Solaris 5 Control

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

nightscope

Solaris 5 Control

Post by nightscope »

Just wondering if anyone has mapped Solaris 5 to a hardware controller? I want to do it but will refrain if the dreaded automation preset bug is evident.

ns
“Women and rhythm-section first!”
dawman

Re: Solaris 5 Control

Post by dawman »

I automate Bowen synths and have several hardware CC's assigned to it.

BTW I always rename my MIDI CC's with a " - " so it sits at the top of the bank list.
This helps me, but I always have to double check which ones are remembered, and right click for the numbers, then hit add. Sure it's a little PITA but well worth the hassle.
It seems as though I can store and recall 4 CC's, but always have to do the add trick to the remainder.
Funny thing is that Mehdi's MIDI CC2/5/8, and all of the mixers work fine, Creamware should have asked him for his tricks years ago.

I'd be happy to share any ideas with you, or presets.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

Thanks for the info Jimmy. Yeah, Mehdi's stuff works fine. I shall bear your offer of help in mind. I intend mapping most of the knobs in the various sections to my Bitstream 3X which has a lot of knobs, also the sequencers. Have a different preset for each osc section and on the 3X. Big job and might be more trouble than it's worth.

ns
dawman

Post by dawman »

I really like the layout of that controller, and the Zero Remote looks good too.
I am interested to see how your task goes.
I have always had trouble w/ the presets remembering every CC, but I hope this is addressed in Scope 5.0, as that would be a great reason to upgrade too.
DJ Micron re worked my B2003 somehow in SDK so that the Rotary speed was remebered on Start Up, as I immediately noticed the preset bug years back and was somewhat discouraged, but obviously I got over it, as I had a single card back then..... :lol:

Keep Me Posted..
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:the presets remembering every CC, but I hope this is addressed in Scope 5.0, as that would be a great reason to upgrade too.
3X is a tank. Not an Abrams but more like some Russian behemoth rumbling out of the Cold War. I figure v5 has to have some goodies in there.

How long before v5? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYRmQRtS3cw

ns
spacef

Post by spacef »

off topic warning
if I ever buy a controller again, it will be a 3X... or two in top of each other, with a bcr to fill the other side, in an enclosure with a double keyboard and other controller with two 24' screen .... :roll: (and i should play this on an apartment bike to train mi legs while i move the fingers on the keys)....
off topic incident closed
RP_001

Post by RP_001 »

:lol:
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

spacef wrote:off topic warning
if I ever buy a controller again, it will be a 3X... or two in top of each other, with a bcr to fill the other side, in an enclosure with a double keyboard and other controller with two 24' screen .... :roll: (and i should play this on an apartment bike to train mi legs while i move the fingers on the keys)....
3X is good with the FP10/6C. Fits perfectly. I have one 3X group for mono 1-6 & stereo 1-2 and another for stereo 3-10. Flip back and forth with the group dial. If I got, say, a FAT mixer going into the FP as well I can change the midi channel on the 3X and select another group configured specifically for the FAT and the FAT is wired up and FP disabled. Very fast. The p functions on the mixers are assigned to buttons on the 3X to get to the mixers quick. Mono audition to the footswitch, presets to buttons. When you start combining different 3X groups with different mixer automation presets it gets pretty wild. Two units would be insane.

ns
dawman

Post by dawman »

OT Again...

How was it that an SDK developer could fix the preset bug issue and even rename the B2003 to JimmyV 2003?
I was always very happy with devices that work perfectly and even though these are small issues to most, when you use MIDI to control audio stems, effects, and AUX mixing live these little tricks are a life saver.
The only hassle is to just re assign the ones that are left out on start up.
In my case, about 7 out of 24 in my current project.
I didn't like using SixString live because it always loaded up that lame sounding delay. I had to accept that, and go and make all presets with the delay activated, but it's wet amounts set to zero, so there was a work around.
Scope isn't perfect but I bet if these guys dig into the new 5.0 & XITE-1 as much as I hope they have, we will have an extremely versatile masterpiece.

BTW does the UAD cards the same issues and little buggy pests bothering it?
I think every peice of software I have has some little bugs here and there.
My latest PhysMod Piano has so many great things about it, but when I start up a project it remembers the presets, etc. but always defaults to OMNI no matter what I do. It does sound kinda cool having the low end note of a Grand Piano mixed w/ a fat mono preset off of my analog, but that's not what I was after.

Maybe MIDI is just the little PITA, but life w/o it would be a MAJOR PITA.

off topic warning
if I ever buy a controller again, it will be a 3X... or two in top of each other, with a bcr to fill the other side, in an enclosure with a double keyboard and other controller with two 24' screen .... (and i should play this on an apartment bike to train mi legs while i move the fingers on the keys)....
off topic warning
off topic incident closed :lol: :lol:

Medhi your humor is most refreshing,...............but I actually think you are serious.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:BTW does the UAD cards the same issues and little buggy pests bothering it?
I think every peice of software I have has some little bugs here and there.......

.....Medhi your humor is most refreshing,...............but I actually think you are serious.
Doing music production on a computer is like trying to get a tough resolution though the United Nations when the interpreters are all pissed up in the bar. UAD talks to Reaper('Mericano) and XT(Norwegian) fine but when the Germans, Samplitude, walk in all bets are off. Though to be fair they have fixed any UAD issues pretty well recently by making any UAD plugs off card processing happen on one core by default. Add a bunch of various USB drivers wheeled in by God knows who and you got a virtual Tower Of Babel. USB, what a total Rubik's cube that is. I just got a 7 port hub as I'm out of connections with the 4 port. I shudder to think how things will rearrange themselves when I plug it in. Direct USB midi in's & outs to Scope environment would be cool.

If I recall correctly, unlike the presets, Mehdi sorted the CC thing with sheer attention to detail. French humour, extremely bizarre. 3X is French designed and the main man, Jerome, will sort anything, anytime fast. Same with DAS & Captain spacef. French know how to take care of their customers. Their rugby ain't so hot at the moment, though. :P

ns
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

stardust wrote:Novation
Automap is cool. English diplomacy at it's best, talks to anyone. Enough said. :D

ns
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

I use Novation Nocturn that I have for the VST's in host. Solaris will get the 3X treatment in Scopeland. I'm not a great fan of XTC tho I appreciate it is a very good way of working for others. BTW what does XTC stand for?

ns
spacef

Post by spacef »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: off topic warning
off topic incident closed :lol: :lol:

Medhi your humor is most refreshing,...............but I actually think you are serious.
The double keyboard+controller is more or less serious yes....
The rest is an old dream... making sport while making non-sport activities :-)
It will be the next "real" evolution for music and other human activities, a huge leap forward, when it happens.....

But there should be a way top convert an appartment bike into a controller for tempo .... 8)
I also dream of making devices while lifting iron, but that's complicated, i would need a monkey-feet transplant, and i am not yet ready for that (mainly because of the shoes that would be hard to find).
Attachments
something like that
something like that
aeonflux2005-07.jpg (8.38 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
Last edited by spacef on Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
spacef

Post by spacef »

nightscope wrote: If I recall correctly, unlike the presets, Mehdi sorted the CC thing with sheer attention to detail.
ns

To make a device fully midi CC integrated, it has to become a priority from the start. then, you build with this "rule" in mind from start to end.

It is not so complicated (vals connected to pads, and pads go to preset lists and modules), but it forbids to do a few things, like connecting two surface elements "vals" together directly (the main cause for bugs). It also obliges to put the said parameters in the preset list, which is not always wanted. Somehow, it leads to making simpler UIs, and sometimes you will really need to think about how to make a certain function works when you need it to be fully CC integrated... It is more constraints when making the devices.
For synths, the fact that you need some parameters to stay out of the presets, while having them fully CC compatible can be difficult to deal with: either you find a clever way to achieve simple functions (and that takes dsps, by building an internal "workaround" of some kind), or you remove the function (or redo it completely)...
I talk about midi CC and the Midi CC preset list, you don't need all that to save them with your project.

I haven't tried solaris 5 yet, so i can't tell... but I guess John is the one who can help in this matter.
Last edited by spacef on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

Just stuck the 7 port hub on and everything lit up in the right places, on time and ready to boogie. Amazing. I can have my USB Microphone Radio plugged in now. I don't use the radio which is garbage but the "On The Air" sign is neat.

ns
spacef

Post by spacef »

nightscope wrote:French know how to take care of their customers. Their rugby ain't so hot at the moment, though. :P

ns

That's probably from those few French who are fed up with the poor service customers generally get in France....

Neat USB "On Air" thingy.... :lol:
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

I think we got the excercise bike solution for you, Mehdi.

ns
spacef

Post by spacef »

now i know what to buy next :lol: