Sticking up foam!

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Neutron

Sticking up foam!

Post by Neutron »

Say you have some auralex or cheap imitation foam you want to stick up on the wall. (cheap imitation foam from ebay is only %75 as good but costs 50% as much :) ) it makes the room sound better, and its a tiny room so it needs the help.

anyways i just painted that room so i was trying to think what kind of glue to use that would not completely ruin the wall. the stuff the foam co sells is too strong, apparently it can be so bad that you have to scrape it off. why..foam is very light?

anyways i can not take credit for this idea, i found it on "unofficial access virus TI forum"

Silicone caulk!
yes it does actually work. and you can just rub it off if you decide to move a tile or take it all down because you move or sell your house or whatnot.
I even used it to put up the relatively "heavy" corner absorbers and it worked fine.

by the way the cheap imitation foam does not look all sparkly like that, its something to do with the camera flash.
Attachments
foamup.jpg
foamup.jpg (56.27 KiB) Viewed 3371 times
nightscope

Re: Sticking up foam!

Post by nightscope »

Hi bomb,
Neutron wrote:what kind of glue to use that would not completely ruin the wall.
Double sided tape, velcro thingies, tack 'em up.

Or attach them to a strip of wood or frame and hang 'em up.

I got a pack last week. Not up yet. Glue is not an option.

I will check out the Silicone caulk! Whatever it may be.

ns
valis

Post by valis »

Personally I just use a staplegun. I've got panels up now that have had 3 previous homes. Silicone caulk isn't a bad idea either though.
katano

Post by katano »

my number one source for studio design and construction:
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

cheers
roman
Lima

Post by Lima »

Great forum! Thanks Roman for the heads up! :-)
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

thats a great site, thanks!
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Auralex makes special clips that are designed for temporary hanging and removal. You can also glue the foam to wood panels which can be hung or suspended from the walls. I agree glue is a messy permanent solution.
MCCY

Post by MCCY »

Or attach them to a strip of wood or frame and hang 'em up.
Yeah, that's what I did too. I once left them in a room for 2 years directly on the wall & when I removed them the wall had suffered from wet !!!!
Since then I allways stick them to woodsticks so that some air is behind them to let the wall breathe!

Martin
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Some very quick drawings I did a couple of years back to show possible wall & ceiling mounting techniques using split batons.

There's variations that could work well with those techniques such as using stand-offs to keep your wall or ceiling mounts a certain distance out. Those could be just the thickness of the material you're using for brackets, so say 18 or 25mm.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

You could improve the design of those split baton hanging brackets by placing small pieces of neoprene or some type of thin foam between the brackets & the wall or ceiling. That would provide some damping of any unwanted vibrations the construction might create. :wink: