SpaceF's CC8 w/ Hardware Tip

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

SpaceF's CC8 w/ Hardware Tip

Post by dawman »

SpaceF's devices are just plain awesome for MIDI.
I have been customizing my rig in anticipation of XITE-1 by changing my hardware around to suit my needs as a keyboardist, instead of the FOH/Monitor/Keyboardist/Musical Director I have done for the last year.
Many of my pedals and controller knobs were set up for live mixing, so I have reprogrammed many of my pedals and just came up w/ a stroke of genius for once by stacking my pedals.
Yes, it sounds insane, but this could be useful for synths also, not just the B2003/CC8 combo I currently use.
Below shows a stack of a Toggle Footswitch and an Expression Pedal.
Since I cannot sit and play as it is against my Religion I have had to do work arounds but this stack works fine.

With the weight of the Footswitch on top of the Expression pedal, I have set my B2003 to a default position which consists of the default drawbar set-up I like, and the Horn Rotor position on slow. This also has 2 knobs that I can twist to bring in the Scanner Vibrato or Percussion.
In it's default position I can also just step on the Footswitch to change the Rotary speed, but the real beauty comes when I bring the Expression Pedal towards me.
It then has the fast Rotor speed and Drawbar swells simultaneously, and I can still play the upper and the lower manuals with both hands, as that one handed playing is really a major sin in my book.
Because Medhi has allowed Linear and Exponential Curves w/ offset amounts, I can have the drawbars go exactly where I need, and by bringing the Expression Pedal towards me, it will naturally go back to it's default setting as soon as I release it.
And because Medhi has also incorporated a lag time amount, I can adjust that setting also.
This is not possible with the Hammonds, NI B4, Logic EVB3, Voce, Roland or any other instrument available.
These other developers might have a nice sound, and I know the Hammonds DEFINATELY do, but for live performance, they come to the battlefield unarmed.

This combination can be used under a desktop with any Creamware synth to swell filters while kicking up the resonance, etc. Just because it's a pedal and a footswitch doesn't mean you have to have it control the same virtual faders or knobs either. Clip your BPM'd Delay tails, etc. The possibilities only depend on your imagination. And because CC8 is an 8 fader device, moving a pedal or toggling a pedal footswitch means 1-8 controls can be activated / deactivated.

Maybe in 3 more years I will have mastered this incredible platform..... :lol: :o
IMG_1782.JPG
IMG_1781.JPG
capacitor

Re: SpaceF's CC8 w/ Hardware Tip

Post by capacitor »

This is also something that Yamaha & others did with their home & theater organs. They had a footswitch mounted to the side, so sliding your toe to the left did the trick. I'll see if I can get a couple of photos.

I wonder if there's a current production pedal/switch combo out there.
The first action people should take is to remove cash from Banrural, and break the banks of corrupt people. #escandalogt
dawman

Post by dawman »

Nice old shit there Stardust... :wink:
I had a Farfisa Synthaslalom with a pull out plastic fader that was the first Pitch Bend I ever had. Also had a similat Vibrato bar that hung down. I hated sitting down so I tied a nylon rope to it and kept it around my wrist....
I like the old shit redone w/ new tech.
spacef

Post by spacef »

I really like the green carpet Jimmy :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

Lower Carbon Taxes.................. :lol:

I am retiring my Rotary cabinet in preparation for the ultimate 8U DAW w/ 2 x Powered Sona 32's. No more Subs either.
Your stuff has made it so easy to work w/ MIDI I see no advantages of a real hardware rotary anymore. While it sounds great onstage where I stand, the ability to control the Leslie emulation in B2003 w/ these extra MIDI tricks is a better solution.
Boy I bet a CC4 Button/Toggle would be awesome...............oh sorry, didn't mean to bust your Balls.. :wink:
spacef

Post by spacef »

Yeah, I already thought of various ways to manage several buttons with one pedal (i haven't tried in real use).
... but i will begin simple... you will tell me... next week/week end...
dawman

Post by dawman »

Simple is great.
BTW your idea of the Lag time following the curve is really quite pratical.
If it was globally or bi-directionally applied it would cause a slow reset.
You really are a very detailed person.
I bet you have blueprints above your silverware drawer in the litchen for visitors....... :lol:

Thanks Medhi.
spacef

Post by spacef »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Simple is great.
I bet you have blueprints above your silverware drawer in the litchen for visitors....... :lol:
:)
it's all in my head before doing it for real which is the real test...
The silverware, which is plentiful in my kitchen, is to remain alone :-)
I did enjoy showing the internals of some of my devs to people who don't have an idea of how to make plugins in general (and who don't have a scope ;-) ), and are always very impressed with what you can do with scope... indirect and remote advertising :D (and easy showing off :roll: )....

Need to work, cu l8r
dawman

Post by dawman »

Here's something I never knew I could do with an Analog synth.
Right now it works with SpaceF's CC8 like a charm.
But this was meant for SOLARIS !!!!
It's always fun twisting knobs, but that means playing with one hand.

I will now have the ultimate control by using 4 x Expression Pedals, and 4 x Footpedal Switches.
Solaris ( hardware ), B2003, QWave and the SE-1X will each have their own CC2 /5/ or 8.
They will have a preset for each recording / song. This is great for live, but imagine how fast you can record now.
No sequencing and all of that extra time doing MIDI overdubs.

But the most exciting thing is to have the SE-1X and Solaris's knobs all going where you want in one pass, or in my case live.

CC8 SE-1X.JPG
IMG_1795.JPG
dawman

Post by dawman »

Can you imagine the motion one can get w/ the Solaris and this?...... :o
Those Waldorf Oscillators work really well and are quite smooth if set up properly.
I have so much fun being unemployed.... :lol:
Too bad I gotta back to work in 6 weeks.. :x
dawman

Post by dawman »

http://www.spacef-devices.com/dacore/in ... =97&id=156

And here's the audio mode way of using it... :wink:
Cool..
grappa

Post by grappa »

Jimmy,

Your posts often leave me with mixed feelings - this one was the usual mixture of inspiration and 'this guy is nuts' :)

I'd never fired up the B2003 before (shameful I know - I'm a poor keyboard player) but after reading this I dug out an old Art X-15 ultrafoot pedal (used to use it when big hair and guitar racks were fashionable) blew the dust off it and rigged it up.

Minutes turned into hours and (after a considerable amount of swearing) I've now got myself a livin, swellin, rotatin monster - can't wipe the smile off my face!

Big thank's to Mr A also for getting me off to a great start with his pre's.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I know I walk to the beat of a different drummer, but SpaceF is to blame, and Mr. Arkadins pre's are a sign of serious sickness also.
This depth of exploration comes from hours of persistance, and since one starts a path, another adds, and now as you see the sickness spreads a little more.
Tools like this are as great as a new synth.

Cheers Mate.
dawman

Post by dawman »

MAN OR MYTH.......................................MEDHI.........ankyu... :)

This is such a great device and it just got better. I use it for drawbars which use to take my left hand to do. That sucks but that's life in the big city.
That's why I love Scope. I can play a great emulation of a Hammond B3, and actually it is easier to play than the real deal. That means I can still solo while having the Leslie speeds change and drawbars swelling and collapsing. 3 seconds each way !!!!!!!!!!!
We do not know how lucky we really are.
You synth guys should try this as a a cutoff frequency controller. Since there are 2 sliders, you can have one on the resonance, and even have seperate velocity curves which the start and stop points. You can even reverse the Linear curve to Linear R which would bring the resonance down while increasing the Cutoff frequency.
This is going to be a major Scope year for all of us......... :wink:
untitled D.JPG
dawman

Post by dawman »

Here's a cool way to get real rich chorusing by controlling the rate the knob of the Flexor III Sine LFO module, via a CC2x2 Device.
I can use the expression pedal or have it automated using the LFOtoMIDI patch.
Without the SpaceF CC devices I could never have the proper instensity or curves to do this.
FLEXOR III.mp3
Sine LFO Chorusing.JPG
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

good music man