Start Up Project Optimisation

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Start Up Project Optimisation

Post by dawman »

Recently I have been doing really heavy synth projects that have 3 modules in the entire project window.

MIDI A Source and Destination. Then a giant synth like Multi-Synth or Solaris with really high polyphony.

This takes a little longer to load on start up, and the first couple of times it's loaded it asks to be optimised while starting up.

But once it is saved twice it seems to open up Scope's " Nasal Passages " or something.

I am able to push the DSP meter all of the way up using 45 DSP's and it goes all the way to 95% + . :o

Looks like I learned this a little too late, :( but this seems to kick the DSP's in the ass a little as I can load more content than ever before.

Try this and tell me if it works better for you.

I have had the best luck using Solaris 5.8 ( newest BETA release since 5.6 ) and it has over 900 parameters, and using 12 voices of polyphony on a dual wavetable oscillator preset with dual filters and dual envelopes. It seems to work well.

Multi-Synth is also a great synth to punish the DSP's with also if you don't have Solaris.

To Us, And Those Like Us.
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

Some of us (me too) have made the experience that it could cause propplemmms when you save a heavy synth project with many voices. A solution is to save the project with only 0 or 1 voice per synth and when you open this project again, you can raise up the polyphony.
BTW, after reinstalling my DAW from scratch my STS-samplers didn't cause any crash! Dunno why, but it's great! :)
Happy scoping, Thomas
dawman

Post by dawman »

I was going it that way forever, and it worked well, but never could up to 96% + until I tried it like this.
johndunn

Post by johndunn »

This works for me too. I found out, not the hard way, more like the dumb way. I told it to save by mistake after having to optimize the load a couple times. I was upset because it was a new patch, not yet backed up, and I thought I ruined it. But after that it loaded without problems. So now I save after the optimizations routinely, and *most* of the time it works.
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

You're right, Jimmy, sometimes the message "try global optimization" disappears and you can load the project normally. Seems, it needs to load 5 or 10 times to optimize in a certain way that the project is finally spread on the right dsps.
Only a thought. :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

the order that devices are loaded to the dsps can make a big difference in whether or not the project will load. big devices split across multiple dsps won't run if little bits are loaded across too many chips or if the chips are too far apart. "optimisation" shuffles the way that the dsps are loaded, until an order that works well comes up.

this situation is the cost of flexible, dynamic dsp loading, which allows the maximum use of the chips. Pro Tools solves this problem by NOT loading for optimum chip usage. with PTHD, if there are partial dsps left over, but none is enough space for a device, it won't load at all, you'll have to buy an expansion to be able to do the project in mind. with Scope, the system will attempt to juggle the dsp load to find a way to make things fit(assuming that there is leftover space).
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well I have managed to get QWave up and running now with this new discovered unorthodox type of project.

I have been using Source / Destination modules only, and giant synth plugs.

This is using Qwave w/ 4 part Multi-timbrality, which allows 8 Oscillators. Very similar to SpaceF's MS WK4-MKII, but architechtually different.

It's great to have 2 x 4 part synths from JBowen and SpaceF. Since their Oscillators are complimentary to each other, these 2 synths are going to play an important role in my upcoming rig.

The project below is an awesome sounding preset / performance using 6 x Waldorf Wave style Oscillators, SpaceF's MicroScope Oscillator which is a triple waveform w/ separate detunings, and JB's RDII Modules SuperSaw, which has many waveforms in a single shell also.

This is an amazing amount of power, but the 9th voice, which isn't necessary, jumps over the DSP meter threshold no matter how many times I re-load the optimisatiom window.

But my start-up trick works well. Notice the way that Creamware / SonicCore's DSP Meter spreads out the power over many chips very equally. I would love to see ProTools meter and compare the difference in terms of actual optimisation. :lol:

This synth is a major piece of weaponry. I compare it to Swedens new incredible Howitzer called the " Archer ". It shoots 9 rounds at different altitudes and times their landing simultaneously on the selected target within 3 meters. :o

This Dog Will Hunt !!