USB Lamps & Magnetic Goosenecks

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

USB Lamps & Magnetic Goosenecks

Post by dawman »

I bought a USB Male to Female 3 foot extension for a USB Gooseneck lamp that came w/ my laptop. It works but isn't a perfect solution for programming with a QWERTY at night as I had to tape it to the racks, etc.
But I was visiting some friends that are local stagehands and they have boxes of these 4 min 1 laser LED pens in every showroom because they use the laser to point out the wires in the dark while another unit can be used for the LED light on a gooseneck that is also very bright.
So I grabbed a few and the beauty of it is it has a very strong magnet on it's base and can be attached to any rack mounted equipment's faceplate.
You just twist the Gooseneck down towards your QWERTY and now you have a very focused bright LED. I have the PL+ w/ a 15" Gooseneck lamp connector for the inside of my racks and the tubular pull out lights, but since condensing my rig to a 16U I have it in the back of the racks w/ no lights in the front................drag.
These little magnetic pens are very cheap and very bright. Plus thay also have a long range laser great for lighting up exceptionally well proportioned dancers,.........ankyuvarymush.
They go for 20 units for 30 bucks on ebay.
One could sell 19 of them for 2 bucks apiece, or as in my case give 'em to the kids to torture the Dog with, and still have a dozen spares.
These are great powerful little lights, much brighter and better than those lame USB lights.
Neutron

Re: USB Lamps & Magnetic Goosenecks

Post by Neutron »

I bought some of those usb lamps they are really really crap.

"about as useful as a chocolate teapot"

first the "white" of most cheap white LEDs is not really white but 2 colors mixed to appear white. and there is hardly any light in the green wavelength where the human eye is most sensitive.

secondly the LEDs they used are weak.

there is a good LED magnetic lamp/flashlight made by dorcy. i find it great for temprarily sticking to stuff when i have to rewire under the desk or something.

http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414214
Last edited by Neutron on Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

stardust wrote:I have an usb fan for making noise and some airflow in hot summer nights
i have a USB missile launcher for co workers who annoy me :)
ChampionSound

Post by ChampionSound »

gosh, they even make USB cup warmers, to keep your coffee nice and hot during scoping :lol:

ChampionSound

Post by ChampionSound »

... or USB pencil sharpeners with lightshow during sharpening... :o

just unbelievable
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

an of course the new M-audio USB volume control
Attachments
usbham_alt1.gif
usbham_alt1.gif (15.44 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
dawman

Post by dawman »

I like that model cause I use rechargable AAA's and prefer that over the lithium stack in the magnetic pen.
Is the magnetic area on the backside of the unit or the base?

The M Audio rodent is great. :lol:
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

its on the base, and the light can be at the top or bottom of the "lampshade" thing there is 2 LEDs and 2 position of "on" turn on one or the other.
the flexible neck also retracts so you can use it as a flashlight.

another one i have which is good is the flexible one. you can put it around your neck when working behind a dark amplifier :D
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=411440

every time i go to "marks work warehouse" to buy clothes i see some cool flashlight at the checkout lol
dawman

Post by dawman »

I love this stuff too.
Glad I started this as now I have a better solution.
I didn't realize the lithium triple stacks drain their power so quickly.
My camera and other battery run gadgets all use my recahargables, this is perfect.
3 Lithiums last about 48 hours before showing dimmer lighting. They are 9 bucks for 6 of them. No way Jose.

I would still like a Hamster wheel though.
Thanks A Bunch.