Celmos Tape Sim

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Celmos Tape Sim

Post by dawman »

I must share my experiences once again w/ my Brotha's.

Yes it's Friday Night, I am jamming w/ my QY700 sequencer and just found the sweetest combination of delays.

My Oberheim EDP is a blast but basically is a single source delay unit.

SpaceF's AUX delay is a dual source delay.

Celmo's Tape Sim has 3 heads.

I did a 32 bar synth pattern on the sequencer, and let it loop around while I mixed from my KS88 using these 3 delays. It soon became clear to me that a simpler synth pattern would show off the delays better. So I used one of the cheezy QY700 drum patterns and just played a 4 bar pattern where the synth did a simple quarter note followed by an eigth note, that's it.

The EDP did the BPM w/ 1/4 notes, the AUX delay did the 1/8 notes, and Celmos Tape Sim did the 1/4 note triplets. I was shocked at the simplicity, and how well it did the groove. Took off the echos, and it sounded like shit.

This was the little groove intro I was looking 4 to bring out a stage full of dancing ho's. It's perfect. I tend to wear my fusion hat too much. These FX actually became the hook, well the bass was really, but w/o the effects it was so cheezed.

My tip is buy Celmos Tape Sim, SpaceF's delay bundle, and the Oberheim is grand, but any single source delay would do the job fine. A stock CW delay. But the 3 heads of Tape Sim are key to the triplets accuracy, which glued this idea together.

I would love to hear any tips concerning dance style stuff, as I am preparing 30 songs, and twice the number of segue's by December.

Music doesn't have to be as complicated as we think.
Lima

Post by Lima »

Hi S4L! maybe it's trivial, but a good tip is to load every effect inside a multifx slot (I mean not direclty on the routing window) and, after tweaking the parameters, to save the the configuration's preset.
In this way you can recall it with a single click every time you need it :-)

For the Oberheim delay you could load the external_fx module inside the same multifx device.

:)
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
dawman

Post by dawman »

You are a frickin' Multi slot genius !!

Please explain how I could get the Oberheim EDP it's own slot. I do know how to route it, but forgot the way to rename and use the master effect I guess you are talking about. The EDP is a mono hardware unit BTW.

This has been a very, very good Scope weekend. I have had no sex, no arguing, and only missed one bill to pay.

But I have achieved some very great live tricks and sounds as well.

Please Explain If You Have The Time, Brotha' Man Lima, Italia to the rescue !!
Lima

Post by Lima »

scope4live wrote:You are a frickin' Multi slot genius !!
Err... No... Maybe I'm only too lazy :-P

Anyway about the external fx you could use 2 different devices:
External Effect
or (as you said)
Master Effect

You have them in both mono or stereo version, but obviously you should have to load the mono version inside a mono slot and a stereo version inside the stereo slot. (really if you want you can also load a mono fx inside a stereo slot, but in this case you loose the stereo informations I suppose...)

The main difference between the 2 devices is that with the master fx you can change (and store in the preset file) several parameters: the gain, the dry/wet balance, the phase inversion and the latency compensation. Seeing that you will use it for live performances the second is preferable IMO.

When you have loaded it into the slot you have to choose the right connections between your phisical or software IO. Remember that when you link the slot to (for example) the analog in/out of your board , it will became unavailable for the other devices.

For a deeper explanation about these devices and about the connections, read here:
ftp://ftp.creamware.de/Manuals/SCOPE/Ma ... rTools.pdf

There's also an aux rack that could be usefull for live as well :-)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Tu Ares Un Entrinado Proffesionalmente !!

Thanks, this is a very important tip.

is there any hardware that you are looking for ?

I can help you w/ cheap prices I get over here from being an avid gear freak and junkie. All prices are frozen at dealers cost and 10% due to my illness.

Great Tip Brotha' Man Lima, Thanks Again. I Will Do This Now While I Watch Multiple NFL Games, and Surf eBay. Jager time is at 12:00 Hundred Hours PST. So I Better Hurry.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Your Advice Was Spot On Lima,
This works great. I can just imagine a multi synth device making things so quick and efficient.

I must delete some CC'c to make room for the new trick, but it actually allows me to delete several, and re place the vital components only.

I still say buy Celmo's Tape Sim. It shows the BPM value, and has three heads all panned however you wish with EQ for effect, for feedback, and it is the only delay device where the triplets are effective. There are other ways to do this as in Mehdi's AUX delay I coulld insert another delay in it's insert slot. But Celmos Tape Sim has a sound that works so well with SpaceF's delays, it's very complimentary, and extremely effective.

I Am Preparing For Battle,
Lima

Post by Lima »

I'm very happy to hear about it, and I'm glad to have helped you! :-D
I can just imagine a multi synth device making things so quick and efficient.
Yes! I also think it could be very handy!!! I'm waiting for the mighty_dev's news fervishing... :roll:
I Am Preparing For Battle
I think you're going to the war field with goooood weapons :wink: