Small Sweet Starfleet

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Small Sweet Starfleet

Post by dawman »

I couldn't believe I found a quick solution for my gig at the last minute.

I am really pushing the DSP's w/ running 32 MIDI channels, and 2 mixers packed with my favorite FX and FAT BASTARD synths. I found a trick for addressing large amounts of RAM in XP, which worked and has given me the ability to use 2.6GB's of RAM for samples using 4GB's of Samsung PC2-6400. This will hold me over until 64bit apps are stable.

I had to re do my project for 2 MIDI Source modules, 2 mixers, etc.

Painfully I had to replace my favorite mixers to use a low DSP approach for this gig. But it actually worked out very well.

The STM1632 was used to house all hardware and software FX, plus 42 stereo channels routed into 16 stereo channels temporarily.

This left me with Dynamic mixer, that dog didn't hunt, and various other mixers that were overkill. I then realised I remembered Celmos little mixer. Since I only needed a 24bit WAV module, Pro One, B2003, Prowave, Modular, and my external hardware analog it seemed perfect. So for 50 bucks I bought it.

I was impressed right away with the quality of Celmos reverb / delay which has a great vintage sound in the 1st AUX. It can emulate the old Ursa Major and is a very robust effect in itself, well worth the asking price of the mixer. But the 4 stereo and 2 mono configuration was perfect. It also has another AUX for effects where I naturally put a SpaceF delay for the synths, while the reverb is used on the B2003. To top it off, it also has a master out effect insert, which I placed the DAS SL9000 with it's precise gate, and audio tricks.

Do not be fooled by this shy looking device. For those who need a rich reverb derived from multi taps like the Ursa Major, and a low DSP signature, this is perfect for mixing mono and stereo synths. It also allowed me to play music during the breaks w/ Scope FX where I had fun trying to make pre recorded music sound Psychedelic.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I liked the effect so much, I went back and bought it seperately, along with other toys.

Scope developers from France and Duestchland are the bomb. w/o them I'd be dragging my hardware rig around still.
arela

Post by arela »

So Tarzan still around :o
Scope developers from France and Duestchland are the bomb. w/o them I'd be dragging my hardware rig around still.
agree
wolf

Post by wolf »

This will hold me over until 64bit apps are stable.
Just a short plunge regarding 64bit apps:
It's a complete myth, that 32bit apps are not capable to address more than 4GB Ram. Logic8's EXS24 can address as much Ram, as there is in you computer .. no limit. Any AU or VST developer can do this *now* .. it is even not platform specific and possible on any 32bit OS.
Having said that, there's not one reason for the audio world to switch to a 64bit OS. Unfortunately it'll happen anyway.

Ok, sorry for the rant & hijacking the thread :)
husker

Post by husker »

wolf wrote:
This will hold me over until 64bit apps are stable.
Just a short plunge regarding 64bit apps:
It's a complete myth, that 32bit apps are not capable to address more than 4GB Ram. Logic8's EXS24 can address as much Ram, as there is in you computer .. no limit. Any AU or VST developer can do this *now* .. it is even not platform specific and possible on any 32bit OS.
Having said that, there's not one reason for the audio world to switch to a 64bit OS. Unfortunately it'll happen anyway.

Ok, sorry for the rant & hijacking the thread :)
Sorry wolf, I just don't think that is true...the 4GB limit is very real. OSX Leopard is a 64 bit OS and ESX24 is a 64 bit app (Logic 8 itself is still mostly 32 bit).

Do you have any example of 32 bits apps on a 32 bit OS addressing more than 4GB?

cheers.
wolf

Post by wolf »

husker wrote:Do you have any example of 32 bits apps on a 32 bit OS addressing more than 4GB?
yep, as already mentioned -> EXS24 on Tiger/Logic8, true 32 bit apps :-)

However better lets continue this 64bit discussion here as it usually becomes longer :
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23477

best,
Wolfgang