MANLEY SLAM........sort of.

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

MANLEY SLAM........sort of.

Post by dawman »

I have had the priveledge to hear what a Manley SLAM can do to a thumpin' mix, especially crunchy Rock stuff.
After reading it's Manley manual, and getting to play with it, I have a Scope way to achieve this.
It requires 2 x Limiters, one Brickwalled, the other with a 50% reduction in Slope attack and release.

I used SpaceF's Limiter since it has so much flexibility and even basic EQ.
This handles the slower Electro Optical slope the Manley has.
Then the DAS Brickwall Limter does just that, it flat out stops the signal just like the FET Slope on the Manley does.
Buss 1 is then mixed with Buss 2 into the Micro Mixer and it's Stereo Out into a Destination Module.

THis works really well and is kind of exciting as I haven't really mastered before using a Limiter.
But this seems to be their choice over @ the Big Studio, and they have several multi thousand dollar Limiters and Vintage/new Comps.
I could live there forever. Great giant mansion packed with gear, drum booths, swimming pool and jacuzzi.
It's music heaven and Solaris on the SSL4000G+ using Neve mic pres ( elitist thing I guess ), then hearing it go to the SLAM via AES/EBU is just so big....
siriusbliss

Re: MANLEY SLAM........sort of.

Post by siriusbliss »

Can't wait to hear it!

(High-res version)

Greg
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

i was realy disapointed by manley passive we got hold of one of there

mastering eqs £4000+ in cost when we opened it they used cheap opamps and cheap caps but in there manual all there spill on using descrete parts

for better sound was total rubbish

i make diy audio circuits of old gear and we put the best caps the best descrete opamps and designs with the original iron from carnhill or lunda and sowter lwith no corners cut to produce great sounding gear at a 5th of the cost of what manufacturers are selling at

and they sound great and you get the satisfaction of making them

i have a point to point wiring pultec meq5 and eqpa1 diy modules actually built the way they were built in the 50-60,s that sound great and the scope version does not come close

just something about the saturation of the tubes and the sowter iron for the eq circuits and the input and output trannies just cant get that sound in software

but the scope synths rock when i send them to the o2r and have the pultecs on the inserts pure analog warmth
dawman

Post by dawman »

Maybe that's why these guys have no Manley EQ's.??
They have this great SSL board too but still prefer going through the Neve Preamps and having the SSL EQ.

I would love to have a great Limiter like the SLAM for 1200 USD, let me know if you ever build it's dual slope design.
I still use the ancient poor mans 1176 made by Studio Electronics named the SE-C2S and I do love how it makes the sound bigger. They too saw a name taking advantage of a mark up price, and basically did their version of a DIY.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

im building a pair of diy neve 1084 pre eqs they sound nice to

the best sounding mastering eq pre with m/s is the neve pultec it has the neve 1290 pre from the 1073 and the 1084 with the input trannies then it has a midside procesor which then goes into a eqpa1 eq which is passive then it has a make up tube gain with balance out put tranies the pots are all switches so you can dial in perfectly the same setting for each channel

the new la2a version 5 by drip electronics is very good as there is a fast medium and slow settings

1176 mnats has created the first version with the 1088 pre section which is unique and is the most sort after of the 1176

im building a mixer with neve pre,s and api summing circuits with calrec eq

with the ssl4000 mix buss compressor thats makes everything sound sweet but the one i have has all the mods from the ssl9000 version

it just makes everything sound so nice and then the nevepultec mastering unit they just so cream

yeah anything you want made let me know i can make and come over and deliver it my wife itching to go to vagas and make me broke she loves gambling and playing poker