midi stability over usb

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ARCADIOS

midi stability over usb

Post by ARCADIOS »

midi through scope5 ios seems very stable.
i would say that midi only without usb connection of the midi controllers when using sequencers, nuendo, ableton, propellerhead....... is much more stable.

when using only midi, you can even turn on and off your midi controller without any problems having the sequencer on.

when i had usb singal of the midi controller sent to sequencer.. i randomly got blue screens.... freezes... or scope colapse when the midi controler was accidentally turned off or when there was usb corruption.

So, the most stable way using midi controlers is through midi.

it saved me a lot of waste of time loading reloading my software.
when only midi is connected.. i can even turn on the midi controller after the sequencer has been loaded, if i like.. or i decide to use it in the midle of a project.

this is according to my experience.............. any other opinions are usefull.
siriusbliss

Re: midi stability over usb

Post by siriusbliss »

My opinion?

USB is crap.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

some usb is more crap than others.

for instance the old steinberg 8 in 8 out MIDI box which is no longer made (the system is actually owned by access music and they use it on the virus TI now) and the virus itself play together very well. the steinberg box has been flawless for me with external machines. but i bought a USB2 card that works on PCI-E 1 and it helps to keep the IRQ stuf under control. i put the MIDI box and the virus on there because they have the most USB traffic.

monome works great even though it is open hardware, what i do have trouble with if they are on the same PC as scope are novation and behringer things. i always just connect the behringer by midi so it doent matter, novation drivers even screw up timing for my sequencer PC which does not even have any scope boards on it.

I have on my scope PC programming software for (USB) control of roland VG 99 and variOS and they dont bother it at all.
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

Motu miditimepiece usb here & no probs so far...
dante

Post by dante »

I tend to agree, I have the Steinberg MIDEX 8 and it always lets me down on Sysex. If I need Sysex comms to an out-of-the-box device, better to use real Pulsar MIDI port. Secondly, when I got my Behringer BCR2000 I found it easier to connect directly into Scope project via Luna MIDI ports - there dont seem to be any Scope I/O component for USB MIDI (?)
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

dante wrote:I tend to agree, I have the Steinberg MIDEX 8 and it always lets me down on Sysex. If I need Sysex comms to an out-of-the-box device, better to use real Pulsar MIDI port. Secondly, when I got my Behringer BCR2000 I found it easier to connect directly into Scope project via Luna MIDI ports - there dont seem to be any Scope I/O component for USB MIDI (?)
There are no USB modules in Scope (to see the I/O that's actually external to Scope hardware).
In order to see USB in Scope I have used MIDI-OX to map the USB port into a 'virtual' Scope MIDI port.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

I got the scope midi connected to one of the motu ports and I get it to work nicely (with a little midi filtering in Scope though).
doktorfuture

Post by doktorfuture »

USB Midi is like giving a real drummer a shot of JD followed by a pink wine cooler.

It's like a 'humanize' feature built in.
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

lol
You surely not want to connect too many usb devices when using it. It can help avoiding the "built-in" shuffle effect :lol:
judiefre1

Post by judiefre1 »

siriusbliss wrote:
dante wrote:I tend to agree, I have the Steinberg MIDEX 8 and it always lets me down on Sysex. If I need Sysex comms to an out-of-the-box device, better to use real Pulsar MIDI port. Secondly, when I got my Behringer BCR2000 I found it easier to connect directly into Scope project via Luna MIDI ports - there dont seem to be any Scope I/O component for USB MIDI (?)
There are no USB modules in Scope (to see the I/O that's actually external to Scope hardware).
In order to see USB in Scope I have used MIDI-OX to map the USB port into a 'virtual' Scope MIDI port.

Greg
ah im glad this topic came up. i just sold my synth and just got this dreadful midi controller with no midi in/outs :x sirius bliss how exactly do i get this "virtual" usb midi module in scope? whats this midi-ox? thanks
judiefre1

Post by judiefre1 »

ive been able to use my midi controller connecting to sequencer source only when my sequencer is open with an open midi track...but how do i get it to work when sequencer is closed, just scope?
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

MIDI-OX will also let you port your USB input directly into your sequencer, and essentially go around Scope.
MIDI playback from sequencer can then still playback out through seq. source in Scope into Scope synths, etc..

Maple is also good.

Both do virtual internal routing, and MIDI-OX can also serve as MIDI tool for viewing MIDI data, re-configuring MIDI data, etc.

Greg