Scope and ReaInsert (REAPER)

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

voidar

Scope and ReaInsert (REAPER)

Post by voidar »

So I ditched the STM 2448 in the project and decided on mixing within REAPER. It is so much easier to relate to one mixer and having it all automated. Also it saves a lot of DSP.

Anyway, I couldn't for the love of fun get this to work before I turned off "Anticipative FX processing", which I guess makes sense. REAPER is then waiting for something to happen in the form of processed samples, which is no good.
This is also the recomended mode for UAD plugins.

Running smoothly at 48KHz 6ms now with channel, bus, aux and master Scope FX applied, all in sync :).

Loving REAPER v.3 B.T.W.! Nice default GUI.
the19thbear

Re: Scope and ReaInsert (REAPER)

Post by the19thbear »

reaper is way nice!
i use it all the time :)

I use it in xtc mode. I have 2 stm 1632 mixers (or whatever they are called)
One for monitoring inputs, and one for outputs ( monitor 1-3, wave source and asio source)
I can send from auxes in reaper and it gets send to monitor1/2/3 and send from the live inputs in the stm 1632 mixer to the different sends..
Just like in normal SFP mode ( or just like the ssl desk at my school!).. its perfect for studio use!

And reaper 3 even looks nice!

thanks for posting in the reaper forum, but i already did what you said, and it still lags a bit..
How much ram do you have? i only have 1gig. maybe thats the problem. :)
voidar

Post by voidar »

I have 2 gigs of RAM, Asus P4800 (?). It is also recomended to not disable the swap file, if you did that.

To my knowledge you wrote that you had a fairly high ULLI setting. That will introduce lag. Too small; CPU lags, too high; the driver introduces some lag of course.

I don't have imidiate playback myself. REAPER has to prebuffer the audio, so jumping from one place to the other leaves REAPER hanging unexpected.
You have to experiment with the prebuffer setting to see how low you can go. It's 1200ms by default; that's over one second (!).

It's cool that you have your own setup :). For tracking I would probably hook up an STM for live processed monitoring, but now I would just remove it during mix time.

I used to work in XTC-mode, but I find SFP-mode with ReaInsert to be a good compromise. Some plugs just don't work or work right in XTC, and the other restrictions, make it a no-no for me now.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Skins match up great with the new 3.0 version too.
This is such a pleasure using. Fast, no bloats, etc.
untitled.JPG
pollux

Post by pollux »

the19thbear wrote:reaper is way nice!
i use it all the time :)

I use it in xtc mode. I have 2 stm 1632 mixers (or whatever they are called)
One for monitoring inputs, and one for outputs ( monitor 1-3, wave source and asio source)
I can send from auxes in reaper and it gets send to monitor1/2/3 and send from the live inputs in the stm 1632 mixer to the different sends..
Just like in normal SFP mode ( or just like the ssl desk at my school!).. its perfect for studio use!

And reaper 3 even looks nice!

thanks for posting in the reaper forum, but i already did what you said, and it still lags a bit..
How much ram do you have? i only have 1gig. maybe thats the problem. :)

hi,

Why do you do this? you can easily do the same with Reaper without having to use the STM mixers. Is there any advantage in using the mixers?
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

direct monitoring and the ability to put realtime (scope) fx on the inputs!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Also in case you want a great Mixer w/ 2 x AUX's that has a great sounding Reverb, Celmo's Starfleet EZ Keyboard Mixer is so sweet when DSP's are a major concern.
The Verb is not a naturual sounding realistic reverb, but it sounds really good.
It's low DSP usage gives 4 x channels of stereo and 2 x mono's.
Just made a weekend warrior project that only needs an Analog SE-1 synth, Rhodes, Wurlitzer 200A, ARP String, Melotron, Grand Piano & Upright.
Perfect for the smoke filled Hells Angel Bar I'm sitting in at this weekend.
Because I won't be needing major synths, or even a rehersal, I made the project in 96k.
But for Reaper the way described above this mixer would be a great low DSP alternative, and just the built in EchoReq Stereo II Reverb is worth the asking price.
Tube Taper is in the 2nd AUX as is sounds good with Adern's MoJo dual channel Leslie/Amp sim I use.
untitled.JPG
Dstruct

Post by Dstruct »

Tau

Post by Tau »

He he, it's just one of those things that make me love Z!

I have tried Reaper before, but wasn't really impressed- not that it's bad at all, but I am well served in the DAW aspect. Reading this, I thought it wouldn't hurt checking out the new v.3, so I did.

I didn't download it, but instead got the free Reaplugs suite. I had spent all day trying to locate a free VST plug I had called CC rider, that could be used in Live to automate MIDI CCs, and couldn't find it. Well, not only it's incuded in Reaplugs (as a part of the Jesusonic pack), but there's also another one called ReaControlMidi that does the same with a usable GUI and all.

That really made my day :) There are many other interesting plugs in this pack, including some from Schwa and Stilwell, and even an audio streaming over network plug. It seems to be an excellent plugin pack, and you should all check it out, if you haven't already: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/reaplugs/index.php

Thanks for pointing me in that direction!

T
maxol

Post by maxol »

voidar wrote:So I ditched the STM 2448 in the project and decided on mixing within REAPER. It is so much easier to relate to one mixer and having it all automated. Also it saves a lot of DSP.

Anyway, I couldn't for the love of fun get this to work before I turned off "Anticipative FX processing", which I guess makes sense. REAPER is then waiting for something to happen in the form of processed samples, which is no good.
This is also the recomended mode for UAD plugins.

Running smoothly at 48KHz 6ms now with channel, bus, aux and master Scope FX applied, all in sync :).

Loving REAPER v.3 B.T.W.! Nice default GUI.
I really want to work this way with Scope and Reaper but I'm having a little trouble setting it up. Could someone take me through routing with ReInsert in Reaper and Scope?

Also can you only do this with effects or is it possible to have a Scope instrument used inside Reaper this way?

Many thanks for any help or suggestions.