Compressors pt. II - The Sound

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ganool

Post by Ganool »

I am an advanced novice when it comes to compressors. I know how they work and their purpose.

But there is one thing that really confuses me when it comes to creative producing with compressors: the sound.

People rave about the sound of the compressor. The _sound_? Ugh.

Couldn't one of you Great Compressor Gods give me (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) some practical examples? Such as a comparison with Vinco and the regular Pulsar Compressor. Or any example for that matter... how should I set the compressors to find that glorious sound many people are referring to.

Carl (good compression I suppose... the transients of the capital C whent through... :smile: ).
Ganool

Post by Ganool »

Bump.

Or am I the only one who needs help on this? :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ganool on 2002-08-08 07:59 ]</font>
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

yeah.. I want to know some of this stuff too. bump again.

Ok, I know that some compressors cause the harmonic distortions and all, for that "warm" feeling, tube whatnots and all that. Is that all that makes the difference? Are these what create the "color" of the specific comp unit?

I need to get some analogue outboard comps and start comparing them. I hear digital comps can only go so far. But they're so frickin expensive! eeeegh!
at0m

Post by at0m »

In techno (and other energetic or dance-) music, which is supposed to be played loud, compressors help to give your speakers this 'going in the red with my amp' feeling, which makes it sound warmer, louder, and very important, creates a feeling of loudness. It makes one believe the music is actually played loud, or the artist was 'pushing levels in the red'.

So at that stage, I think there should be a limiter, cos no peaks whatsoever can go louder than the amp's max power, and some slight disto/overdrive/clipback/... for warmth. The warmth that you hear, is this overdrive or overtones created by the amplifier running 'very warm'.