Wolf's MIDI TOOL BOX 4Live

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Wolf's MIDI TOOL BOX 4Live

Post by dawman »

This is a seriously valuable " Old Module Suite", but it's an incredible value, and quite essentail for the few, the brave,..........the Live Scopers, that still remain amongst us.

I hate live MIDI stuck notes, and eliminate them w/ extreme prejudice with Wolf's Panic Buttons. One can name the module appropraiately like " Clavinet ", etc., and also click on the red AUTO button. You will hear a slight sustain if a stuck note occurs while the pipes get cleaned. This works flawlessly, but as a precaution, and for the sake of redundancy have your VST host like Cubase 4.0, Forte, or Bidule provide a Panic Button in hardware via sustain switch. Actually I prefer my MIDISoltutions FP8 1U rack. It provides 8 pedals to be freely assigned to any controller you desire. Hmmm....maybe I could use my Ribbon controller to do that in case both hands are busy, and close to it's location. At the end of the day, there are endless possibilities, thanks to Scope.

His MIDI Program Changer is also a great module to have with ASIO 2 & GSIF drivers. This combined w/ Sur Audio's PRJ Preset List Module is a valuable tool for live or studio work.
Last edited by dawman on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrancisHarmany

Re: Wolf's MIDI TOOL BOX 4Live

Post by FrancisHarmany »

that is some chain of devices you have there :)

is there a reason why you did this way of routing, instead of merging all the outputs together ?
Me$$iah

Post by Me$$iah »

Im guessing its due to the huge amount of different MIDI Data Jimmy has to control, and all through the single MIDI port of the forthcoming XITE.

Looks like a sweet solution, and Im gonna further guess, it'll be tested to breaking point, and we will all learn some great tricks.

Result!

:D
dawman

Post by dawman »

Each Panic Button represents it's own instrunent and channel. It looks like a wise choice actually as Gigastudio 4 will be used only to create custom instruments. It hasn't been a stable VST host enough for me to warrant it's use live and Bidule is the best one yet.

Cubase 4 is unstable as a live host, and Forte is problematic w/ latency issues.

These are perfect for live though as they automatically clear the pipes when the red auto button is used. ( below jpeg. )

As a back-up I have a hardware panic button on my MX-8 MIDI Patchbay, and also on a pedal switch via the MIDI Solutions FP8. They bare an uneeded luxury as Wolf's button always terminate them, but when mixing hardware w/ this DAW, these panic buttons from Wolf won't stop a hardware MIDI Stuck Note, hence the MX-8 Patachbay.

Thanks Again Brotha' Man Valis, as a suggestion from you has turned into my live savior. :wink:
valis

Post by valis »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Thanks Again Brotha' Man Valis, as a suggestion from you has turned into my live savior. :wink:
If you're thanking me for bidule cool, but definately go thank them! Also if you haven't already, check out some of the user submitted custom bidules from their forums to check things out like midi processing to your live midi input. With only a few stock bidules you can do processing that goes far beyond boring old static arpeggiation. Sadly I'm a guitar player who owns keyboards now, so I'm sure I couldn't do them the justice you could!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Live sequencing via triggered note on / note off. :D

I even have a matching skins custom made to look like CWare's stock project window module connectors. XITE-1 will get the same match made too.
valis

Post by valis »

Looks like you got the hang of it :wink: