Manage External hardware or software devices in Scope

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

at0m

Manage External hardware or software devices in Scope

Post by at0m »

The External devices are way underestimated IMO, and I often see people struggling with issues that can easily be resolved using these nifty little tools. So here's my final post on them eh.
  • Load an External Effect from Devices>Effects>M/S>External Effect.
  • Open it, and select an available ASIO input and output, for example to an input channel of your sequencer which throughputs to an ASIO source.
  • Save the external effect with a new name on another location, for example in the project folder or in the Devices>Effects>M/S folder.
  • Load the newly saved external effect anywhere you want now: in an insert slot of mixer/synth/modular, in straight the project. Why not as an Aux effect on the main mixer? :)
Beware, this adds double ASIO latency to the effect, as the audio signal will be routed off Scope, to SX and back: Scope > ASIO > vst effect > ASIO > Scope. This may be ok for a delay, but it could suck on a chorus as Aux Send, for example.

The same can be done for hardware IO and effects - without extra latency since that doesn't use ASIO. I always save a special External Source for hardware synths, External Dest for my main mix etcetera. These I save in the Devices>Effects>M/S folder: when I later have the stuff connected to other hardware IO, I just edit the External device and re-save it. As a consequence, all old projects are suddenly compatible with the new hardware connections, without having to reconnect every single one of them throughout the project.

For more info on the External Effect, read the Scope documentation!
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
cannonball

Re: Manage External hardware or software devices in Scope

Post by cannonball »

hi
would be cool if scope platform or the mixer 2448 could be host vst protocol interface like cubase or better protools tdm,
without having to occupy multiple asio in out :)
alessandro
at0m

Post by at0m »

How would they communicate? Using subspace or hypergates? I will call CERN to expedite!

No, seriously, as much as I'd appreciate the other option, ASIO is currently (and probably will be for some time to come) the fastest possible connection from Scope to anything CPU based or on 3rd party DSP... That's why I and other pulsarians I've worked with, never use this option. It's so not cool to send audio excessively back and forth between ASIO host and client.

But people here keep asking about it, and I keep telling them the same thing. So I thought I'd give the subject its own topic, my last proverbial words on this issue.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

+1

*bump*

etc...

I promise I will finally start doing this :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

It appears as though Bidule could insert my choice of VST effect in this method.

I usually use these for hardware effects but it seems as though I could use a VST effect I am reading on that can be used for an option to PsyQ.