XTC crashing on multicore machines-quick "fix".

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

maky325

XTC crashing on multicore machines-quick "fix".

Post by maky325 »

Ok so far we all know that XTC mode is crashing on hyperthreading, dual or quad machines etc8this forum is full of that issue). Hopefully they will fix it in Scope V5 as now is sure that future is bringing us more and more cpu cores. Anyway if you dont have option to "disable" cores to just one in your bios there is a quick workaround.

For example if you are using Cubase or FL Studio. Run your host in XTC. Then press CTRL+ALT+DEL. You will have task manager. Go to "Processes" tab. If you are running FL Studio you will have FL.exe now listed in process image name. If this is Cubase you will have Cubase.exe. Same is for any other host btw. Right mouse click on name and choose "Set Affinity..." and you will have Processor Affinity window open now. Here you have your cores listed in a way CPU 0, CPU 1, CPU 2 etc.. With marks in white boxes. Your goal is to diable all and leave just one core. If posiible just CPU 0(first). So you have your host running on just one core.

It is a CPU performance drawback and for some it can be critical but XTC will be stable after this. For example i have numerous crashes when i draw heavy automation lanes inside Cubase or FL Studio. After this "hack" everything is working STABLE. Scope obviously does have problems with multicore system (i have quad now) but V5 is close and i hope they will fix it. Though this "hack" will help to those who are still on Scope v 4.

Also one more drawback for this hack is that you have to do it all again when you run your host. There is some registry hacking where you put list of processes with configured affinity (so you dont have to do it all again and again and again) but i cant find it now. When i find it i will post it here. If someone already knew this then post it here.

Cheers...
MD69

Re: XTC crashing on multicore machines-quick "fix".

Post by MD69 »

Hi,

Have had XTC working on PIV hyperthreaded and currently, it work on my Quad core !?!

Anyway, if you want a single CPU, you can also activate a switch in your boot.ini file

cheers
maky325

Post by maky325 »

My is crashing all the way until i disable cores. FL Studio and Cubase, same thing. I doubt it is configuration/host issue since everything else is working flawless. Search a little on this forum you will found not small group of pwople reporting problems in hyperthreading/multicore systems. When i disable cores everything is normal. Same thing on machine with core duo. I knew for boot.ini but this way user can have OS booted with CPU cores available for other programs. Also STS 5000 is going to give you crackles in sound when you load one in project until all cores are disabled or STS 5000 is removed.
MD69

Post by MD69 »

You can execute
imagecfg -u hostapp.exe to set the app working on a single processor!

but really I would check the config ...

cheers
maky325

Post by maky325 »

MD69 wrote:You can execute
imagecfg -u hostapp.exe to set the app working on a single processor!

but really I would check the config ...

cheers
But i already said everything is working like a charm. I am using scope almost a year now without really any lock up or something. I can load it up almost to the red light without any PCI error or something similar. No problems whatsoever. Super stable IMO. Scope PRO+Pulsar II. 21 DSP. Last month i started with XTC experiment and i like it so far but this crash seems bug from scope side. Note that it is not crashing until i start to write automation to devices (start to control them). YOu can find really not so small group of people here with same problem. IE yesterday i saw thread where someone saying that XTC is stable until he/she start to tweak synth with midi controller (similar to my case).

For example what wold you do/check in my situation?
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Maybe try to "thin out" midi data.Its a option in cubase,and other daws aswell.
maky325

Post by maky325 »

Fluxpod wrote:Maybe try to "thin out" midi data.Its a option in cubase,and other daws aswell.
Ummm...what is "thin out" midi data? This is first time i hear for something like that. Where is that option in cubase?
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

yes! what is it and how do you do it?
maky325

Post by maky325 »

No guys i am not having any midi loops errors or whatever.
valis

Post by valis »

There's no 'easy' button for thinning midi data in Cubase. Unfortunately when using VST hosted DSP plugins, any 'vst' style automation that you do is actually going to be converted to midi data to send it to the plugin since the XTC plugins are just vst-wrapped Scope plugins. This means that a lot of vst automation = lots of midi information. Unfortunately when you draw vst-automation for something like a fade, how that's converted to midi automation is up to the plugin wrapper or the host itself. Certainly it would have to be quantized to fit a midi datastream.

So the only solutions would be to find ways to use regular midi to address the XTC plugins (I know nothing about XTC usage in Cubase) or cut down on the amount of automation used in general.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

I have the same problem, as stated earlier, and it is solved by only having one thing plugged into the on board USB port, and NOT running Windows media player while i have cubase, xtc mdoe opened. If i open Media player , cubase crashes...

No need to disable cores if you get a usb port and hook up your usb stuff via that, instead of the onboard usb, i think ( not tested though)
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Just as you can for recording or programming midi notes in Cubase, you can also set a quantize variable for recording or programming other midi data streams. It's the same parameter, just applied to whatever you're recording or programming & it's been that way for years (like since before sx).

Mark