O.S. + Apps HDD

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

O.S. + Apps HDD

Post by dawman »

For those who wish to store VDAT or mp3's on their under used O.S. drive.

I always heard how using the C drive was not a good idea for anything other than apps.,etc. was taboo.

I beg to differ though.

I have a 36GB Raptor that was abused for a couple years as a Gigastudio drive, then retired to be an O.S. where all good HDD's desrve their final days.

But I decided to keep my content drives free of wav. and mp3's and actually forgot where the vtp. and mp3's were being sent.

I noticed when adding GS4 where everything was going to for vtp. Cubase and Reaper, and I have approximately 9 to 10 GB's ( 34% ) of my O.S. drive stuffed with these audio files and they work fine.

This has now changed my sttitude of storage options.

Maybe the 8MB cache and 10k spindle speed helps, I don't know, but I do know that tyhis works fine for me, and I will start using larger drives in my next upgrade this winter.

I dream of my new SATA II RAID Cage packed w/ 4 x IcyDocks and 4 x WD VelociRaptrors.

By the time these bablies get aged and approach the end of their 5 year warranty, we should see large, cheap SSD's being used for DAW's.

Supposedly SSD's are optimised for multithreaded use, where as mechanical HDD's seemed to have hit their limit of technology.

http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sata_cages_en ... 455spf.asp

Imagine the smooth results of spreading content across 5 x HDD's using streaming audio files.
dawman

Re: O.S. + Apps HDD

Post by dawman »

Ankyu....... :)