How to sidechain with cubase SX 3

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

MD69

How to sidechain with cubase SX 3

Post by MD69 »

Hi all

If you want to sidechain with Cubase SX do this:
- create a bus with 4 channel (use the more entry in the dropdown list and select quadro)
- In your VSTconnection, select the bus and create 2 sub childs (stereo and stereo (LS,Rs)
- insert your sidechain capable compressor in the bus insert
- assign your signal to be compressed to the bus subchil stereo (send from the signal track,
- assign you key signal to the buss sub child (Ls, Rs)

Enjoy.

Forgot to say, it's for VST plugin, doesn't work with scope plugins

added: It might works (I am testing the idea!)
I use 2 devices (Ywire M, Y wire S I created as described to hifiboom in a previous discussion)
these devices duplicate the inputs to 2 outputs.
process is:
I insert ywire S in the key signal. channel insert.
If I insert vincos in a group/channel and enable sidechain, it is able to see and connect to the replicated outputs of ywire S if ywire S is inserted BEFORE vinco.

I need to check if there is no phase problem (as these 2 signals could be processed in 2 separate threads, they might not be synchronous).

cheers

Michel
Attachments
Y wire S.rar
(8.55 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

This is very interesting Michel !!

If there's a phase issue with the stereo version, at least the mono version will still be cool... :)

cheers!
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi Shoomz,

No there is no problem. !!! works well and it is even saved with yur cubase project and is restaured next time you launch it if the Ywire is plugged inside a channel which is on the left (cubase console view) of the signal channel using the sidechained plug.

The phase was in fact I was not sure if two cubase channels are synchronous threads or not ... seems yes!

cheers

(btw: there is no graphic GUI as I don't have a good GUI design software ... and the device should be open if I didn't make mistake.)

Michel
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

cool ! :)

Hey, did you ever try the MOVamily devices by MCCY for sidechaining in SFP? They give you lots of really cool options. :)
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi,

No, No offense to MCCY but a bit complex to me! Also, I am not sure of signal phase behave when I would insert stuff. I'll have to test but before I'll need some explanations!

cheers

Michel
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

I think the MOVamily devices are more suited to working with dynamics & sidechain movement in SFP, not so much for xtc use, although I haven't tried to route them up for xtc (not an xtc user here). I could explain uses for some of Martin's MOVamily devs, but it would be better if he explained them to you himself. :)
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

sounds interesting!! could you post some screenshots, so we (I :) ) can understand it easier?
thanks!
bool

Post by bool »

Please, can somebody dumb this procedure down a bit, for someone thick brained like me?

And how could that possibly work in XTC?
(SX3 as well)
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi,

About the devices:
As usual, you have to put these devices underc:/scope_45/devicesXTC/effects/others for the dev
create a dll under your vstplugin/XTC directory by copying/renaming a XTC FX dll (same name as device)
once this is done, htese devices appears in your VST FX list
If you want to compress the bass drum (source) according to the level of the bass (key)
insert thye device ywire M in the insert slot of the bass channel from cubase
insert the vinco compressor in the bass drum channel of cubase
hit the sidechain button from vinco, a drop down list appear on the right
select the dropdown list you will see Ywire M in the list, select second output.
Now your Bass drum is compressed according to the bass level.

The bass channel MUST be on the left of the Bass drum channel in cubase console view (you can order channels as you want in cubase) . If these channels are Vsti or XTC devices, the device generating the bass signal MUST be instanciated before the device generating the bass drum.

There is no GUI for these devices (no need and keep its memory footprint smaller).

cheers

Michel
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi

Stardust,

Glad it help you!

BTW, use the SFP FX instead of XTC ones, (compressor, gate, limiter, ...) they have sidechain! (copy them in the deviceXTC/FX directory).

Incidentally, I digged this:
- after some remarks from voidar (thanks to brings this to my attention)
- after a demo from a guy working with native VstFx.
I thought we could be able to do this as well (he explained me how to sidechain with native vst).

cheers

Michel
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Yes the SFP dynamics fx, in scope_45/devices/effects have sidechaining wherea the ones under scope_45/deviceXTC doesn't.
Copying the first ones over the seconds, allow you to have sidechaining.

cheers

Michel
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

Actually, there is a simpler way to side chain in SX and Nuendo 3 ; simply use two Vincos and/or sidechain enabled Scope's devices in xtc mode. I use it without troubles and without the need of an extra tool and bus setting etc...
I recently found out this and I was shocked !!! 8-)
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi Bifop

Even better then !!!

Thanks I'll try that

Cheers

Michel
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

One lets say, on the kick, and one on the bass. You need one to send the key to the other.
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

OK, another one for Christmas time...

Take the Y S wire on this thread. Make it a vst plugin and drop the Ystereo.mdl in xtc devices/stereo/other. It will be used as an audio router.
Use this as the key sender to a vinco/gate/ducker plugin. No need for to Vinco wich is not always what you may want (compressing the source key).
Supa easy sidechaining (tm) inside Nuendo with XTC plugins

Hehe mon ami, c'est pas beautiful ça !!!

:D
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi Bifop

just for what I designed these devices for...

and if you need, you can rename them (as bassywire) and have more than one in a project (not easy to manage when there is more then one sidechain)

cheer

Michel
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi,

And I work on an open device being a 4 monitoring mixer without GUI and integrated in Cubase SX (through device panel and redirecting the monitoring button).

... but as I learn the SDK! no release date!

cheers

Michel
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

Yes Michel do it !
THanks for this Y wire stuff !! I was looking for something similar to experiment and I tried your device wich fitted the bill perfectly !
Great tip for renaming as well.

The Y wire indeed hunts !

Man, this user community really rocks !
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi Bifop,

Your support with device panel at cubase.net was helpful too...

cheers

Michel
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

Hey Stardust, If you read the thread correctly, you'll see that I did my part of discovery in this process, and not the least.
Michel, we don't even need the y stuff, a simple pass through would do. The process I describe is totally different than what you were after (by using 1 vinco and your Y or 2 vincos and that it).
Guys, don't make me look as a fool or somebody that steals others' discoveries or I certainly won't share my tips anymore here. Simply put, I'm not after fame, I'm just an enthousiast who likes when credit is given where it's due.