Section Sounds For The Few, The Brave, The GS3's.

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Section Sounds For The Few, The Brave, The GS3's.

Post by dawman »

I know I write too much, but maybe just one alert fellow will hear this and see it's sheer power w/ Scope.

In GS3 if one knows this app well, one can mix samples from everywhere to achieve powerful, custom instruments.

Last week I had some decent sounding sections for the rehearsal today where J.Joplin's song Try had some horns, but these guys must have been smoking too much weed as their sections power was.......well, weak.

I decided to make a section full of brass and reeds that had the Maynard Ferguson screeching solo horn over the top. I first re sampled all of the swells to have extended times and crescendos, as there is nothing worse than holding down some swells that disappear before their time. It's better to let go of a sampled swell early, in case the band's excited and playing the song too fast, than to be pushing down silent keys, aarrgghhh.

So included were trumpert swells, trombone swells, and alto swells. I then placed the tenor and baritone sections in the lowest part of the controller. In a seperate zone, 2 total for this performance, I placed the Screaming Lead Trumpet ( solo ) that has some serious balls. Then I retrieved the staccatos of the same sections and placed them, and then the Trombone falls, alto flutter downs, and trumpet section shakes. Lot's of work, but I like it so.

So for 400 USD I have a complete horn section w/ solo, and muliple articulations. When I play the keys hard the sections all bark, when I play w/ medium velocity the swells are activated, and when I apply the mod wheel upwards, my trumpets shake, my trombones fall, and the altos flutter down very nicely. When I strike a hard velocity followed by the medium, I get a perfect blastr swell, typical of the old late and great Bill Chase section arranging. With my expression pedal I control the over the top double octave solo licks, and have attached the Kurzweil Ribbon for those searching sliding up to pitch licks.

This is an awesome sounding section, the best I ever had, or heard for live work. The band members were smiling like Nigerians in a Las Vegas showroom full of trim.

Anyone who is using Giga, and wants this only needs to buy the libraries, as I have done all of the work and will gladly share this. Some tweaks are needed though on your own controllers.

Serious Strength, And Honor,
dawman

Post by dawman »

And don't forget about this one also.
Last edited by dawman on Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I hate the taste of crack cocaine, so I disguise it in a Winston,..........I'd rather fight than switch.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Just kiddin' Brosky.

WJ is a fierce warrioir who runs, works out, etc. It's an attraction of oppisites.

I smoke when I have had a few Jagers or gallons of wine....that's all.