Soniccore's Leslie Emulation

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Soniccore's Leslie Emulation

Post by dawman »

01-090306_1816.mp3

I did some experiments with my Motion-Sound Pro3t last night and today.
I used the built in microphones that are Y'd off-center of the horn, and ran them back through the A16U into a Scope project.
There I added the DAS DynaPara, and the even more capable Master IT that also has great M/S capabilities.
Naturally it sounded excellent, but then I decided to try the audio inputs of the B2003 and try out the Scanner Vibrato and Leslie emulation................. :o
They sounded exactly the same, but the B2003's Leslie has better control over the mic spread, balance and various Rotary speeds.

I see the need now for an entirely new design where the 3 x MIDI channels can be Organ manuals, and the audio inputs can be routed out to seperate outputs, all while accessing the devices Scanner Vibrato and Leslie cabinet. It would be a monster.

I used my ancient 40 Dollar ARP String Ensemble form Sonic Implants and sent it to the audio In's of the B2003. And yes it sounds even better than my Rotary because it has more tweakability, but what really made the Horn of the Leslie sound so sweet was the Master IT and DAS DynaPara.

The Scanner Vibrato is breifly used from 1 minute 10 seconds into the snippet for 4 seconds, then I switched it back off via MIDI. But it has a beautiful sound also.

Sadly after I recorded this I tried the DAS Legend pre B2003, and remembered the gain stage of a real Leslie >>>>>Tube Pre Amp >>>>> Horn & Baffle. Needless to say it sounded even better but I don't have time to re do it.

But for anyone who has the B2003, if you are not taking advantage of this feature, you musty try it with some vocals or drums or sampled content, as it is a Jewel in the Box.
For the Scanner Vibrato you must activate the Lower Manual. But you'll soon be tweaking everything.
Sadly the presets are all about the organ and are far from realistic when emulating the Doppler effect of the Leslie.
I can provide some if anyone needs them, but it's something that each player will hear and use differently. I am just emulating my old cabinets I once used, even though that has been 10 years, I still can hear them in my head.

I love not having a job... :D
Last edited by dawman on Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crickstone

Re: Soniccore's Leslie Emulation

Post by Crickstone »

Cool tip!
Would never have thunk it! Crimson and Henley wow...a concert promoter's nightmare.....
wayne

Post by wayne »

Right with ya JV - it's a great thing when you can ramp max <-> min spin time on the fly like that. Got me inspired to use the Noah that way with external mic/input.

Interpole is a ripper, too :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yes Ripper w/ the Rhodes preset used for the realistic Square Wave Panning is awesome.
Thanks for reminding me as anything with an audio input is getting a going over today.
I think somebody's mouse is stuck too.....197 downloads has to be incorrect. There's only 56 views ???
at0m

Post by at0m »

Don't know if this one can stand the comparison, but it's always been amongst my favs:
http://www.celmo.com/LesliQ_page.htm
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
dawman

Post by dawman »

Brotha' Man at0m....forgive my rudeness..

Celmo's is also excellent and thanks for reminding me of it's worthiness..
celmos leslie-q.JPG
Celmo's Journey Up The Rhine..by Wagner.
MTron's strings from the Melotron 300 series.
This time the DAS Legend was properly placed pre Horn/Rotary.

Celmo's is a single Horn w/o the lower Baffle which was Guitarists favorites like Steve Howe and Leslie West of the Nantucket Sleighride era.
CELMOS LESLIE-Q.mp3
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

Hang on a minute... downloaded approx 200 times in hours? dude u got an audience :)

Nice work, and nice consept! B2003 is one of the few CW/S|C plugs im still missing :(
dawman

Post by dawman »

More like 18 downloads probably as the second mp3 will reflect a more realistic accounting.
Speaking of realistic I dug up a recording of the Leslie 147 w/ an ARP String Ensemble from 30 some years ago and I think it's amazing how close Scope developers got on such a difficult form of amplification.

Here's the real deal, you'll notice how close it sounds, and this was recorded with the most expensive mics, consoles and effects of the day.
147 LESLIE ARP STRING.mp3
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

[self promotion]Don't forget i have some presets (about to be updated as it happens) for B-2003 including some external audio input effects.[/self promotion]

i'm thinking of trying space f's FAT before my Leslie, definitely with M-Tron.

Also Leslie gets forgotten a bit for vocals - check out Jon Anderson of Yes, i think Astral Traveller has some great Leslied vocals as i recall.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well now that you mentioned it, our group did a great rendition of And You & I with a female vocalist and we had the Leslie Vocals pre recorded on VDAT. I use to get a kick out of other players faces that would watch us as they would look up at my Motion Sound cabinet trying to figure out why the Rotor was in slow mode but they heard fast rotored vocals.... :-? :lol:

I am anxious for your pre's, please keep me posted as the forum has come to life recently with new devices and great Modular stuff.
This place will be on fire when Scope 5.0 gets released.

Your pre's will add fuel to the fire.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Here's another emulation which I think is the best so far using the internal Leslie.
DynaPara added some depth but still doesn't strengthen the Doppler Effect.
What makes the effect live so captivating is the way in which the speed of the horn, and speed of the lower Bass baffle are at different speeds. They both operate off of the same Servo Motor, but due to the actual physical dimensions of the baffle and the horn, the acceleration and deceleration speeds are different.
I use a footswitch pedal where I step down for faster speeds, and release it for the slow ( default ) speed.
By attaching a SpaceF CC2 device to the SpaceF LFO Envelope Follower device, I can now trigger the speeds of the Leslie and the Speeds of the LFO rate on the LFO EF device.
Using a smooth Sine waveform as the LFO, and matching the slow and fast rates, with offset factors of 20-30k I get a Double Doppler effect which is much stronger than ever before.
The offset values of the slow speed make the depth really sound 3D.
I.E. the slow speed on the Leslie is 74khz, the LFO is 54khz, this offset value adds some serious depth for a more realistic sound, and when I step on the footswitch ( CC67 ) the fast rate is 6.50k on the Leslie, and 6.30k on the LFO device. Acceleration rate on the B2003 can be adjusted, and on the CC2 device, the lag time knobs are the acceleration and deceleration rates.
I can also route other instruments into the B2003 and because the LFO EF device is connected to the SpaceF mixer's mod I/O's I can apply the same effect to any instrument that sens audio to the audio in of the B2003. The ARP String stuff is really cool, and the Rhodes is also useful.
untitled.JPG