Turn off selective suspend feature of USB

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Neutron

Turn off selective suspend feature of USB

Post by Neutron »

The access virus TI installer has a part where it points out that i have "usb selective suspend" turned on and would i like to turn it off. so i did.

It turns off various usb devices when they are inactive. and also causes scope to crash if i haven't used it for a few hours. and odd behaviour from MIDI USB devices.

I would add this to the list of tweaks for any windows DAW.

you can disable the selective suspend feature of USB. To do this, you must modify the following registry entry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\USB
Entry: DisableSelectiveSuspend
Type: DWORD
Value: 1 disables selective suspend. 0 enables selective suspend

This file is just a registry key so you can do all that automatically.
unzip. just double click the file inside there and it is done.
Attachments
disableselectivesuspend.zip
(330 Bytes) Downloaded 8280 times
Last edited by Neutron on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

nice one!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Definately !!

I often have to crash Scope just to use my external DVD writer. If I boot up XP w/ it plugged in, it won't boot, and when I do insert it Scope crashes.

I will try this, but it sounds like exactly what I need.

Thanks Brotha' Man.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

I just PMed John and asked to have this moved to "Tips and Tricks". :)
RP_001

Post by RP_001 »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:
I often have to crash Scope just to use my external DVD writer. If I boot up XP w/ it plugged in, it won't boot, and when I do insert it Scope crashes.
I had the same problem for a very long time, with my external HD's plugged in the USB ports. I think i solved it by turning off some unused USB ports in the BIOS (and not using the external HD's again..). My Minimax ASB nevers caused any problems using the USB port though....

If booting XP with a external DVD writer doesnt work, you might change the "boot priority" settings in the BIOS, because many times plugging in something on the USB ports screwed my BIOS settings (i.e switching the first boot device to floppy drive etc). You might also use the same USB port for the DVD writer everytime you plug it in...

I will definately consider this when any problems occur again... Thanks!!
dawman

Post by dawman »

I have the boot priority for the C Drive, w/ the 3GB PAE Switch on / off as an option at boot up.

But this trick will allow me to use the external USB DVD in the same port as my removable 4 and 8 GB flash sticks w/o causing a crash.

I have a dongle key that MUST use a certain port also, which I found strange, but none the less true. I have all of my eLicenses on one for safety's sake.

XP64 / Vista might change things here soon as well.
valis

Post by valis »

Your dongle is probably associating the licenses with that specific usb port, as windows associates the drivers for a device with the port you plug it into. Plugging the same device into a different port is "seen" by windows as a totally new device, requiring fresh drivers to be associated with it (and possibly breaking whatever registration you have for your usb dongle).

This is why midi interfaces & controllers clutter the registry so much when people aren't paying attention to where they plug them in. It's also a source of confusion for many of the amateur musicians I know, who just plug their keyboard controller into any old usb port and then get frustrated that when they open a tune they have been working on previously the midi mappings aren't assigned anymore (windows 'sees' their controller as a new device and hence the old mappings don't take).

In any case, the topic parent's tip is a nice one. I'd be cautious about using it on a laptop though as it might affect battery life with several devices in use.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

how do i add this to the registry?
thanks alot!
dawman

Re: Turn off selective suspend feature of USB

Post by dawman »

Well I did this trick and added a USB Hub for 9.99 USD and it works great now, thanks.

I can boot up w/ the DVD, and USB powered keyboards remain on even when the DAW shuts down, thanks to the external power it came with.

Also. Not one stuck MIDI since I got this hooked up. Before I was getting occasional stuck notes especially when sustaining sounds and changing presets, but even then I had soft and hard solutions automated to fix that, but they haven't been used all week.

This is a great Scope week again.

Now if I could only get the XITE-1 deliverd before I go to vacation.
greenbluegold

Post by greenbluegold »

Adding the DisableSelectiveSuspend key to my registry was necessary in order to get Ableton 7 and a MOTU microlite usb midi device to operate together without crashing.
gustav

Post by gustav »

Hello
I have some playback trouble on cubase when moving the mous.
So I want to try this tweak but I do not have this entry : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\USB
Should I create this one ?
Bye - Gustav

--------- Oh I found the answer in an other post - I will create it ... - Thanks
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

i dont seem to understand:) how do i do this tweak??
thanks! :)
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

Here is a registry key for you. unzip and double click. (XP, i dont know about fista)

re uploaded without the (harmless but) unnecessary key.
Attachments
disableselectivesuspend.zip
(330 Bytes) Downloaded 278 times
Last edited by Neutron on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fede

Post by Fede »

The file contains also another setting:

USBBIOSx = 0

Is it necessary?

cheers
Fede
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

As long as its 0 its fine. it is apparently reserved for future use.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

thanks alot!! :)
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

I updated the reg file and its on the first post.
Dstruct

Post by Dstruct »

Neutron wrote:It turns off various usb devices when they are inactive. and also causes scope to crash if i haven't used it for a few hours. and odd behaviour from MIDI USB devices.
IMO that's odd behaviour of the Scope software. Can't they fix such things? Is their support really that bad. Last week this stupid thing just crashed while assigning a dvd drive a new drive letter (ide) under Windows XP.
valis

Post by valis »

Dstruct wrote:
Neutron wrote:It turns off various usb devices when they are inactive. and also causes scope to crash if i haven't used it for a few hours. and odd behaviour from MIDI USB devices.
IMO that's odd behaviour of the Scope software. Can't they fix such things? Is their support really that bad. Last week this stupid thing just crashed while assigning a dvd drive a new drive letter (ide) under Windows XP.
That's a different issue, Scope's samplers can load AKAI cd's from your optical drive and hence have them mapped via ASPI. Close Scope before remapping a drive next time :)

Also an easier way to disable Control Panel > Sounds & Audio Devices > Hardware then select one of your cards (perhaps your primary card) from the list of devices and click the "Properties" button below (or just double click the device). Go to the "Settings" tab and uncheck "Reset board if idle". It's just below the "Allow standby" setting in Powermanagement.
Dstruct

Post by Dstruct »

valis wrote:That's a different issue, Scope's samplers can load AKAI cd's from your optical drive and hence have them mapped via ASPI. Close Scope before remapping a drive next time :)
That's no reason to crash. Especially not if there are no samplers or samples loaded anywhere in Scope.

valis wrote:Go to the "Settings" tab and uncheck "Reset board if idle".
What is it good for?