Replace task manager with process explorer

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Neutron

Replace task manager with process explorer

Post by Neutron »

Process explorer is a program which allows you to see a bit more detail about what is running on windows, for instance it will show you what is running inside each of those "svchost" processes.
it is generally much more comprehensive and has more options and detail than task manager
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96653.aspx

The program was originally made by sysinternals which was bought by Microsoft. (also made the famous "blue screen of death" joke screen saver (which you can still download from Microsoft which i find a bit amusing:) )
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 97558.aspx

anyways there is an option called "replace task manager" which i tried, at first it did not work, i had to do it 2 times (win7 ultimate 64) now i get that program instead of task manager which is quite useful to see what is really going on.

after you do that the "replace task manager" option is changed to a "restore task manager" so you may change it back.

task manager is a 32 bit program anyways so it works on x64 versions fine.
siriusbliss

Re: Replace task manager with process explorer

Post by siriusbliss »

Thanks Neutron...

Process Explorer is great for seeing the core distribution of certain apps.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
David

Post by David »

Thanks - Very useful
Approximate reading time: 1 minute
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

Neutron wrote:anyways there is an option called "replace task manager" which i tried, at first it did not work, i had to do it 2 times (win7 ultimate 64) now i get that program instead of task manager which is quite useful to see what is really going on.
didn't see the "replace tm" option before, thanks for the tip. worked immediately here (win2003).
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.