Lossless Limiting Live

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Lossless Limiting Live

Post by dawman »

I don't care much for Compressors unless I have many tracks of music, so live they really don't come in handy unless I have other instruments than my synths, or I need to Sidechain certain instruments.
It's quite obvious to me when I route external Analog synths into Scope projects that the sound it quite more powerful, and therefore harder to control.
I have used Limiters, and the problem with that is that it changes the the sound too much of my synth, and while it keeps all channels to a certain level, while using my left hand comps the Analog synth just doesn't stand out the way I'd like it to.
So after years of head scratching I finally tried something new for live work and it's perfect.
I put LimFat on an AUX Channel w/ a Brick Wall setting. It appears that by using the full amount of the AUX on a channel I get the full Brick Wall effect. Using 60%-100% actually gives me softer settings per channel this way too.
But on the Analog Synth Channel I have a stock Limiter with a soft knee setting and the synth sounds FAT, while the comping channels fit perfectly.
Since I use the Analog w/ pads using 2 x zones for a full low end seperate from the Pads, this works just as well for the Bass drones as the leads.
This is very unorthodox, but it works very well.
valis

Re: Lossless Limiting Live

Post by valis »

Sounds like Bus compression to me? I forget what facilities your mixers have as I don't own them...