Some SDK docs to share

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

valis

Re: Some SDK docs to share

Post by valis »

I have no idea about joomla as pdf download, it would make sense that giving a printable view would help users save as whatever format they want (usually that means opening a page with full single page view and all ads/modules/etc hidden, and a print dialogue button). I'll look into that..

I like your outline for the SDK area, you'll note that what I have done so far on the frontend is just add a module with some offsite links. I'll get started on blocking out nav & creating some article stubs for you guys to fill out. We will have to discuss the actual details of editing on the backend in the dev forum area and perhaps facebook chat for some realtime getting up to speed. Should I add you to the dev discussion w_ellis?
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

Where is the dev discussion happening? I'm not on Facebook
RA

Post by RA »

I found this on pdf creation from articles in joomla.
Phoca seems that it could do the trick.
https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=930964

The outline is a good start yes im up with that. I have a fair amount of joomla experience since joomla 1.0x so i can find my way in that and know of it's behaviour. So id be glad to be of some help with that.
- We're freaks about gearz and methods -
More on dNa: http://dnamusic.nl
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

My web hosting provider deleted my accounts because of a billing issue, but I didn't get the emails to that effect, only the one saying the accounts were deleted. This means the SDK Wiki and scopesync.co.uk are offline for now.

I do have backups for both, but given that I've not had time to continue active development of ScopeSync in the last year or so and there has been very little engagement in the SDK Wiki, I'm inclined to leave them down for now.

Let me know if anyone wants access to content from either. The SDK wiki is MediaWiki and scopesync.co.uk is Wordpress

Similarly, the BCModular wiki is still in a bad state, after wikispaces closed down and I'm wasting money each month keeping this crappy version up: https://bcmodular.mywikis.net/wiki/Special:AllPages . Please shout if you're interested in taking this over (it's running on MediaWiki)

For now, I'm now in charge of all software engineering at SoundCloud, so I suspect the amount of time I have available isn't going increase any time soon, especially with 2 young kids :)
valis

Post by valis »

I’m willing to host whatever, but I think mediawiki runs like a dog on this box, or at least did in the past. Reach out to me. Maybe that’s good cause for a small round of donations to fund the transition.
garyb

Post by garyb »

ok, done.
valis

Post by valis »

garyb, you do stuff here too! Appreciated :)
valis

Post by valis »

Ok, looks like we'll be migrating as much as possible. Hopefully Mediawiki runs better on my box than it did previously. Ie, while this was tried before this machine has been upgraded to a different box that hopefully isn't as disk bound as before.

What was happening before... when you first hit the url for a Mediawiki domain on my box it has to wait on waiting from disk, unlike the other websites which stay loaded in RAM. The swapfile is larger now, so while the disks sleep still the site may stay in virtual ram better, and the disks we have no I believe are an SSD raid.

In any case, most of the requests for donations in the past have come from 3rd parties who were suprisingly supportive in asking for them. This time I'll go out on a limb and ask directly: Migrating SDK Wiki & BCModular Wiki - Donation Drive

Thanks to anyone that contributes!
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

w_ellis wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:35 am ...
Let me know ...
YEP, see PM
cheers ron
and let souncloud compatible to xp-browser !!please please!!
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

According to our web lead Chrome v49...
garyb

Post by garyb »

valis wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:54 pm garyb, you do stuff here too! Appreciated :)

no, but this is important.
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

valis wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:54 am I use Firefox ESR on older operating systems as well: Firefox ESR 52.9.0 System Requirements & related article: Update on Firefox Support for Windows XP and Vista & Firefox ESR's explained
YEP

vvvvv
and UC Eichhörnchen for html5 player on xp, where all other no more run...
UC_Browser
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
valis

Post by valis »

Fwiw, if you're keeping an XP era machine around for work (my Scope PC is XP32 still), surely a netbook or chromebook is within reach as well. I end up having to use Firefox ESR on my macs, as they're similar to scope in that they do audio, not much else. Plugin updates & maintenance are the main reason to even have browsers on those machines.

In any case, seems you're tech savvy & w_ellis says Chrome49 for soundcloud on WinXP :)
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

Hi all,

Thanks to those of you that have reached out via PM about helping to recover these sites. I've been totally swamped in the last little while, since I took over leading software engineering at SoundCloud at the start of the year. Last week I at last got around to digging out the backups, only to find that they hadn't been working. A lesson that never gets old :(

Anyway, at the moment, I think the BCModular wiki is the one most able to be recovered, since there's the version that someone else brought up, plus the MediaWiki version.

I think the SDK wiki is lost now, but honestly I don't believe anyone was getting much value from it. It just contained material that's available elsewhere, collected together. I'm sure someone else can do the same if the appetite is there.

ScopeSync is also a tough project for me, since I put a huge amount of time into it and I'm really not sure if it has enough value to keep investing (especially given how much time I have to dedicate to it). I think the most downloads I had of any given release was about 15 and even fewer actually did anything with it. I have enough experience to know that that means it's not useful enough to enough people. Perhaps I'll come back to it at some point, but not for now. As such, I'm not too worried that scopesync.co.uk is not up and running.

The OSC modules I built to support ScopeSync are documented here: https://github.com/bcmodular/scopeosc/wiki in case these are useful to people.

Thanks for all of the support,
Will
valis

Post by valis »

Do you need anything from me w_ellis?
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

No, thanks valis, I don't think there's anything to do right now.
valis

Post by valis »

Sorry to hear. Thanks for the update.
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

w_ellis wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:50 pm ...A lesson that never gets old :(
hey will,
always think positive,
and many many thanks for your long-term commitment!

i recommend preparing your hard work,
maybe we can revive the scopesync info page.
i use scopesync 0.42 a lot!
the automation is just GREAT, and so smooth and sensitive !!
however (only) on winXP systems, since it is optimized for Scope 100% dsp.
i just don't want to do without my huge sts library :) (+volkszampler)
but more often i check scope with 64bit systems,
should everything run once on 64bit, then i configure up > v0.42
maybe that's why only a few scoper access scopesync > v0.42?!.

~v0.4.2: A1, A2 without spapshot function scope2native, otherwise great insanity!
https://github.com/bcmodular/scopesync/releases

take care soon ( :roll: )
ron
valis

Post by valis »

Scopesync is perhaps under discussed and not well understood by many users.

Also, I wonder if we can recover some lost wiki information from the wayback machine?