New Scope Controller Rig

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

New Scope Controller Rig

Post by dawman »

In case someone needs a great 88 note action, lightweight controller w/ 4 x zones, and a great Piano and EPiano sound, the Casio Privia PX3 is a smoking deal.
I have a Korg NanoPad 2 that sits perfectly on top too, so with these internal sounds, and 4 zones total, this is a grea controller rig for Scope.
siriusbliss

Re: New Scope Controller Rig

Post by siriusbliss »

I have two Nano1's controlling mixers in Scope.
Inexepensive, portable, and works like a charm.

Greg
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

i had a nano but it made a very high pitched whistle from the power supply.
im still just using ye olde BCR2000, and track controls on the cirklon.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

i use a quasimidi cyber6

with 2 nano pad controls for vector mixing

the cyber 6 has an 8 track sequencer with mpc type swing and a very analog type sequencer

ans 2 motivs that are 2 special arpegs that can do wavesequencing as you can set the arps to 32 midi channels

or i gator and 1 arp or chorders

8 x zones

and i use my ensoniq asr10 for the poly at to the input of the cycber6

great combination

and its great for ideas as i can just use the cyber 6 with out a comp sequencer and just trigger instrument in scope

its like having hardware synth modules but all in scope
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I'm down to an Axis49, a Novation Launchpad, and an iPad running Lemur, all fitting in a backpack :) I'll probably add a USB joystick now that we're messing with Vectron! Also my Bass becomes my Midi controller via an Axis50. I haven't used my BCR2000 and BCF2000 in some time, but that may change.

dawman

Post by dawman »

What I really need is an easier way to send program change messages.
Maybe you guys know of something.

I need to be able to press a button that has alreay stored the MIDI Channel I want to use.
Let's say 8 as that leaves me room for 2 x extra channels.
Then I rarely need more than 16 presets from a certain instrument as I can always use realtime modulations.
The presets are actually sounds form Kontakt, and with synths there are various Osc/Filter Combinations hence an 8 x 16 matrix of buttons, I need it to be Nano sized though to sit on the Privia 3X....

Any Ideas welcome...
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

you could use touchosc or lemur on an ipod touch, maybe find an old one with a dead battery you can usb power.

then "the missing link" http://wifimidi.com/ so you dont need to mess around with wifi and osc in your laptop,
dawman

Post by dawman »

Great idea especially since Reaper is all OSC/MIDI'd up now.
But that is way to small as I am not standing still when I play, unless I am playing with someone deaf causing me to follow them....
Livid Code looks to be like something but it's a little too pricey still.
The other controllers and just too many key presses.
M Audio allowed you to push a button for the MIDI CHannel of your choosing then 17 buttons all 1-16.
Rarely need more than that live....
Maybe a little bitty M Audio with the same buttons...... :lol:

Thanks
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

cant you just get a korg nanokey or something, and set up your midi so the keys on it do those things.
dawman

Post by dawman »

They don't work that way, they require MIDI Channel change then send the prgm change, etc.
I found what I wanted.
The Privia PX3 is a decent MIDI COntroller but little crappy buttons and in the dark it would be a PITA.
So I can use this battery operated KeyPad that only sends one channel one, so it can call up the Privias presets and since there's 128 of them I can have 4 x zones, with presets and MIDI CC mappings all with a number press from this little 65 dollar beauty from MIDI Hardware.......

SWeetness....
pckpad.jpg
dawman

Post by dawman »

This really looks nice and has PAT for some Solaris tricks too.
I really like his Softstep 12. A friend of mine uses one and never can be seen like most GUitarists fiddling around tuning & tweaking.
QuNeo_3D.jpg
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:This really looks nice and has PAT for some Solaris tricks too.
I really like his Softstep 12. A friend of mine uses one and never can be seen like most GUitarists fiddling around tuning & tweaking.
QuNeo_3D.jpg
I checked it out at NAMM, and found it to be a little clunky, and had a slight delay in response (at least noticeable).
Obviously a faster interface via simple MIDI by be responsive enough with Scope.

Their demo had it rigged into Ableton Live driving some lame bleep-blurp music with some filters on plugins.

Greg
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I notice if I pass my MIDI *through* a daw, I get shitty response on MIDI, too. **sighhhhh*

I could use a 1 or 2 more MIDI I/O on the XITE.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Perhaps the MIDI Expander option might help on the QBox.
USB MIDI just plain sucks, regardless of what spec. sheets M$ claims and bandwidth used.
Even developers are advising users to have a powered USB Hub. Which makes me wonder of it's usability.
Was the Q you saw at NAMM using just USB or did it have the MIDI hardware XPander....?
I find it amazing in this day and age the a 1984 Protocol still is faster and more stable than the cute multi touch gadgets that keep getting churned out.
I even tried the FCB1010 from Behringer and it reminded me of the speed that the PCM70 changes presets....
I already ordered the MIDI Hardware as they are built upon purchase, and just seems so appropriate.
The Music I play demands fast interaction amongst players and it seems the more software you rely on the more problems one encounters live.
I would love to see more MIDI expansion on the XITE-1 but I won't hold my breath.
I have the antique MX8 still kicking but and making MIDI via PCI-e through the XITE-1 very reliable and very fast.
I even have merged software devices responding as expected, and the MIDI Out from Scope into hardware or even in a feedback loop to Reaper works fine.
USB MIDI is just weak everytime I see it in use. But thankfully it powers up our cheap piece of shit controllers.
I am waiting for manual to see if I might need something like this as I would love to get some of the controllers I am now missing form the KS88's.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well the new controller works great with BC Modular so I will be expanding the BCF 2000 w/ a BCR 2000, I know it's old but so am I.
THey allow 4 x pedals and no presets are even really needed as I can assign and navigate well from the BCF 2000 on a Music Stand which actually can accpet the BCR 200 too.
The Privia is just a great conteoller since you can no longer find new KS88's which is sad, but they get muschy and lost velocity control after 1 1/2 years at 6 nights a week. Weekend warrioirs would be able to get longer life cycles, but the Privia PX3S is a PITA at first, but very easy and very effective as a spliiter for 4 zones, layers and double split layers as well.
For 750 USD I will have a BCR and BDF 2000 with the pedlas and the Privia, its a sore dick deal you cant beat it.
dante

Post by dante »

For the short time I used the Privia it was excellant, but mine had no wheels so it was back to the cupboard. But the keys action was great and solid, bouncy as.

Maybe if the MIDI Hardware company can come out w/ a small detachable pitch/mod wheel on a small midi box w/ suction pads on bottom I'll bring out the Privia again.

Something like http://www.doepfer.de/we.htm but more complete.