Turn off selective suspend feature of USB

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

valis

Re: Turn off selective suspend feature of USB

Post by valis »

Dstruct wrote:
Neutron wrote:It turns off various usb devices when they are inactive. and also causes scope to crash if i haven't used it for a few hours. and odd behaviour from MIDI USB devices.
IMO that's odd behaviour of the Scope software. Can't they fix such things? Is their support really that bad. Last week this stupid thing just crashed while assigning a dvd drive a new drive letter (ide) under Windows XP.
That's a different issue, Scope's samplers can load AKAI cd's from your optical drive and hence have them mapped via ASPI. Close Scope before remapping a drive next time :)

Also an easier way to disable Control Panel > Sounds & Audio Devices > Hardware then select one of your cards (perhaps your primary card) from the list of devices and click the "Properties" button below (or just double click the device). Go to the "Settings" tab and uncheck "Reset board if idle". It's just below the "Allow standby" setting in Powermanagement.
Dstruct

Post by Dstruct »

valis wrote:That's a different issue, Scope's samplers can load AKAI cd's from your optical drive and hence have them mapped via ASPI. Close Scope before remapping a drive next time :)
That's no reason to crash. Especially not if there are no samplers or samples loaded anywhere in Scope.

valis wrote:Go to the "Settings" tab and uncheck "Reset board if idle".
What is it good for?
valis

Post by valis »

That setting *may* help people who have issues with Scope crashing when it's been idle for some hours or overnight....or it may not. I've had different results on different systems (probably depending on what power saving mode Windows is in.)

As for ASPI crashing Scope, that's a bit like having an ASIO output yanked out from under Cubase or Sonar and watching them crash. You can't blame that one on Scope, blame the ASPI layer instead. Or the user for doing something that upset ASPI. :lol: However since you're aware of it, it's probably best to just be mindful of the effects and steer around it...
Dstruct

Post by Dstruct »

valis wrote:That setting *may* help people who have issues with Scope crashing when it's been idle for some hours or overnight....or it may not. I've had different results on different systems (probably depending on what power saving mode Windows is in.)

As for ASPI crashing Scope, that's a bit like having an ASIO output yanked out from under Cubase or Sonar and watching them crash. You can't blame that one on Scope, blame the ASPI layer instead. Or the user for doing something that upset ASPI. :lol: However since you're aware of it, it's probably best to just be mindful of the effects and steer around it...
I'm pretty sure we don't have ASPI installed at all. You mean an empty Scope project needs to crash because I changed the driver letter of a DVD-ROM drive?
valis

Post by valis »

Honestly I have no idea what Scope is using for optical drive support these days, but the main point is to make sure the Filebrowser is closed if you're mucking about with stuff. I don't recall any ASPI discussion in the STS forum for the last few years, it's possible that CW/SC followed the rest of the industry and implemented SPTI instead (which was Xp's standard) but I haven't seen anyone mention it.

BUT, I could phrase this line-of-thought a different way:
Patient: "It hurts when I do this Doc, what do I do?!"
Doctor: "Don't do that!"
at0m

Post by at0m »

Dstruct wrote:You mean an empty Scope project needs to crash because I changed the driver letter of a DVD-ROM drive?
If Scope is running, it will probably crash.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

:lol: :lol:
If scope is running it will probably crash!
:lol: :lol:
Dstruct

Post by Dstruct »

at0m wrote:If Scope is running, it will probably crash.
I can confirm this from my experiences :lol:

Solution: Don't use Scope at all 8)
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

Dstruct wrote:
at0m wrote:If Scope is running, it will probably crash.
I can confirm this from my experiences :lol:

Solution: Don't use Scope at all 8)

thats right, at least if you spend your days changing drive letters. I'd rather light a candle than curse the dark.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

try doing that while you are playing a game and see what happens :D