Macs love Pulsars (SFP)

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

samplaire

Post by samplaire »

SFP 3.1c

Note - CW cards are not G5 compatible (late summer 2003)

Recently I realized that the following thread http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 17&forum=3& is outdated and it needs a refurbishing :smile:

All the below tips are mine, Air_Pollo's, Dodge's and Gregory's and taken from the 'Optimize Your Mac For Audio' http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... forum=3&29 (and refurbished, of course :smile:

::::::::AiR_PoLLo + Samplaire + Dodge + Gregory:::::::::

Important note:
() Creamware software works only in pre OS X systems. It doesn't either in MacOS X nor MacOS X classic mode.
() Some of the latest G4s (though OS9 bootable) have larger PSUs which unables to connect 2 or 3 CW cards with the STDM cable. So if you plan to buy a Mac and want to have more than one CW card consider the fact

For SFP 3.1c

GENERAL MAC-AS-A-DAW TIPS:

@ use MacOS 9.2.2 - graphics is faster!

@ Update Firmware to the latest version (if it's a G4 -> 4.2.8 -> http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120068 )

@ use OMS 2.3.8 . After installing the OMS soft - trash OMS Time Manager found in System Folder/OMS folder.

@ Perhaps this link will help you to understand the importance of OMS configuratuin:
http://linux1723.dn.net/forum/Forum1/HTML/004682.html

@ If possible, format your HD in 2 or more partitions. Install the OS on the first partition and put a copy of that OS on the second partition. Whenever you install software on the first partition, copy the system folder to the second partition as a backup when you're done. If you keep more than one version of your OS on different partitions and one OS crashes and won't boot, the Mac boots from the backup OS.

@ Better yet, create three partitions. 2 Relatively small ones and 1 large partition. Use for instance a 1:1:4 or 1:1:2 ratio, depending on the size of your HD. Keep a minimum of 1 GB per partition though. On the first one, install the OS and your main software. Keep all your fonts and small files, like those html help sections, readme's etc. on the second. Finally, use the third (and largest) partition for your documents (audio) files. The ultimate would be to install separate internal HD's, but that's a rare and usually costly setup.

@ Another thing to check is to give your apps the right amount of memory. Sometimes assigning LESS memory avoids crashes, but never go lower than the minimum set by the author of the app. if you think your app needs more, assign more.

@ Remember that SFP app doesn't need lots of MBs assigned to it (the default amount is enough). Pulsar doesn't [directly] benefit from more memory assignment since it shares the dynamic memory with the OS itself, so assign more to your sequencer...

@ Keep your setup as clean as possible. When you install software, keep the install logs, your might need them later for troubleshooting or to check where the files were placed. If you're using the Mac for music only, don't install every bit of free software you can find, it will most likely kill your system at some point.

@ If you want to experiment with demos, sharaware, to be able to connect to the internet - have 2 OSs ready on 2 partitions. It's easier to have the DAW setup clean that way.

ABOUT YOUR EXTENSIONS & CONTROL PANELS:

@ Reduce the extensions especially index scheduler... remember not to use indexing on the drive with the SFP install (and an any other, at least during your work time). In general, get rid of internet, security related extensions and any other unuseful in your DAW but remember to disable them one-by-one because some of them may be used by your sequencer (you should have your internet setup in another Extensions set that you can easly build using the Extensions Manager);

@ Here you can find almost complete info on all extensions and their influence on your DAW (but remember the text is Logic optimized and some extensions they say to disable are important for Cubase:
http://www.logicuser.net./extensions/browse.php (this set of extension is refered to 9.0.4 but almost all of them are also in 9.2.2)

After reading all of those, please, consider also these:

@ The Monitors CP (useful only if you plan to change your monitor's settings like colour depth and pixel resolution, otherwise disable it and the 2 mentioned below) works only if the following two ext. are enabled: System Monitor plugins + AppleGuide

@ They say that FBC indexing scheduler should be enabled but if you read the above tips you read something 180 degrees different; the tip: disable it as it is important but not for DAW users.

@ Find by content ext. also should be disabled.

@ All the vBasic, vBig... etc. extensions (they say they don't know anything about them) refer to VelocityEngine founfd in G4 proc so they should be enabled /they are parts of 9.0.4 OS but are absent or in other form in 9.1 and above)

@ Colour Picker ext. - I believe I found a use for it somewhere in Cubase, so probably don't disable it as it does no hurt to other exts.

ABOUT 3rd PARTY EXTENSIONS & CONTROL PANELS:

@ Startup Doubler extension - don't use it because your SFP drivers will not initialize properly

@ Default Folder extension - if you must use it, don't do it in one case -
while installing any program (it avoids successful installation) [it was some 2 years ago, perhaps newer versions don't have this bug?]

@ Install the USB floppy enabler extension (found in the net - http://www.macupdate.com for instance) - even if you don't have any external Floppy-like drive it increases your system stability.

@ It's worth looking: http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 3&forum=19 . You never know if it has any use in our systems but I have it disabled :smile:

ABOUT YOUR SFP SOFTWARE:

@ Cset.ini file - backup it right after the initial configuring of your
system. It will be very helpful in the future (the file gets corrupted very
often).

@ A tip I found in the CW official support database (please note: you have to be a registered CW user to reach the site): http://shop.creamware.de/shop2000/de/sh ... enDocument there is one thing to remember though: the file cset.ini can't be open any longer by the SimpleText (at least in my system)

@ If you use your CW cards' midi I/O then you can encounter problems caused by the 'active sensing' message sent by your outboard gear. Keep the OMS app open during your whole SFP session - it avoids 100% of Cubase/Logic launching-crashes ('bomb system 10 error', 'MacOS error type 2 or 3);

OPTIMIZING/OVERCLOCKING TIPS

@ Two simple ones to do on older G4s and Yosimite G3 machines: change the main 5400 rpm drive to a new 7200 rpm drive; change the stock ATI 16 MB video card to a Radeon Mac Edition 32 MB. It can result in about 15 to 20% overall speedup :smile:

@ for experts, only: http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~schrier/mhz.html

THINGS TO BE AWARE OF:

SoundManager drivers (known as wave source/dest) are not working properly (honestly, the In doesn't work at all) - so just trash them...

--------------------------------------
The work is worth doing and though the tweaks take some time they will save your creative time in the future. If you do all the above your DAW will become a smooth and friendly - the creative part of work is in your hands
--------------------------------------

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2003-09-19 08:42 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2003-09-19 17:40 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2003-09-21 11:56 ]</font>
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

WoW

Must have been a huge job to get all this together. Maybe you should add the answer to the question floating all over this and the CW forum:

ARE CW CARDS M5 COMPATIBLE?
hubird

Post by hubird »

well done Samplaire!

The G5 ----> Pulsar card compatibility problem is still there, as a big dark cloud.
I did a post about it on the CW forum, to evoke a CW statement, but I don't really count on that.
It seems CW uses planetz more for their own interests (buy now...then you get...for free...) then to inform us maccers about THE issue, which other companies tackled already weeks/month's ago.
So we have to wait Immanuel, I guess :sad:
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

I have to add some things - for example info regarding too large PSU for multicard systems
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

Regarding the Sound Manager Dest/Source drivers. It's true the "in"/Dest drivers are useless for recording, etc. but since ASIO is not multi-client I would hesitate to totally trash the "out"/Source modules. When I want to have a sequencer open, and also other multiple audio apps, let's say Recycle, a third party audio editor like Peak, and Quicktime, I find multiple "Source" modules to be handy.

Now, when and/or if they ever get OSX software functional --- their projection of Fall 2003 can mean so many things :smile: ---, who knows how Creamware will handle Core Audio and the Devices and we'll have a whole bunch of other tips.

There's also a tip about having a Digidesign extension in the Extensions Folder in OS 9.22 that I can't exactly remember so I'll have to check on my Creamware machine over the weekend and remind myself of the exact details and post them here.
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

You're right! The Digidesign extension! It's been prooved that the digidesign extension: http://www.digidesign.com/download/mp/ helps also CW users in their DP (as Borg pointed me later in the thread - Dual Processor, not Digital Performer) machines!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2003-09-26 18:32 ]</font>
hubird

Post by hubird »

a bit OT, but I must correct my own:
I missed a post of Creamware-Ralf about the G5 compatibility issue on the CW forum.
Sorry for that, CW.

Here's the quote from CW-Ralf:

Concerning your inquiry regarding PCI-X, we currently have the following remarks:
In their current state, our cards are not yet ready to be used in a PCI-X slot. Naturally, our developers are already giving thought to possible modifications to existing cards as well as to new hardware designs for future products. We are closely following the development and market acceptance of PCI-X and will certainly support PCI-X in the future, provided that it is able to establish itself well in the market. Presently, however, it is not possible to provide any definite details or timeline for release of a new hardware series.
This is quite likely not the answer you were most hoping to hear. Please bear in mind, however, that PCI-X is still quite new and is still a long way from having achieved widespread acceptance in the PC market. For this reason, it is necessary for us to continue to observe the development of PCI-X before making the decision to commit development and manufacturing resources in this direction.
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

Yeah. They shouldn't release any PCI-X cards until enough people have PCI-X boards to make it worth it. I just hope that time comes soon! It *would* be nice if they could introduce faster DSP chips between now and when they switch to PCI-X, perhaps with more onboard memory to take some of the load off the PCI bus....

Shayne
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

And they really should modify the cards very soon to support 3.3v.

Shayne
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

samplaire,
not sure if the cset.ini tip is needed nowadays. Yes it's probably still a good idea to back it up 'just in case', but i only had problems with Pulsar3.0, 2.04 was OK i seem to remember and before that my memory's hazy, but i believe it got corrupted then too. However since SFP3.1c all seems well on the cset.ini front (anyone had any corruptions?).
hubird

Post by hubird »

On 2003-09-21 02:58, Shayne White wrote:
And they really should modify the cards very soon to support 3.3v.

Shayne
Yes, Shayne you're right.
There is no need to wait longer coz we who have already a CW card must be able to switch to the G5 generation.
That's our reality.
As soon as CW is ready with the OSX version I'd like to switch to the G5.
We have no choise, and so does CW.
(Running the card on a pc linked with the mac via ADAT is possible indeed, but I see this as an very last emergancy option :smile: )
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

On 2003-09-21 05:43, Mr Arkadin wrote:
samplaire,
not sure if the cset.ini tip is needed nowadays.
Hmm.... You are righ :smile: No troubles. I just included the tip (or just didn't erase it) because of the old rule: blow on the cold things :wink: But there is a feature in the SFP to backup some of the most important files like cset.ini and the registry one. I forgot to add a tip found in the tips and tricks part of CW official site (BTW if you look in the Mac tips'n tricks part there are many tipsa regarding PCs only, funny). I will add it above.
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Did anybody try to install Pulsar/Luna/Scope in a Magma box? What are the results? PCs? Macs? If so we can add the review to the 'Macs love Pulsars' tips'n tricks :smile:
borg

Post by borg »

at the latest next weekend i hope to have my magma/toshiba setup up and running. if i like the workflow and get some gigs done succesfully, i might be tempted to get rid off my old G3 desktop and get myself an 'old' powerbook and an additional soundcard with adat (RME). then i can run SFP on the mac laptop, connect it through adat to pc laptop, on which i'll be running ableton live.
but's that not going to be next month...

maybe a tip for people having trouble with graphics... when playing with the new ableton live beta, there was no action on the screen, unless i kept moving my Logitech mouse around... the solution was:
*install carbonlib 1.6
*after doing this, restarting, and trying to launch live again, i got something like 'interfaclib--getcomponentresource could not be found'... to get around this, install upgrade to quicktime 6 or later, if you have to.

wojtek, about the asio tip from the creamware forum: i can still open up my cset.ini file through simpletext, but i couldn't find the mentionned entry at all (and i think i have the latest SFP version).

about the digidesign extension: you said 'dp machines'... do you mean 'digital performer'? wasn't to clear to me if i would benefit from it when only using sfp, live (and sometimes cubase).

OMS: when you say 'keep it open', you are saying you have actually opened it in the beginning of your session? i, for one, have NEVER opened oms once, unless a major update in my system was necessary (reinstalling,...) i thought the sequencer app or mac os automatically engaged oms (although it isn't present in the finder...). never had any problems. only with older cubase files, i sometimes get the message that oms needs another studio setup, but again it's just a click and all is fine.

b/w G3 450Mhz 512Mb ram OS9.2.2 SFP3.1 OMS2.3.8
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

On 2003-09-26 12:51, borg wrote:
wojtek, about the asio tip from the creamware forum: i can still open up my cset.ini file through simpletext, but i couldn't find the mentionned entry at all (and i think i have the latest SFP version).
Now I don't remember but probably I entered the string in a place (with the header CW provided)
about the digidesign extension: you said 'dp machines'... do you mean 'digital performer'? wasn't to clear to me if i would benefit from it when only using sfp, live (and sometimes cubase).
You're right, Andy - not too clear. I mean Dual Processor
OMS: when you say 'keep it open', you are saying you have actually opened it in the beginning of your session? i, for one, have NEVER opened oms once, unless a major update in my system was necessary (reinstalling,...) i thought the sequencer app or mac os automatically engaged oms (although it isn't present in the finder...). never had any problems. only with older cubase files, i sometimes get the message that oms needs another studio setup, but again it's just a click and all is fine.
There are some things in a life they are unexpalainable... The OMS app is obligatory open in my system (well, I don't use CW midi i/o now but in the previous times it was). Just open it and it opens with the so called current setup. That's all. Without it I got frequent error 2, 3 or system error (bomb error) 10 during Cubase launch. So no need to tweak, just opening the app caused 100% insurance.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2003-09-27 13:45 ]</font>
borg

Post by borg »

:oops: of course dual processor... you know, when you get something in your head, sometimes it's difficult to see other possibilities... hehe

and to be clear: the link to CW tips'n'tricks was ok, just couldn't find the entry 'async...' in the cset.ini file.
andy
the lunatics are in the hall