Midi Controllers

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

nightscope

Midi Controllers

Post by nightscope »

To think I just shelled out for some faders and knobs. Not even in the same ballpark.

GypsyMIDI Motion Capture MIDI Controller

"The Gypsy Mocap-midi controller suit [MX12] is modeled on the human skeletal form, using rotational sensors placed on the body joints. The suit simply plugs into a midi interface and body movements send midi signals directly to sound modules and to popular audio sequencing software such as, Logic Audio, Cubase, Live and Reason."

http://www.sonalog.com/index.htm

Yamaha Miburi

"The Yamaha Miburi is body suit that senses a variety of body movements and emits MIDI data in response to them. This MIDI data can be subsequently used to generate or modify sound or any other media."

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/design/pro_1990_08.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y9V5ORFnzs

Get a frogman's suit and you can mix underwater.

If all else fails there's always "Midi with Hamster Control".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7yDgXaV ... ed&search=

Or midiGun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBo-LGyl ... ed&search=

ns
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Cool, but I prefer to move only few fingers instead whole body for midi controlling... :P

:D

[lazy_mode:on]
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

Hm, I guess I'm not _that_ flexible to be suited for that kind of toy. But I can imagine that would make a kickass controller for stage performances, freeing the artist from the usual knobbing boards . Just add a floorboard midi switch and you're good to go.

It seems, Yamaha reached out and went for more futuristic control devices. Not just this one, but also that one...
http://www.global.yamaha.com/tenori-on/index.html

This is more my kind of toy. Dunno if I will get one some time, but it sure looks great. See the matrix is lit on both sides? So holding it in your hands on stage will also catch the audience's attention. Gotta love the ways the controller market is taking!
:D
cheers, joe
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

JoeKa wrote:This is more my kind of toy.
More toys @ Roger Linn's site.

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/other/new_instruments/

ns
dawman

Post by dawman »

Brotha' Man Nightscope,

It's a pleasure to have you here again, you always have another view of things that's quite refreshing. Good work.

I wonder since the MIDI-Ho is so flexible, is she capable of exotic gymnastic moves such as the infamous lipstand?
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

scope4live wrote:I wonder since the MIDI-Ho is so flexible, is she capable of exotic gymnastic moves such as the infamous lipstand?
Indeed. The MIDI-Ho is well capable of the "lipstand" manoevre, along with other lesser known but equally satisfying moves. Most important consideration must always be given to the careful adjustment of the various "trim" controls during operation. Then stand well back.

ns
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

stardust wrote:midi to DMX converter lighting
Well, I just learnt something new. DMX. I thought is was a bike. Appears be some sort of stage lighting control.

Midi-Ho to Solaris thro to DMX. Haight Ashbury revisited.

ns
dawman

Post by dawman »

Brotha' Man Stardust,
That's a great idea. I just happen to be discussing another production with a great choreographer.

I'm not trying to be funny, but I have used MIDI'd lights for over 20 years. My ancient JL Cooper was buried, for a nice little Merlin board.

She has a large influence in the dance and theater community here in Las Vegas, and has several talented girls in her stable. I could imagine a certain skit / dance, where the girls attach Borg like costumes, and one could be MIDI'd to the lights for a real cool effect.

Thanks, I usually have to think of stuff that's different to make things more origanal, this might be worth checking out.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Another idea which could be fun and maybe a bit simpler would be to use the Nintendo WiiMote as a MIDI controller:

http://crustea.vjfrance.com/article-130714.html

I will try this type of thing and tell you about the kind of results which could be expected with such stuff ...

CheerZ
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

there's all sorts of these gadgets out... been around for a long time too. The most responsive method I know of is use measure resistance, since the flexing of the muscle causes changes in resistance. Very sensitive, but also very expensive to get the reading because you need medical equipment to do that. And it needs to be converted to MIDI. My prof. used it for a digital opera production, and worked quite well.

But in the end, the case is almost always the same. A great dancer with simple lights and simple music is just as convincing. Probably more beautiful, but less "wow" factor.

That said, I'm more for less cumbersome interfaces, like video. Anything that inhibits the dancer's movement or affects the choreography is.. well, takes away from the performance me thinks. Or atleast from the experiments I've done. Dance is a delicate art, and it just seems to me that putting gadgets on these poeple really plays down their craft. Works if they're just considered moving instruments, but then that's no longer dance, but a mere visualization of sound. Anyway.. it's a complex discipline.
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

but what happens if you sneeze during your performance??? :D
Zer

Post by Zer »

forget all about that and try a cucumber
instead
"Heaven is there where hell is and heaven is not on earth!"
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

ennio morricone i think is the first that used midi on body. in 1986. he put many midi sensors on maradona's body and....... this is the result!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z-qm-Sb_4s
dawman

Post by dawman »

Nice clip of how to use fast ball control.

Especially the old act like you're going to kick the ball, and change direction.

He actually froze the defenders, causing them to look foolish, when actually he is just a sneaky bastard.

Pro ball players from England usually were the best players in the alleys they grew up near. Very seldom does someone take a ball clear down the field leaving defenders on the ground, and then scores as well ??!!!

Astounding.

Now what does this have to do w/ MIDI, BTW.

Are U Xperiencing the MIDI Blues w/ Scope?
hubird

Post by hubird »

how's the Jaeger today Jimmy? Image
dawman

Post by dawman »

A fine bottle of Merlot from Sonoma Valley, CA. actually.

I have some new pics of the controller's new layout, and CC assignments.

I just love Scope's MIDI abilities w/ these KS88's. just wish they had updatable LCD's, and the keybed of a Kawii MP8, I would be exstatic.

Thanks 4 Asking, and may you be festive w/ your lover tonight also !!
hubird

Post by hubird »

wish it was ;-)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Speaking of MIDI Controllers,........

I finally have downsized my rig for my personal gigs, and relegated my 3 DAW's to one in Lake Tahoe w/ 2 KS88's, one in Vegas w/ 2 x KS88's, and one production DAW for drums, and vocals. It will run Gigastudio 3 w/ Larry Seyers Acoustic Drums, and the DAS FOH / Monitor Mixer for vocals and FX. It will only need one Scope Professional, and still runs on a Supermicro P4SCT+II w/ a 3.4EE Northwood.

My personal DAW in Vegas now has the following hardware.

Oberheim Echoplex Digital Pro
Lexicon PCM91
Lexicon PCM81
Studio Electronics SE-1x
Creamware A16 Ultra
Samson PL24 Rack Mixer
Motion-Sound Pro3t Rotary Cabinet
2 x Barbetta Sona 32C's
Barbetta Stereo Sub
2 x KS88's
2 x Scope Pros ADAT, 1 x Scope Project AES / EBU
Bidule VST Host w/ GVI / K2 based instruments

Less is better, and faster. I always used 2 x DAW's w/ one for redundancy. Scope runs so incredibly stable this is no longer necessary. So now I charge contractors extra money to fly to Lake Tahoe. They don't know my spare rig and controllers await me there. I simply carry a dongle w/ me that has the e-licenses on it.

I only use a C4T, Prowave, B2003, and the hardware analog synth.

Prowave 's presets have done a great job of emulating a D50, Oberheim Matrix 12, Waldorf WAVE, and many other digital, and analog poly synths. C4T, and the SE-1x have a really FAT mono lead sound, the B2003 w/ a real rotary cabinet are incredibly realistic. And my vast libraries in Giga w/ GVI / K2 based instruments do everything else.

The KS88's control all of my hardware, and software live. Since MIDI intoduces zippers with delays and reverbs in Scope, I cannot justify their use. So hardware is still necessary for changing parameters for size, decay, diffusion, etc. But Scope's other FX respond perfectly for my uses.

Each Prowave preset has Celmo's Tape Sim, and various SpaceF FX's attached to it in the effects insert rack, a genius idea from John Bowen.

The C4T uses SpaceF's Synth FX Delay w/ SSB Modulator, and SSB Phaser in it's insert rack, and the Oberheim EDP for reverse solos on the SE-1x.

2 Wax-S Wah-Wah's are used w/ Celmo's Pro Vintage Delay in it's insert rack. One is on the Prowave, one on the Scarbee Fender Rhodes Library.

I also use and control the MIDI CC's for CW's AutoPan, Tremolo S, Phaser S, ( Zawinul Rhodes stuff ) and the B2003's various priority parameters.

Sample Librarie's include Sonic Implants Symphonic Strings, Melotron, ARP String, Upright Steinway, Yamaha Grand, Rhodes, Hohner D6 Clavinet, Wurlitzer, Acoustic Guitars, French Horns, Sax Sections, Horn Sections, Symphony Of Voices, Origins Ethnic Winds, & Strings, and Kyma Custom Waveforms.

This took two years to complete through live performances, and studio work. It is stable as the sunrise in the east.

I will never regret my Scope purchases, ever.
hubird

Post by hubird »

really great :-)
waiting for a small sound snippet...
kyunghwee

Post by kyunghwee »

stardust wrote:www.jazzmutant.com
Yes yes Lemur is in the same category, but multi touch capable.
Oh I want to get my hands on one of those so bad!
BTW, has anyone here have much experience with using Jazzmutant Lemur or Dexter with Scope devices? I suppose Dexter is out of the question unless running dual mode...which essentially makes it a Lemur.