Creative Click Tracks

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Creative Click Tracks

Post by dawman »

Since I programmed all of the sequenced tracks years ago when the QX-1 was still in Osaka, I have learned a few tricks. But now that audio click tracks can be made and customized I thought I'd share a tip for anyone who wants to use ritardandos live and more effectively.

I'm working w/ my Bassist for a few days and years ago we played together but the drummer was the only person who got the click track in his ear. Even though I programmed the ritardandos perfectly w/ percentages it is difficult to play with at times.

I use a stereo output from VDAT that has a sidestick recorded so that each player can get the amount he desires in his ear monitor and those signals are not in the mains. During a ritardando on a hardware sequencer, or even Cubase, you cannot add subdivisions on the fly, but if you recorded a sidestick as your click, then went to a higher subdivision during a ritardando, you are basically adding more " clicks ", as in 8th notes, turning into 16th's, etc.

When the meter starts slowing down simply having all 8th notes makes it difficult since there are larger and larger spaces in between the sidestick sound. So by going to 16th note subdivisions, and even 32nd note divisions, one can feel the ritardando much easier, and by bringing the volume of it down slightly with every measure it works really well.

If the bassist is standing next to the guitarist and the click in the ear closest to the guitarist is lacking in volume, I can pan it, or add more volume to the closest ear as it is in stereo.

Well I am probably the only guy here who has to create work arounds like this, but it does work very well, and the bassist is the guy who thought about it, I just knew how to do it in Scope from messing w/ this stuff for the last few years.

It's important that the bass player gets tight w/ the pre recorded drums. They will be the heart of the sound I am striving for. We actually sounded great as a trio tonight. 5 more days of this should be lots of fun.