Multi FX Inserted In An AUX

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Multi FX Inserted In An AUX

Post by dawman »

I am sure many already know this, but this effect really helps when mastering for quick results.

I was trying to add 2 different FX to a snare drum for a short passage, and when playing the VDAT recording back through the mixer I was trying to add the SSB Modulator and Celmo's Phaza simultaneously but the effects were difficult to engage / disengage when using 2 insert slots.

After pulling my hair out and even trying the stacking abilities of the AUX's in an FP106B I tried the Multi FX device, and adjusted the levels so there would be a slight increase in volume also,.....perfect.

This allowed me to highlight the drum excerpt perfectly, with the desired effects, and volume using a simple off / on button.

I can't express the amount of joy I am having mastering and mixing in this virtual world of Scope.

I have just started dumping down 24 track Otari tapes and re-mastering them in Scope. What's really sweet about this is I can use the tracks to merge w/ newly recorded VDAT tracks and add FX to my Oberheims that I never could have done before. The warmth and roundness of Tape in a Scope DSP enviroment is so pretty.

SpaceF's LimFat is perfect for these FAT BASTARDS as their volumes between patches can get out of hand.

Going w/o Scope cards would be the worst punishment I could ever imagine.

I actually wake up daily and run to my DAW, the whole time trying to control my bladder as that is now the second chore in my list of multitasking upon awakening. Even the coffee can wait as my 3GB PAE switch requires extra time to boot.

Scope has definately changed my life.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Your Scope has definitely changed all OUR lives too, Jimmy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re your multiFX thingy - I like to create a small modular device with the effects in and shove the sound through there. Good for adding boosters etc if required.
RP_001

Post by RP_001 »

:D
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

yeah I've kind of 'discovered" the multi fx as well.
My standard mixer in Scope is the STM 1632 cause it's relatively straightforward but offers enough channels to mix like 10 ASIO stereo channels, some Scope synths and my Nord Rack.
The downside is that it only has two inserts per channel and no built in eq, so I always ended up running out of inserts very quickly.
So what I've done now is make a default project that has a STM 1632 with multi fx's loaded in all the channels' first insert slot and a 4 band Timeworks vintage EQ in each of those multi fx's. As standard everything is deactivated so it doesn't even take any DSP power until I actually need it.
It does mean it takes a couple more mouseclicks to get to the effects but I've also made sure that (as long as I don't move the mixer) all the multi fx open at the correct position, next to the channels they're loaded in.
Another pro of this setup is that you can easily set up an fx chain for a channel, and enable or disable each effect seperately or the whole chain at once without having to open the individual fx.
Last edited by King of Snake on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Now that is a good technique.
Memo to myself - "try this!"

Thanks for the idea KoS
dawman

Post by dawman »

Indeed, a very good trick, even though we had to pry it out of KoS.