STM2448 Aux Return

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

STM2448 Aux Return

Post by yayajohn »

Anyone know how to record a wet signal using the Aux returns on the STM2448? (other than just routing it to track 1-24)

Thanks

Dan
dante

Re: STM2448 Aux Return

Post by dante »

Send it to a bus other than the main mix out, or just take a feed from the Aux returns to seperate ASIO outs back to DAW ?

Depends on whether you mean wet + dry or just wet. Recording wet and dry on seperate tracks gives you the advantage or re-mixing them later on with different ratio - without the effect unit being present.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

I guess that's what I'm asking. How do you assign it to the bus instead of the main mix using the Aux returns?
Don't see anyway to assign R1-R6 to a bus on the BUS page of the STM2448 mixer. Routing the Aux sends back to a track works but then what are the Aux return lines for on the mixer?

Thanks

Dan
dante

Post by dante »

Neither can I ( see a way to send AUX to BUS other than MAIN ). But you can still route AUX to its own ASIO Dest for recording seperately cant you ?
garyb

Post by garyb »

route it to a channel externally and then send it where you want.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

ok not a biggie, that's what I've been doing I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. Trying to organize and clean up my startup project and it seemed logical to send the Aux sends back to their respective return ports.

Thanks

Dan
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

i will capture this thread.. since its in the same street.

i am going to start mix with the STM 2448.. and i am not very used to large mixers in general.. how does people do it with .. i.e delay on stereo channels?
if i want to feed stereo signal to a stereo effect.. or how does people patch their environment.

Do you use 2 aux channels where each of them goes out to a stereo effect?! It looks like i can add internally on the Rtn-Page stereo effects pr. bus.. How does this affect mono channels? And then back to the initial question on this thread, how do i record them? Only through mix? or can they be routed to bus 1-8?

Just need some tips and tricks on how i can work with effects most efficient with the STM mixer.

THANKS!
Higen
http://www.scopeportal.com - Community Sonic Core SCOPE Plugins and Devices
http://www.higen.org
dante

Post by dante »

I use stereo pairs of AUX to send to FX (Aux 1 = Left, Aux2 = Right) etc. As for the AUX sends, or any audio output in Scope, you can route them to multiple destinations. So routing them to the returns and also another destination simultaneously (Scope output, ASIO to DAW tracks etc) is easy.

In other packages (such as Reason) you would have to use a special 'splitter' to do this.
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

Cool thanks, I will test that out! But how does the Aux send behave on a stereo Channel? Does it send both Channel converted to mono?
.. Or maybe this is in the manual :p

I am just curious how people works with effects on the mixer. And how to maintain the stereo signal in the effect.
Higen
dante

Post by dante »

The way I have my STM rigged is that I have seperate control over left send volume and right send volume.

So I would expect, for example, a brass section routed to a reverb, that as the left and right channels contain slightly different material (eg more sax left and more trumpet on the right) then the reverb out signal would have more of the sax left than right and more of the trumpet right than left.
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

Are you using stereo channel or two mono?
Higen
dante

Post by dante »

In the STM if I'm using say a stereo channel, I then use 2 mono AUX sends one panned to pick up the left side and the other panned to pick up the right side. I think. Ill double check next time I am at DAW.

Using the DAS ScopeRise mixer (it only has mono channels), I pan one left and one right and each has its own send.
garyb

Post by garyb »

there is rarely a real advantage to a true stereo aux. really. really.
too many stereo tracks=phase hell. some things should be stereo tracks. most things do not need to be stereo.
dante

Post by dante »

For some things stereo is a natural choice, like a multitimbral MIDI module that only has stereo out, or guitars that have been recorded via a stereo out FX (Digitech ValveFX) where you specifically want that stereo effect ( eg L/R echo - pan, or stereo chorus). Now w/ XITE-1D I can afford to run left and right from stereo guitar preamp into 2 seperate instances of Dynatube :) But they are inline, nothing to do with AUX.

Anything from a mono mic ( eg Lead vocals ) or a single DI (bass guitar) I'd always track mono though.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, stereo is a "natural" choice in those instances, justr not always the best choice....

auxes really don't need to be stereo. do as you see fit, though.
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

i am considering starting to work more with mono tracks.. so the aux "challange" might solve it self..
Today all tracks i have ends up in stereo.. even though most of my synths dosent deliver true stereo (except with build in effects. which can be voided).

That should give me more control over the stereo image.
Higen
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well I have decided to use the STWs and return them through channels and I have a great mono device that converts to stereo, with seperate sample rates for each channel and the verbs sound great, better than the old internal approach.
This is my latest live set up I will try tomorrow. I tried tonight but forget to save many of the STM settings so back to the original unti tomorrow, but today they sounded fabulous using the 4 in 8 out sample delay device.
FWIW the STW Chorus-Delay has a Reverb preset I tweaked a little bit and it sounds like an old Ursa Major Space Station, perfect for the B3 which gets a pair of SAW distortion plugs inside of an insert where the SpaceF Dualizer also does more stereo imaging magic.
Saw is exactly like a tube driven distortion as it sounds semi clean for lead/mono notes, but the more notes you press the more distortion, and the db levels remain the same, just like a real B3. I am stoked again. This platform is endless.
Untitled.png