How to automate SFP mixer with cubase

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

burdello

How to automate SFP mixer with cubase

Post by burdello »

I simply create midi tracks in cubase.
Than for every track I assign a midi plugin named "midi transformer" which change the Velocity CC to another specific CC.
In SFP I assign specific CCs to specific faders.
I enable automations for midi tracks, than I move faders with Mackie control.
But I have some difficulties with Midi channels...
I'll back soon
bye
hubird

Post by hubird »

thanks for the tip...
burdello

Post by burdello »

stardust wrote:hmm, I try this one. What is the difference to directly choosing the CC in the Midi automation lane ?
You simply see a "mixer" in Cubase (is more quickly to see the faders movements working in cubase) and is more quickly to access with control surface like Mackie control.
PS: I use SFP mixer and effects as Busses and Cubase's mixer as channel mixer.
moxi

Post by moxi »

But I have some difficulties with Midi channels
you got something called "midi transformer" or similar name in the track inspector of cubase, this tool let you remap any cc or do a lot of pmanipulation on midi data (filtering, etc...)

if you own the mackie stuff I highly recommend you to test the new Wolf mixer in SFP...

route your mackie MIDI datas to the wolf mixer AND to your cubase MIDI in, so you will be able to record automation (i.e. with creating fake tracks in cubase (with no data inside - that should work at least for vol and pan ) then arming recording of automation for this track in cubaz mixer...

or creating normal MIDI tracks and arming the record button of transport bar, as you do...

since cubase will send back automation datas to your mackie when playing (usually to make your faders moving or to update LEDs states), as soon as you want to play your recorded automation datas, you just have to ensure that the MIDI input of the wolf mixer is loaded by the cubase MIDI out instead of the Mackie MIDI out ..

you will benefit of the higher resolution for level fader (mackie protocol use pitchbend message, as I remember it's on 10bit instead of 7bit of normal MIDI CCs) : smoother fades...

for cubase mixer automation recording , this trick should work fine but you just won't be able to use the 'Touch Fader' , "autolatch" and "overwrite" modes of automation in cubase..if you prefer (it's what i do) classic MIDI track, simply use some merger in SFP , just take care about MIDI loops...

That make me think that an automation recorder would be a nice add. feature to this Wolf Mixer ...I hope Wolf will read this ... :roll:
wolf

Post by wolf »

That make me think that an automation recorder would be a nice add. feature to this Wolf Mixer ...I hope Wolf will read this ...
Here I am :)
Unfortunately scope lacks any kind of midi recording possibilites.
The only "workaround" I could see here is to use VDAT for recording the control signals. As we aren't speaking about max. 8 controls but far over 300 you'd need the according amount of decks (and lots of space on your disk :D ).
moxi

Post by moxi »

:cry:

I suppose that should be possible to do something like that with the differnet midi tools you or other propose for scope .

So it have just to do some compare/and filter routine

the thing is to compare datas from cubase and those from the Mackie hardware, before merging (maybe the or, and nor gates modules in modular will do that, never tried to load them with midi datas?), then filter datas from cubase automation when the same one come from the mackie. creating a second MIDI track or fantom take in the seq to record the second (or third...etc) modified automation will then allow undos, and could be more helpfull than overdub recording (or replace mode)..

I will try that tonight... :)
lovenara

Re: How to automate SFP mixer with cubase

Post by lovenara »

burdello wrote:I simply create midi tracks in cubase.
Than for every track I assign a midi plugin named "midi transformer" which change the Velocity CC to another specific CC.
In SFP I assign specific CCs to specific faders.
But I have some difficulties with Midi channels...
I'll back soon
bye
you assign midi plugin to audio channel?
i never thought it possible
will try
thn
moxi

Post by moxi »

Hi,

for the use of standart stm mixer and Mackie Control, I've created a little VSTi that don't output any sound, but only MIDI data.

I've played wiith it with success :

I create a midi track, load my VSTi in the VSTi rack, then select my VSTi as MIDI INPUT" for this MIDI track, and the pulsar midi out as output.

In the cubase pref, in "midi" tab, I check the case "MIDI recorded datas goes to automation only", to prevent cubase to put my knob mouvment into the MIDI track itself. This is to keep the benefit of the different mode of writing automation (autolatch..) and to prevent midi loops if I tweak parameter directly onto the sfp mixer.

what is great is that: parameter in the vsti are named as the corresponding param in sfp mixer, so when you click the instrument edit on your mackie, you see on the lcd the names of the parameters :-)
and you will be abble to edit your sfp parameter from knobs inside cubase too.
the limitation is that the "read" + "write" mode (writing from the MCu or mixer, reading recorded automation), will be only possible using a Plogue Bidule patch I've done beside (Bidule will be running in the same time, the demo version I have don't get the vst version, so I can not define if it will possible to use this patch inside cubase)
but if you 're sure you won't never tweak a parameter that is already recorded in cubase, you won't need the bidule thing.
the other great thing is that you will be abble to use your MCU as usual for cubase edit/parameter tweak control...

there is other config step in sfp I will explain later (some midi routing devices to swith to bidule input/ouput in R+W mode), this post is just to ask you, as we are limited to 128 parameter, wich one you want to see in the final release of this VSTi, for the stm2448. (will work so for the smaller mixer)

a workaround about the midi channels limitation would be to use more than one sfp mixer (eg one only for the volume and insert) and a second in serial connection (using the direct out) for the aux and master section. (if you split "parallel" we will loose phase comp)

?

that will work for the WOLF mixer too, but you will lose the possibility to drive the aux with pitch bend. but as Wolf mixer support midi multichannel and get high res PB for volume, I recommend you this one, a dedicated vsti will be done too (for the will my vsti is a channnel strip of the wolf mixer,)

so..let me know
if you want the vsti for a particular plug,let me know too, as the patching is done, it's just about renaming parameters inside the vsti.

I forgot: SynthEdit sound really well when you use it only for midi datas ;-)...
moxi

Post by moxi »

ok,

i've found a way to use the read/write mode without add. bidule patch,
the only limitation is that the add. writing/overwritting have to be done only from the mcu...
moxi

Post by moxi »

finished...ouch!
so:

limitations:
-edition only possible from the external controler when automation in read or read+write mode (you can't tweak param. directly on the sfp device in this modes, or you can but cubase auto won't be updated)
-in "write" only mode, you can edit the param from the sfp mixer or/and the external controler (tat make me think I can add a little swith in sfp project to arm the write mode from here..)
-you need to own the modular to run a little patch that drive the midi routing switch
-the "read" and "write" butons have to be enabled only from the external controler if you one is used - but I will try to solve that -(if it's not a mackie you have to use the same assignment), if no controler is installed, you must set cub as if a Makie control was installed.

the goodies:
-thanks to the little VSTi, all param. name are forwarded to the mackie LCD
-it's a little apps somewhere that emulate mackie LCD, so use it if you don't own a MCu, to monitor your scope param without switching to the scope app..

I will give the synthedit source too so anyone will be able to edit the vsti param. names to correspond to another sfp devices.

I will finish MIDI assigment and improve the vsti interface device tonight, then give you the link to the project and so..

--> if some dev want to transforme the modular patch into a standalone device, that would be great, so anyone will be abble to use this...it's just a patch that convert midi note into cc..

see you tonight.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

this sounds really good! I dont use sfp mode but xtc mode because of the lack of automation, but this could be changed with your app!
let me know when it's done. And it would be great to have a walkthrough here, with some screenshots, casue its still not clear to me how to do this.
thanks alot!
i own the bcf2000-so thank you!
AndreD

Post by AndreD »

..here comes an old one (again) ;-)

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... upid+mixer

best,
Andre
moxi

Post by moxi »

aargh! I didn't think that you can use more than one remote at the same time for the same parameter: the generic remote hint solve all borring remapping/switching inside sfp and no more need to track the fader bank change with my vst...(my thing was using the midi feedback to the mackie to handel the mute/solo : how to do thing complicate where you do simplest..!!

mackie and generic remote coexist well in fact, so my vst is useless for the mixer, i will just post here the synthedit project in case someone want to do one vsti for another plugging or synth (just to allow to use the mackie to tweak parameter and display theirs names..)

now i will try to find another useless complicate thing to do...maybe I will read the chinese version of cubase manual

:roll:
moxi

Post by moxi »

hi,

here is a ZIP with a little howto to do your own control surface VSTi, to control your sfp devices from your host, or from your mackie control, with the parameter name displayed on it.

http://www.soundandbreakfast.org/divers/VSTI%20CS.rar

create a midi track, and choose your VSTi as input, the creamware midi out where is connected your device as output
set your knob in sfp device in learn mode, then tweak the vst knob you want to link to..

the one in my example is for the wolf mixer, tested fine with the demo. (pan (relative) , mute and solo (linkek to the ones of cubaz) and volume are handled by a bidule patch, but in fact it's impossible to automate a lot of track with pitchbend, that make scope crashing or freezing with various "midi buffer" message.

if you use the hint given in the AndreD post above (using audio track with send set pre), it's possible to save your synthedit project as VST effect, so you can access the CS with the insert page of your mackie on the corresponding track.but in this case too, you will need a miditrack to reroute the output of the vst.

but I suppose that SC will do something similar in SCP5, that could be a good compromise between sfp and xtc mode...maybe something using the "studio manager" thing that exist for yamaha device (the sdk is available to port other device).