windows update icon dissapears.

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Neutron

windows update icon dissapears.

Post by Neutron »

Windows update icon dissapeared?
i have seen it on a few systems. the windows update is downloaded, but you cant see the icon, and it wont let you install them until you restart, then it insatalls all of them. sometimes there are certain updates ypu do not want or care about, or you would like to see that an entire service pack is going to be installed without telling you.

this way you can see the icon again and chose which updates to install.

Stop the Windows update service from the command prompt with
NET STOP WUAUSERV

Run REGEDIT and navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update

Delete the BalloonTime and BalloonType values,if present.

Set DownloadExpirationTime (if present) to a date in the past.Set NextDetectionTime to a minute or two in the future.
(Note that the dates below are in format YYYY-MM-DD HH:mm:ss with a 24 hour clock.)

Restart the Windows update service from the command prompt with
NET START WUAUSERV

after those 2 minutes go by you will get your windowsupdate icon again.

this is a very crappy and temporary fix. the update icon dissapears again.
better would be finding out how to run the update thing from the command prompt.
at0m

Re: windows update icon dissapears.

Post by at0m »

Haven't tried this myself, but here's what I found:
"WuInstall is a command line tool for windows, which enables you to install windows-updates for a certain workstation in a controlled way by using a command line script instead of the standard window update functionality."

Another great resource for (built-in) Win command line tools, PowerShell and Linux console commands: http://www.ss64.com/
Came across this site recently, when a workmate asked me how to share partitions instead of just folders using XP Home. XP Home usually doesn't show "Sharing and Security" tab on partition properties, only for folders. Thought that might be usefull for fellow Pulsarians using XP Home :)
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
at0m

Post by at0m »

On LifeHacker I found update-notifier, a little app that lets you find updates for most Win apps you have installed. Now go disable, in different apps, all the auto-updates that are filling your busses with interrupts! :)
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
henrygrik

Post by henrygrik »

Hi,
Your can set the icon to appear on the task bar by going to the task-bar's setting and enabling the icon to view always and apply. For the updates to disable either you may go to control panel and in that off-course go to windows up and disable the atomic updates or by typing the "msconfig" in the command prompt and then unmark all the unnecessary process in the task panel and apply the setting and restart the PC.