Audio Workshop

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Welcome to my workshop. In the next 5 days I will try to show you how I made this AudioTrack:
http://planetz.ghostwheel.com/pub/pulsa ... lZ-MP3.mp3

I split the track in 4 groups: Drums, Pads, Seqs and Fx.
All groups are encoded as 160kb MP3 Files dircet from the orginal 32 bit, 44100 Hz CubaseVST5/32 arrangement.
MP3 use 16bit so I use the UV-22 dithering algoryhtm from Apogee which is build in Cubase5/32.

Each group file will be a .zip archive (except fx.mp3), for example the drums.zip file will contain three mp3 tracks because I use three different main drum loops.
I could mix all drums together in one mp3 track but you should feel comfortable here and this shouldn¦t be a workshop on how to cut mp3¦s.

Additonal to the mp3 files you can get all 3rd party PlugIn¦s, I archived them in the plugs.zip file.
According to the Plug In¦s I saved the Cubase effect settings of all effects I use in this track. They can be load into your Cubase.
My Pulsar SFP 3.1a Startproject, CubaseVST5/32 Mixer and arrangement default file were add to.

All files can be download here: http://www.audiodesign-digital.de/workshop/

When you are working with Cubase you will be able now to rebuild nearly the whole track, you will get nearly all effects ,effect settings and audiofiles.

In the next days I will tell you what effects with what settings I use ,on every single track.
Tomorrow I start with the drums, then pads, sequences and Sound Effects(Fx).

Please fell free to ask me any question you have, but be sure to place your questions in the question folder.
In the next 5 days I will visit this page as often as I can.

I hope this workshop will show you my way of making music and show you the way I found through all this possibiltiys of how you can make music today.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisWerner on 2002-09-09 09:21 ]</font>
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

First I will tell something about my equipment,programs and my person.

My music expirience starts in my childhood, I saw those little keyboards in warehouses and loved it to press a button and a sound appears. It has taken some time but then I got one of this little keyboards,
a Casio MT-750 Personal keyboard.
12 Polyphony and a small build in Synthesizer Unit -ADSR and pitch modulation. The keys were as long as your little finger.
It takes not a long time the Casio was worked out, I need something big now.
The Roland JD-800 was nearly ready developt. I read about that Synthesizer in a magazine and I knew I must have this thing.
Meanwhile I visit a planetarium in Bochum/Germany and watched a program called Dreamhour, they moved the stars around me and played some awesome background music, it was really a dream hour for me.
After the show I read who made this music, it was Tangerine Dream.
When you like some music you try to copy it somehow.
I got the JD-800 and I was lost in making music.

I´ve learned much about Midi, music with Computer aid, get all things together and start with my first Midi sequencing work in the early 90´s, on a PC80286 with a shareware software sequencer.
Today I´m 30 years old, a Pulsar1 with SRB, a Casio CS1x ,Yamaha Electone B-4B Organ ´74 ,a AMD XP1800+ fits my small studio in Dortmund/Germany and the JD-800 is sold.

Beside these instruments I mainly work with CubaseVST5/32 include many PlugIn´s, Reaktor 2.3 and Acid 2.0 for a quick way to arrange my sample banks and CD´s.
I´ve never study how to make music, I´m not a sound engineer or something like that, everthing I do get´s out of my stomage, proofed by my ears and decided in good or bad with my brain.

When I start with a new music track or project I don´t stop with it until it´s done, okay maybe I sleep between the days. My tracks can come into existence by only one sound, or one thought, a beat ,a wish or just a job. To make music, I always need a quite atmosphere, when you like a little bit of peace,
so I work in the evening or night if it is possible. It´s quite outside then -the world respires.

So I´ve done with this workshop track , but this time I will show you how I work.

The idea of this song comes from the CD I´ve heard :Broken China, Rick Wright , one song starts with drums left, then right finaly the center drums and bass bring everything together.
I tried to copy this style, all the other tracks of the workshoptrack are played intuitive around the drums.
I didn´t planed them, just played.

Tomorrow I start with the drums ,today you can have a look on the PlugIn´s and hear the mp3 tracks.
Every track will start dry and after 4,8,16 or 32 bars a PlugIn is add to the mix.
The last few bars of the tracks always sounds like in their final version.

CU

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisWerner on 2002-09-10 09:09 ]</font>
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Today, I would explain how I went on the drums of the workshop track. I have to say, please don´t put any gums under the tables again.

I have to explain in what sequence I load the send effects into the cubase send effects rack and how you have to hear the workshop mp3´s.
Send effect 1 will be the Multi Lens, 2nd a OhmBoyzDelay, 3rd the WaveSurroundDX, 4th RoomMachine844. You can load the effect settings from the .fxb files. You can do this by press file and load effect, located on the send effect rack or on the top of each PlugIn surface itself.

As I told, I add always one effect to the mp3mix in permant intervals, here four bars.
I start dry, then add the insert effects, then send effects, finally the cubase channel EQ.
If you import the mp3´s in your cubase, set the locators to the dry mixed array, bar 1 to bar 4.
Now you can rebuild the final version of each track and A/B them quickly with the end of each mp3.

The drums,
all drums are taken from the sample CD Vinylitics 1 and have an orginal bpm of 112 bpm.

-To fix their tempo to the song tempo of 120 bpm, I always use Sonic Foundry´s Acid, it´s fast, sure and comfortable. I just set the song tempo, load the samples and acid will do the rest.

The second step in Acid was a small pre-arrangment.
Finally I export each acid track to single 24bit wav files at -0.3db and imported them again in Cubase.

-When I use standalone samples like drums or Fx sounds, I always work on this acid way.
If the tempochange stays in a range of +30% or -30% of your project tempo, this way will be the fastest and best, I think.

For this workshop I gave you three drumloops, left, center and right drums. Each of this loops have an own Cubase track, of course.
Now I will tell you the Cubase Mixer settings of each drum track.

Left Drums are set to -6.5 db, the left channel pan is set to full left, the right cahnnel is set to the center.
No effects or EQ is use in this channel strip.

Right Drums are set to -2.1 db and the right Channel is set to full range. Left channel is set to Center.
No effects or EQ, yet.

-In that case now, you will hear a wide panorama drumsound of two drumloops that sounds like one new good mixed drumloop.

In that track they are only supporting the centerdrums.
The center drums should add and drive the left and right drums, so they will be the loudest.
Yet, I set them to -9.1db, set full panorama, reduced some bass and boost the higher frequences with the Cubase Channel Strip EQ.: 136Hz - 0.8db , 3734Hz up to 20000 +14.9db.

-In the final track I open the OhmBoysDelay once or twice for this drums, it gave me some additonal rhytm and breaks when the track stops. This was done with the mixer automation of cubase.

-You can see that I start with very low level settings, that why I would keep enough headroom for my project, for the following effects or what ever. You can drive all tracks into heaven in the end, but when you always try to get 0db, you will clip your signal soon. - start low.

All drum tracks are routed to one Group Mixer, Grp1.
-In this way, you bring all drums in one strip together and you haven´t got to load every following effect three times.

Grp1 Settings:
Inserts1: Stereo Spread(Cubase) 80% of the full panorama.

-I use the Stereo Spread on nearly every channel because it has a wider and more different panorama, maybe this is the first step of my huge and wide room secret. (@ nestor)

Insert2 is an EQ I won´t tell you because I should keep some secrets, to save my style, thanks Neil.
But I will tell you the EQ settings, so you can try these settings with your favourit EQ.
460 Hz -7.6db , 1308Hz -11.3db, 3816Hz -3,4db, 10139Hz +15.8db.

Send effect: the RoomMachine844 with 66% influence.

-You can try to use this RoomMachine to drive your drums or other sounds like a combination of compressor and reverb would do. If you use my low level way and play around with the wet/dry settings you will get stunning results.

-Remeber that the RoomMachine is a VST2.0 effect, you can record all knob movements with the Cubase mixer. Try a rhytm you like, set the mixerautomation to read and write, turn the knobs around and you can hear that your bass drum will become smaler or bigger, speaker killing HiHats and other nice things.

I must say all settings come to existence in a developing process, here I add more effect there I reduce some EQ and Level. These settings are not the gold way for all sounds.
All settings are the final settings for the workshop track.

The drums get their final boost with the mastering effect Waves L1-Ultramaximizer (waves.com for demo) or any other good maximizer. I used some hardware from a friend, a t.c. Finalizer 96k.

If you still have any question, please ask me.

See you tomorrow on the pads.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisWerner on 2002-09-10 09:10 ]</font>
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

The Pads.
Pads are these kind of sounds I like most. They can be majestic, thin, great or small, but they are always carries the song on their wings.
Pads are very important for my music, so they got my most attention.
Neil, Nestor and other asked me, "how you make this great space ?".

-I´ll tell you my way, you can try it with every pad- or what ever sound.
First I insert the stereo spread (cubase intern PlugIn) and set it to full range.
Then I use two delays to bring rhytmical movements to my pads.
I use a combination of MultiLens and OhmBoyzDelay.
The Multi Lens sounds like a delayed flanger and the ohmboyz add some dub delay style.
Both together will sound great.
Last step is the WaveArtsSurroundDX Reverb, it builds an extrem wide room (load setting from the fxb file), it will fulfill the panorama I reserved with the stereo spread. The WaveArtsSurroundDX is one of the best sounding Reverbs in our time and costs only 89.95$. If somebody have the possibility to A/B it with the Renaisance Reverb, I would have a report, please.

All pads come from my M-Tron I bought last weeks. If you like these vintage string and choir sounds you have to buy the M-Tron. With the first note I played, I was in love.

First the Strings.

I´ve copied you only the first part of the strings but it will be enough to try the effects on it and to understand how I´ve worked.
Finally I get these settings.
Level is set to -7.5db, Insert is 100% of stereo spread, Sends: 66% MultiLens, 66% OhmBoyz and
100% W-SurroundDX. No EQ.

The Choir.
In the middle of the track I played a short choir part to raise the song atmosphere again and to get back your attention.
Choir is set to -3.8db, Insert: StereoSpread 95% Panorama, Sends: 100% MultiLens, 70% OhmBoyz, 50% W-SurroundDX. No EQ.
The delay combination will work perfect here, because the choir is played short so, the full delay-might came out.
The choir sound is a triple 8 choir, 24 male and female voices under my fingers, hihi.

The third pad is a Roland VP330 vocoded sound out of my M-Tron and could be a Fx sound as well.

I just tried to copy the mirror style sound like the SonicFoundry plugIn called AcousticMirror produces.
But here no such plugIn is used, I played these retrograde sounds by myself. They should support the delay sounds this track have.
I used a autopan with a low tempo synced rate 6bpm or 0.5 Hz, as an insert effect. I would let the mirror sounds fly around.
Of course, the stereo spread is used once again with 100%. In this case the signal was to quite, so I have to use a limiter and boost up the signal +3db. The signal sounds compact and loud now.
Send Effects: MultiLens 97%, OhmBoyz 100%, W-SurroundDX 66%.
This time I have to use the ChannelEQ again : 9612Hz up to 20k Hz +10.7db, the main level set to
-7.2db.

-It´s time for sum up some things.
Let´s have a look on the stereo spread settings. You will notice that the drums will use 80% of the stereo image, the pads use 100%. The pads will be the widest sounds in this track. It is absolute important for me to build a complete room, everything should be on his place, in this case ,the drums plays in a room of pads not the pads in a room of drums.
Remember the delay combination, this will add life to your pads and remeber to provide room with the stereo spread which is used up by all the other effects.

Hope you get some good hints today, next another important part of the workshopshop-track comes up, the sequences.
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

The sequences
are produced by 2 Reaktor Ensambles called Double ASQ-1. - Author is Martin Brinkmann
2 32 step analog sequences control 2 moog style synths with midi sync, reverb, delay and distortion effects, each ensamble.
I locked the control knobs of my CS1x to the Cutoff, Resonance, Volume parameter of each sequence and midi-record my movements. I love midi.

Now, I tried to care the DelayEffects as instruments. I would play with them.
When I shortly raise the cutoff or resonance, the delays build a controlled rhytmical feedback that will be delayed again and again. The frequences overlay themselves and the border between control and random will vanish. If I change the parameters slowly, the delays sounds like flanged pads.

Cubase Channel Settings:

Seq1 get´s a Limiter as Insert Effect, bass were boost 3db, mid 0db, high band 1db.

The channel EQ gains the frequences: 1449Hz 0,9db , 4734Hz 2,7db , 10877Hz 3,7db.
I used no further effects on this sequence.

The Volume settings were record with the mixer automation, max. -8.5db.

Seq 1b:

This is the stronger sequence and gets support from the first one.
The CubaseEffect Rotary moved and flanged this seq. through the room and is add as an Insert effect. (see .fxb file)
A Stereo Spread set to full range is the second Insert Effect.

Send: MultiLens 50%, OhmBoyz 50%, W-Surround 12%.
The Volume setting is live mixed, too. max.-10,2db.
ChannelEQ gain the frequences around 1219 Hz, 4512Hz and 9269Hz by 1.1db.

In the workshop mp3´s the effects were add every 16 bars.
The workshop track was nearly ready, only the second part had space left.

Maybe some F/X sounds ?
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Sound Effects (F/X)
I found some good Effect Sounds on the sample CD Distorted Reality, like the drums, I pre-arrange and export eight EffectSounds to one wav-file with Acid.
To fit the effects to the track ambient, I used the Cubase internal TimeStretch funktion and doubled the effect track lentgh by 100%. The effects appears slower now without losing their pitch. Perfect.
I´ve only got to add some effects and the track would be ready.
In the workshop mp3, you will hear the effect track first dry then with all Cubase Effects add.
This effect track use 90% of the MultiLens, 85% OhmBoysDelay and takes 70% of the W-SurroundDX Reverb. I used no EQ and set the channel Volume to -3.1db.

Sound Effects could give your music some expensive touch or made them sound more electric, in this track they should underline the sequences, fulfill the second part and build the end of the workshop track.

-I must say that I made this effect track in 10 min. arrangement, export, Cubase import, placement.
I didn´t heard the other tracks in the background, I mixed the effects alone.
If you listen to the string-melody and the bowed metal-plate effect sound in the last part, you will hear some accident, they will fit perfectly together and build a new sound, a bowed M-Tron Metal Plate String. I like these accidental moments.

The workshop track was ready and I liked it very much.
On this track I started with the drums, build the rhytm, then I played the pads to get in mood.
All VST instrumente still in miditracks except one Reaktor track, I have to record it to an audio track, because Reaktor works only once as an VST instrument.
The sequences build the ambient and perfects the Tangerine Dream Style of this track.
At last I add the Sound Effects and Swell Pad to give this track the final touch.
No Pulsar instruments or effects used, that´s why I was a little undecided to use this workshop track, but instruments are instruments and effects are effects, it dosen´t make much different who program or build it.
After all playing, arranging and effecting there were not much headroom left, it was good that I start with a low volume on each track.
The t.c. electronic finalizer 96k done the mastering job, the signal was amplified by only -1.8 db. That´s good pre-mastering I thing.

I hope my workshop could help somebody, show you my way of making music and could gave you some good hints.
-Please send me your unanswered questions or comments.

Cu
Chris
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Chris, I deeply apologise not to be here yet, I just can't at the moment, I'm too buzy that is way I'n not yet participating with it, but as soon as I finish all I have to do, I'll come back to get on with your gentle answer to our request. I have not forgotten this at all! Be well... :smile: