Adding a Board to an existing installation

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

RX

Adding a Board to an existing installation

Post by RX »

Hi All !

I recently installed my shiny new (actually shiny second-hand or probably even third-hand) Scope Pro next to my 2 Pulsar2s, and since it took me some time to piece together the info from the manual + different PlanetZ threads, I thought it might be useful to summarize some of the info here.

First of all, I found no real hard reference to the order of the boards in the PCI slots making any difference. It might seem from general knowledge about PCI that putting the card with the most DSPs closest to the CPU - but there is no real hard evidence - the only thing I found was something in the Scope Manual stating that it is best to use the "middle" PCI slots for the cards.

I ended up, for practical reasons, leaving my Pulsar 2s in the 2nd and 4th PCI slot (counting the PCI slot closest to the CPU as number 1) and inserting the Scope Pro in the middle, in the 3rd slot. Since my setup seems to work just fine, I think this is a valid setup - but as a disclaimer, I haven't stress-tested it yet !!

About the cset.ini and board numbering, it seems that the PCI ordering of the cards doesn't matter - at least not when it concerns an existing scope SW installation. I will soon reinstall the Scope SW from scratch (since I want to use a different HD), maybe the numbering will be different - I may update this article with my findings.

Instead, it looks as if the order in which the boards were installed is used.

This means : 0 is the number of first board you put in your PC. If you later add a second board, that becomes 1 and if even later you add a third board, it will have number 2. This is circumstantial evidence though - I found no "hard" documentation.

In cset.ini, you are supposed to put the board with the highest number of DSPs first, as [board0]. Since the Scope Pro with 12 DSPs is my third card in order of installation, I had to specify :

[board0]
boardid=2

board 1 and 2 both have 6 DSPs, so I stuck to the old ordering for the remaining entries :

[board1]
boardid=0

[board2]
boardid=1

This yielded me the expected results : when opening the DSP meter, the 12 DSPs of my Scope Pro were listed first.

Now for the gotcha, which I didn't expect and which I had not yet seen on the PlanetZ threads I looked at (but I'm sure I'm not the first to have this issue) :

It looks as if existing projects are using the internal board number. So on opening my first project, I got pop-ups saying that the IOs configured in the project did not match the Hardware IOs. I suspect this means that the project internally saved, for example, my ADAT and Analogue modules specifying the board id 0, whereas now board 0 suddenly turned out to be a Scope Pro, which seems to be "incompatible".

The solution is fairly easy : go to the routing window and remove all Hardware IO modules, and add them again using the menu's (which should reflect the new situation). And, of course, re-link them :) Too bad there is no "replace" function (that I know of at least) which allows you to replace a linked module with another one, as long of course as they have the same ins and outs...

Again a disclaimer - these are my conclusions based on trial and error, reading the manual and several PlanetZ threads - some of my deductions might be wrong...

That said, I hope this is useful to some of you :)

Xeers
Philip