Dual Monophonic Playing

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Dual Monophonic Playing

Post by dawman »

I have always liked Analog synths because of their performing features.
Seperate Oscillator Glide, Portamento Low or Last note Legato's, and rock solid snappy envelopes.
But thankfully our DSP programmers include these features on some synths and it really helps out on the bottom end of each hand.
I tried to demonstrate this by holding down the lowest note on each hand so when I play an upper note it glides right up and snaps right back into place when the upper notes are released.
This is cool for Bass Drones, and also monophonic psuedo power chords.
In the studio Guitarists of Yore always did their droned chords seperately if they were in power trio groups like Rush, Hendrix, etc.
XOR does this really well for the distorted power chords.
Bowen synths all have the Oscillator glide now so they can do Bass and retro leads really well too with the old drifty authenticity.
MANIC DEPRESSIONS.mp3
Dual Mono Patch.JPG
siriusbliss

Re: Dual Monophonic Playing

Post by siriusbliss »

Jim plays Jimmy :wink:

I'm noticing that Xor responds well to guitar pitchbend controllers. I'm considering the possibility of layering in harmonizing or some other real-time filters to create new effect layers when chasing pitch-bend.

Any ideas?

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dawman

Post by dawman »

If your PBend is that accurate you could try something like this.
Have PBend control the Cutoff Frequency or Resonance of a filter, or actually both simultaneously using SpaceF's CC Devices.
Another idea that XITE-1 is good for is an old recording trick before there was MIDI, etc.
Vocalists would sing a single track on a verse, and then the chorus/bridge sections would be 3 tracks recorded on top of each other for a real natural chorus.
Lucky Man by ELP did this really well.
Guitar parts done this way were used by David Gilmour from PFloyd and of course that silly solo from Freebird by Skynard. Everything that came out of Muscle Shoals back then used this technique to great effect.
If you want to try it I will help you with the CC Devices, but here's a way you could just try it with 2 instances of the same synth for a taste.
XOR #1: PBend = 1, Portamento to 5, MIDI Channel OMNI, poly 2 unison 1
XOR #2: PBend = 2, Portamento to 15, MIDI Channel OMNI, poly 2 unison 2
Just play the synths w/o the Guitar and listen to old vintage recording trick reproduced live.

I apologize for the musical example used, but I have to play this crap to pay my bills, but it is a prime example of that sound.
QUEZEE SCHLOPP.mp3
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

I've already done a lot of the layered track trick. For guitars I usually record up to 5 tracks simultaneously using layered chorusing from Digitech or Eventide boxes anyways.

What I'm talking about is being able to weave in harmonies using cc via pedals - or perhaps I'll just run an arpeggiator in parallel and use a volume pedal to weave it in.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dawman

Post by dawman »

Black Box II has lots of cool stuff since Mehdi plays Guitar also.
One could have presets for certain pitches attached to an expression pedal.
But I could see holding onto to a note and bleeding in entire # 11's or 9th's....etc.
The 2 outputs are not mono either, but 2 x stereo effects can be inserted.
A pair of Echo 35's with one being like the Steve Miller Fly Like An Eagle Tape Delay, and the 2nd Echo 35 being a Touch Filter.

http://www.spacef-devices.com/index.php ... ck-II.html
untitled.JPG
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

yeah, BBII is on my short list of considerations for new devices.

Thanks,

Greg
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

Great playing, nice sounds ! I love the way the lines go with the glide.
What a fat bastard this synth is !

Jimmy, more ! :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Another good old bendy shit guitar thing.
HEY MOE.mp3
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

Thanks Jimmy !
Wow, there's a lot going on in the filter sweep departement here... It's almost too rich for anything else.
Talking about fat :o
Great demo !
Although, I hear you changed the phrasing on the lower line from 1'32" to 1'38". Why not indeed. I'm so used to the original phrasing that it jumped to my ears... :lol:

Have a good day Jimmy the music enthusiast !

Bifop
dawman

Post by dawman »

I am starting to get the Guitar thing a little better.
Actually if I didn't have to play the bass parts and use the pedals I could scream, but I am somewhat limited.
Here's an NFL Football game favorite.
In Vegas the silliest songs will get you tips, drinks & trim... :wink:

In memory of Randy Rhodes.
CRAZY TRAIN.mp3
VODOO CHILD.mp3
I am using Mehdi's AUX Delay with a Phaser in the insert slot. I have purposely used excessive effects because I just love the sound of his delay device, and live when your cabinets are 10 -20 feet apart, it really kicks major ass in an outdoor venue.