I am forced to entertain....
dawman

Post by dawman »

It seems as though the smoothest results are using original stock devices made by Klaus.
He should get credit for these excellent devices that seem to be taken for granted.

Try the SBX and watch/listen to the beautiful results.
I never thought a device that couldn't tweak in exact notches/shelving would do a good job, but the SBX is the final choice.
I spent the last 2 days tweaking around and couldn;t be happier.
SBX SideChaining.JPG
dawman

Post by dawman »

And yet another excellent trick I use for unfiltered sounds on the 48k AES/EBU signals of Solaris.
I Set the frequencies of Shilo to where the top slider is 20k, then the lower fader is dead center, after it's adjusted by SpaceF's CC2x2.
In this way I can stomp it down and the freq's are almost in audible, then pull the expression pedal back with full lag amounts on the slider ( like a drawbar on a B3 ) and the crystaline filtered descent is georgeous.

If anyone remembers the song that Demi Moore stripped to in the movie Stripper, there was a Sherman Filter Bank or something similar in freq range used on a synth that descended exactly the same way. Always thought it was a really cool preset on a synth, but this is what was used in the studio, and now this is what I can use live, along with the SBX-Vinco SX set up so the SE-1X is semi quiet, then the Shilo hits is regular unfiltered sound, and the SE-1X becomes more dominant as the Solaris sound fades away.

Way Cool, and all in realtime......... :D
Solaris Shilo SBX Vinco SX.PNG
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Jimmy, do you mind posting a small wav? I'm curious what you are hearing ;)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Sure tomorrow after work.
As you are aware that dynamics and motion and great tools live, and when I see a Keyboardist w/o an expression pedal, I realize they are green, and even use devices that don't even respond as well as Scope DSP devices made by SpaceF for ganging drawbars on a B2003 or even a great morph on a mixer of different groups. The pedals are pretty useless stock IMHO. But I have used them live for decades, even back when dual double A's were needed on CV synths.
But this is something I stumbled on where the frequencies can go so high they become barely audible, and then thanks to SpaceF's 3000ms bi directional lag time for faders, I simply stomp full down on a pedal, and the faders move to their target destinations at the selected speed ( time/lag ). This is great when the volume comes back down for the A section or verse, and then I stomp the pedal full back and listen to the beautiful overtones like a crystaline descending waterfall of waveforms, it's my new method of dynamics.

You still need a sidechain if a powerful Analog synthesizer is being used as they overpower the fake synths and DSP based synths as well. So this is why I chose to use 2 x CC2x2s and a seperate Shilo for the SE-1X and the triple SHilo for Solaris. The SBX SideChaining the Vinco SX where the SE-1X is inserted can be adjusted seperately so there is still plenty of Lows to have some sound.
Ultimate dynamics using Filters, not volume..JPG
dawman

Post by dawman »

Hey I tried but I am having trouble recording this. The high frequency content through my powered Cabinets sounds awesome, but through headphones and VDAT, or Reaper I gewt squashy, distorted high frequency content that is killing me.
I will sort it out and post a wav. when I get more time.....

Ankyu....
dante

Post by dante »

mebee u need a second bus sending to a cab sim b4 it hits VDAT :o
... or easier - just mic the real cab

Must go get me some Shilos now :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Ultimate%20dynamics%20using%20Filters,%20not%20volume_.JPG