Lexicon PCM70

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Lexicon PCM70

Post by dawman »

Just in case you want a fantastic sounding reverb.
I haven't used one in years, as I screwed up and sold mine so I could have a Lexicon ( DiGiTech ) PCM91.
I loved the idea of being all digital and having AES/EBU's and thought the 91 was the Lexicon of Yore w/ Digital I/O's.........................NOT. It's still a fine reverb but the sound of my PCM70 and DMP7 on Gigastudio using the ancient EgoSys WAMI Rack sounded better, but I just dropped 1600 USD so I lied to myself to avoid slashing my wrists. Plus I thought it could have been the new Scope Cards too ( 2003 ).
At any rate an ancient Bastard I knew back in 85 just moved back to Vegas and plays a B3/Leslie w/ the Leslie verb disabled and the PCM 70 instead. It sounded fucking incredible and the guy plays like Jimmy Smith to boot.
So I bribed him to come to come to the crib at 5am and unfortunately had to help pack his B3/Leslie..
We hooked up the rigs, and I ran my kontakt libraries out of the Analog outs on the XITE-1 and was shocked at the difference in quality.
I always thought that 700-800 for a used PCM70 was high on ebay, but I know why now.
Can't believe I made such a huge mistake but live and learn.

The tip for any live Scopers.
If you are doing a gig and want the absolute best warm, wrapped around reverb effect for sampled instruments or drums. You have to have one of these.
Screw the digital I/O's since you are only using an analog out, no loop necessary.
At least try one out used at a store.

A prime example of something thats "old " and "outdated" but just cant be reproduced.
I am embarrassed no doubt, but since this is onlay a forum and you'll never see me..........its Cool.
iSiStOy

Re: Lexicon PCM70

Post by iSiStOy »

Amen!

I'm in a buying mood actually and can't stop thinking I need to buy a quality HW verb.
I have the Kurzweil Rumour for more than a year now, which is correct quality but it can't compete with this...
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Have you heard Warp's latest reverb LX480, an emulation of the Lexicon 480L. It sounds absolutely amazing and definately worth checking out. At the moment it is in beta but should be released soonish.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-prod ... ak-36.html

or when it is ready http://www.relab.dk/

Sadly not for Scope, but native and RTAS version will be released I seem to recall.
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

Yep, I read a thread here or there about it and I did listen to some examples on gearslut (was it there?).
It looks promising!