MAGIX MUSIC MAKER 12 AND MIXDOWN QUALITY!

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

orly

MAGIX MUSIC MAKER 12 AND MIXDOWN QUALITY!

Post by orly »

Hello people,

I have had Magix music maker 12 now for a while. I have other programs but I like the way this APP is easy to use! I am having a huge problem with the sound quality! I have read on the internet that people are having many issues with the app. They say it crashes and so-forth. I have not really had many issues with the app myself. The only thing is that I am having a problem that what I hear when working with magix im not getting the same sound when I mix down in 320 mp3!
I do house/electro music and the quality is not what I would like for it to be.
Anyone have any clues in what is a GREAT setting that I perhaps have missed?

btw- I have a audio interface and two synth- roland and yamaha

the conection with my hardware is not the problem, its just the sound quality(distortion) when I mix down.

thanks for your time!

:-?
voidar

Post by voidar »

Then don't mix down to mp3?

Or at least use an external application, with LAME preferably.

Anyway, this isn't very Scope hardware oriented.
orly

Post by orly »

first thanks for getting back to me!

no......it does mixdown to mp3 and wav and other file formats..........now, the problem that I am having is that what I hear on the actuall program when I am working with it does not sound like the mixdown mp3!
For some reason it is not sounding just the same way as when I am using and working on the program, the mixdown is not acurate-distorted!
maybe something im doing wrong- but this program seems to be very easy and I have been using it for a few years now since music maker 12 and the sound quality is always an issue!

I have been working on a song that is already on music maker 12 and I need to complete it on thier before I venture of to live,cube,sonar!

if you can suggest something on this I would greatly appreciate it!

thanks
anyone with problems with magix music maker 12 and the quality of the mixdown and the actuall sound of the mp3 in 320 kbps?
any help?
voidar

Post by voidar »

Do you even have any Scope hardware?

Why don't you try to mix down to uncompressed WAV instead.
Janni

Post by Janni »

-/-
orly

Post by orly »

I have a audio interface that I use for my mic! and I have a Roland sh201 that has usb and I connect my other keyboards through midi or through the audio interface-or even through the Roland. So my sound is very much digital...but the software for some reason is not giving me a studio/club sound that Im looking for.
anyone with problems with magix music maker 12 and the quality of the mixdown and the actuall sound of the mp3 in 320 kbps?
any help?
voidar

Post by voidar »

I don't think you will find much help here.
This is a forum for discussions related to SonicCore/Creamware DSP hardware.

I doubt anyone on this forum are familiar with the software you use.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

magix music maker is an incarnation of samplitude. I have no idea why magix took that turn, but their music maker series have been running for quite some time. I don't use it, or know anyone who uses it, so I can't give you hands on help. I think the only theoretical problem is with the built in encoder. Like what everyone else has been saying, mix down to WAV, and then use and external encoder.

You may already know this, but since mp3 is a lossy encoding, your end result will physically never be the same as the original, so there will be degradation no matter what. A lossless codec I know of is FLAC. You should get very good results with LAME mp3 encoder at 320kbps tho.

The studio/club sound you may be after takes a lot of experience to produce, and isn't dictated by the gear you use. (although it makes a little difference) A lot of the magic and sheen is introduced in the mastering stage. Also, a lot of it has to do with the pre-amps and consoles used to record the equipment. These things introduce all sorts of saturation, overdrive, etc. (ie, non-linear response) that give distinctive character to the overall sound.

Have you looked into compression on individual tracks? A master limiter / multicomp? Maybe a master exciter? How about EQing th master a bit? A stereo field widener of some sort? Bass can also be enhanced by slightly overdriving. It's a combination of mixing and mastering, and both of them take specialized software to do. I am not sure if music maker is capable of this to begin with.

Dang it, you're in Miami. I was in Doral 'till last year!! I was going to FIU's music tech program but quit.
orly

give up!

Post by orly »

going to use Live-and frootloops. Thanks for your feedback!
any help?
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

I still have no idea how a Music Maker user ended up on Z, but heck, I guess we're an all round source for information?

orly>> btw, no matter what combination of software you use, the mp3 encoding is best done by LAME I think. Give it a try.[/i]
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

voidar wrote:I don't think you will find much help here.
This is a forum for discussions related to SonicCore/Creamware DSP hardware.

I doubt anyone on this forum are familiar with the software you use.
I am. I use Samplitude Pro exclusively. Music Maker is a sort of Samplitude 'lite'.

If you're not satisfied with the results from mixing internally in the app., then find a way to simply record out to an external unit such as another computer, stereo recorder (handheld), or even <ahem> DAT. This way you'll get a better a/b comparison.

Also, you can try routing your mix output inside Scope into another instance of Music Maker input channel and try mixing it that way. THIS is the tie-in and advantage of having Scope.

I currently sometimes mix OUT of Samplitude 9.x (now V10), and INTO Samplitude 7.23 - all within Scope on one machine. Works GREAT!

Otherwise I recommend using some limiting on the main mix channel before mixing internally.

Also, good luck with FL or Live (or whatever). If you aren't happy with your results in Magix, then you definitely won't like what you get out of those other hosts (IMO :))
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3