Optimize Your Mac For Audio

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I don't have a Mac, so I need some geeky Mac users help to make sure all the Mac tweaks are included here. All the information below is taken from AiR_PoLLo's posts here to PlanetZ, I am simply putting them in one place.

AiR_PoLLo has written (more or less):
<i>
<li>use OMS 2.3.7 (not the latest)
<li>use MacOS 9.0.4 (I use 9.1)
<li>To increase speed of a program, simply give it more mem (AiR notes, that Pulsar doesn't [directly] benefit from more memory assignment since it shares the dynamic memory with the OS itself, so assign more to your sequencer...)
<li>Reduce the extensions especially index scheduler... remember not to use indexing on the drive with the pulsar3 install
<li>Update Firmware to the latest version
<li>upload the USB floppy enabler extension

One thing to remeber is that pulsar3 might let macOS use up to 200Mb easily and thinking that logic or VST uses the same amount then it's wise to, once again put more mem!!

</i>

Samplaire adds some other excellent information:

<i>
<li>Multiprocessing extensions (the whole folder, found inside the extensions
folder) - just trash it (manually, because it is invisible by the Extension
Manager) if your mac is single-processor one. In my case it slowed down
Pulsar and Cubase meters movement.
<li> Startup Doubler extension - don't use it because your pulsar drivers will
not initialize properly
<li> Default Folder extension - if you must use it, don't do it in one case -
while installing any program (it avoids successful installation).
<li> Cset.ini file - backup it right after the initial configuring of your
system. It will be very helpful in the future (the file gets corrupted very
often).
<li> keep the oms app open during your whole pulsar session - in my case it
avoids 100% of cubase launching-crashes. If Air will discover his system
crash free (not like mine 2 systems) then I will have to investigate my all
midi connections and this tip will be useless.
<li> And as always: more RAM = more stability and flexibility
</i>

This guide is different than the other guides, and is intended as a place to add Mac Tricks as you learn them (or a place to drop your Tips if you know some not already listed)...

So, now it's in your hands. Help out the Creamware/Mac community. :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-10-01 12:37 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-10-02 09:09 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-10-11 13:44 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-10-11 16:24 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-10-12 13:08 ]</font>
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

In addition to the above....
If you meet problem withs Cubase crashing on launch (or any OMS application) then you have to use the [Midi Filter] module: place it between [Pulsar Midi source] and [Sequencer Midi Dest] and enable 'active sensing' checkbox in the 'system' drawer.

UNFORTUNATELY this tip doesn't work :???:, so try the more above tip (troubleshooter) instead...

28.11.2001:
Perhaps this link will help you to understand the importance of OMS configuratuin:
http://linux1723.dn.net/forum/Forum1/HTML/004682.html

Here you can find almost all info on all extensions and their influence on your DAW (but remember the text was Logic optimized and some extensions they say to disable are important for cubase):
http://www.logicuser.net/extensions/browse.php
After reading all of those, please, consider also these:

*The Monitors CP (useful only if you plan to change your monitor's settings like colour depth and pixel resolution, otherwise disable it and the 2 mentioned below) works only if the following two ext. are enabled: System Monitor plugins + AppleGuide

*They say that FBC indexing scheduler should be enabled but if you read the above AirPollo tips you read something 180 degrees different; the tip: disable it as it is important but not for DAW users.

*Find by content ext. also should be disabled.

*All the vBasic, vBig... etc. extensions (they say they don't know anything about them) refer to VelocityEngine founfd in G4 proc so thez should be enabled /thez are parts of 9.0.4 OS but are absent or in other form in 9.1 and above)

*Colour Picker ext. - I belive I found a use for it somewhere in Cubase, so probably don't disable it as it does no hurt to other exts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2001-11-28 13:13 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2001-11-28 14:21 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2003-01-27 08:15 ]</font>
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

I'll check this thread once in a while.

There are plenty of tips. but that's not for optimising, merely troubleshooting.

To increase speed of a program, simply give it more mem and reduce the extensions. cya.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Thanks Air, I'll add that too..
zgogor

Post by zgogor »

Hi all,
Any probleme with V3 on Mac for you ?
I've got some "adress error" very often ??
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

Never seen such msg.... explain some more, like when it happens...
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Added some excellent info samplaire sent me via email. Check it out.
dodge

Post by dodge »

General advice for Mac freaks.

If possible, format your HD in 2 or more partitions. Install the OS on the first partition and put a copy of that OS on the second partition. Whenever you install software on the first partition, copy the system folder to the second partition as a backup when you're done. If you keep more than one version of your OS on different partitions and one OS crashes and won't boot, the Mac boots from the backup OS.

Better yet, create three partitions. 2 Relatively small ones and 1 large partition. Use for instance a 1:1:4 or 1:1:2 ratio, depending on the size of your HD. Keep a minimum of 1 GB per partition though. On the first one, install the OS and your main software. Keep all your fonts and small files, like those html help sections, readme's etc. on the second. Finally, use the third (and largest) partition for your documents (audio) files. The ultimate would be to install separate internal HD's, but that's a rare and usually costly setup.

Another thing to check is to give your apps the right amount of memory. Sometimes assigning LESS memory avoids crashes, but never go lower than the minimum set by the author of the app. if you think your app needs more, assign more. I found that most Mac users either set the memory way too high or don't change the setting at all!

A third thing to remember is to try to keep your setup as clean as possible. When you install software, keep the install logs, your might need them later for troubleshooting or to check where the files were placed. If you're using the Mac for music only, don't install every bit of free software you can find, it will most likely kill your system at some point. And more important, if the current setup works, and you're happy about the OS you're using (be it 8.x or 9.x), don't update to a higher version unless there's absolutely no other way! It's also best not to install the most recent version of system components like QuickTime on an 'older' OS. Also, try to use the minimum possible system configuration by disabling extensions and control panels you don't need.

I hope this will help somewhat. Should you need more tips, you can always contact me if you like.

<a href=mailto:info@av-id-productions.com>dodge</a>
castol

Post by castol »

apparently not using desktop pictures can speed up video performance....

also there is a little program out there called "Finder Quiter" which does just that...not that the finder eats up that many processor cycles...but hey it might help.

definetly one of the best things you can do is to drastically slim down your extension set, and generally your extension set is where you run into conflicts more often than not.
borg

Post by borg »

can someone give me comments to the following?

i just put everything in the trash can on my mac G3 450Mhz, 256Mb (for the moment). i divided the hard disk in three parts. on one partition i installed OS9.1, the normal way, made adaptions for internet and everything. on the second partition, i also installed OS9.1, but with several changes taking in mind the above written text. i only installed mac os9.1, mac os runtime for java, color sync. then i disabled software update, as well as some extensions (powermac g3 modem, printingLib, print monitor, multiprocessing folder (didn't trash it, just disabled it)).
virtual memory is off, apple talk inactive, index scheduler is off, energy saver set to never, display sleep at about 30 min, speakable items off (i think) and trashed internet explorer, netscape, stuff i don't need in a DAW.
the third and biggest partition is for recording audio.
is this DAW partition ready for installing cubase 5.1 and pulsarII v3 or propack?
is it possible to switch (via startup disk control panel) between the two operating systems? or might this cause problems? it would be nice, it only takes less than a minute to change startup disks, but it could make the DAW disk work fine, not?

i couldn't find 'startup doubler extension' and 'default folder extension' though.

i hope all goes well, cause everything worked fine with pulsar v3.0 and a cubase 5.0 i had a go with for a few months (unfortunately it wasn't mine, and keeping in mind the warez topic :wink: anyway, i put down the dough and am still waiting for 5.1 to arrive in the store i bought it from).
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

On 2001-11-21 06:25, borg wrote:

i couldn't find 'startup doubler extension' and 'default folder extension' though.
The above extensions/control panels are commercial ones (I mentioned them thinking of people having them installed :smile: .

About 2 OSs: They are almost independend (as they were on two machines) so if you have cubase installed on one partition and try to access it from another you probably get the message 'install cubase once more' or so(and trying to launch pulsar from a partition it haven't been installed causes other messages to appear. The only connection between the two OSes is desktop (you see all items from one os and all from thew second) and also managing of folders: you can move all files in the desired destination.

There is a way (workaround) for launching a desired app from another partition than installed - all the required extensions, control panels and preferences should be mirrored to their specific places.
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Added some tips: look in the second frame of this thread (above)
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

Great link! U rock!
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

THE BEST WAY TO SPEED UP THINGS:
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~schrier/mhz.html

heheh oven-clocking... :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Air_PoLLo on 2001-11-30 17:23 ]</font>
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Wow, if I rock then You do rock'n roll :cool:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2001-11-29 15:47 ]</font>
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

On 29:11:2001 Air said:
heheh oveclocking... :smile:
You mean oveNclocking, don't you? BTW a microwave one? :lol:
Yes, he means that!!! :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2001-11-29 15:51 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2001-12-01 16:13 ]</font>
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

HEhehe check it out now. I corrected that!
coc999

Post by coc999 »

Just to add some informations about the OS:
i have read somewhere that if you upgrade in os 9.2.2 (9.2.1 is stable) the mac is crashing often.(I don't with what audiocard etc...).
The osX is crashing too with the protool systems.
has somebody here experiment these config?:)
(personnaly i am still under 8.6 for the moment and it is stable)
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

Two simple ones I did on my Mac G4, 400 Mhz. I changed the main 5400 rpm drive to a new 7200 rpm drive. I changed the stock ATI 16 MB video card to a Radeon Mac Edition 32 MB. About a 15 to 20% speedup there. Reaktor became usable (those ensembles are LARGE). But that's all probably "duh!" to all you smart ones out there. And strangely when I changed the main drive and reinstalled Pulsar the "cset.ini file" in my Pulsar went from saying it was 153 K in size to saying it was 4 K in size. I don't know if that's bad or good.
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

On 2002-01-11 03:36, coc999 wrote:
i have read somewhere that if you upgrade in os 9.2.2 (9.2.1 is stable) the mac is crashing often.(I don't with what audiocard etc...).
I have installed 9.2.2 but on my 'experimental' partition. I don't see any visible improvements comparing to 9.1. 9.1 works great (the good old truth is if something work fine, don't improve it because you can meet new probs :wink:
(personnaly i am still under 8.6 for the moment and it is stable)
Yeah, 8.6 rules!!!!!!!!!!! But you are not able to run it on every machine (my g4/400/AGP runs on 9 and above, only and the new quicksilver babes can work with 9.2 and above...)